The Student Room Group

How Much?

A level students- On average, how often and for how long do you study per week?

I'm curious, as, after asking several of my friends today how many days a week they work and for how long, I've discovered that most of them do amazingly little.

Just want to know what the general consensus is- I know that the recommended is 4hrs per subject per week- but I don't know of anyone who does this.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I guess everyone's too busy studying their asses off to reply...
Reply 2
I procrastinate a lot so it's sporadic. It probably amounts to about 2-3 hours on about 3-4 days a week.
Reply 3
2hrs/week per subject. because i have a clever friend and the info leaks into my brain through osmosis.
Reply 4
Are you including homework in this? I say I mostly have to do about an hour a night. But ofc there are days when I have no work and days where I have about 3 hours to do.

All that time is mainly homework though, I only study in the sense that I sometimes have to re-write up notes from class and practice some maths/physics bits that I don't get.
Reply 5
Original post by JRGC
Are you including homework in this? I say I mostly have to do about an hour a night. But ofc there are days when I have no work and days where I have about 3 hours to do.

All that time is mainly homework though, I only study in the sense that I sometimes have to re-write up notes from class and practice some maths/physics bits that I don't get.

Yeh just all forms of work, including homework, coursework, extra reading etc
Reply 6
An hour a week overall for all my subjects. Though, this is increasing. It was even less last year...
Reply 7
All forms of work including extra reading... probably about 10-20 hours a week depending on how motivated I'm feeling. Near exams it'll be more motivated so it'll be nearer the top end every week
Reply 8
Original post by tateco
All forms of work including extra reading... probably about 10-20 hours a week depending on how motivated I'm feeling. Near exams it'll be more motivated so it'll be nearer the top end every week

whoahh... seriously?
Reply 9
about 4 hours a night on;
mon
tue
wed

just frees on thur and fri (work nights)
sat/sun ; as much as i can be bothered with

certainly not enough.
Reply 10
Original post by EffDee
whoahh... seriously?

Yeah? :L its only like 3-4 hours per subject per week? It's not hardcore studying, just writing up more notes, reading through notes, reading revision guides and stuff. I want to do the most competitive degree in the whole country, I can't slack.
Reply 11
Original post by tateco
Yeah? :L its only like 3-4 hours per subject per week? It's not hardcore studying, just writing up more notes, reading through notes, reading revision guides and stuff. I want to do the most competitive degree in the whole country, I can't slack.

what's that? Medicine?
And wait- as a degree? Not A levels?
Reply 12
Original post by EffDee
what's that? Medicine?
And wait- as a degree? Not A levels?

Nope, Economics. And I'm doing A-levels at the moment (AS year) but I want to do Economics at university in the future...

How much do you study a week then?
Reply 13
Original post by tateco
Nope, Economics. And I'm doing A-levels at the moment (AS year) but I want to do Economics at university in the future...

How much do you study a week then?

I don't think Economics is necessarily the most competitive...I would've thought it was Law or Medicine? Who knows...?

Uhm it depends, usually during exam time i study more than I sleep, breath and eat.

I suppose I do a couple of hours a night, but I do usually a half day on the weekend too.
Reply 14
Original post by Tara_Ward
2hrs/week per subject. because i have a clever friend and the info leaks into my brain through osmosis.

but that would be diffusion, no? :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by Elise713

I was thinking of this actually +1
Original post by EffDee
I was thinking of this actually +1

osmosis only applies to water :tongue: - GCSE Biology lol
Reply 17
Original post by EffDee
I don't think Economics is necessarily the most competitive...I would've thought it was Law or Medicine? Who knows...?

Uhm it depends, usually during exam time i study more than I sleep, breath and eat.

I suppose I do a couple of hours a night, but I do usually a half day on the weekend too.

Economics is the most competitive now, if you look at universities asking for A*'s in their offers you'd be very shocked comparing economics and law

Cheers for the neg, bound to be some medicine or law applicant sour that they aren't applying for the top course any more, statistics don't lie.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Elise713

Shhhhhhh :P
I don't do any homework and inly really do any work outside of school when it comes to revising

Quick Reply

Latest