The Student Room Group

how long before my nails grow?

ive recently stopped biting my nails (been biting since i was a toddler, never stopped before)

and was wondering how long before they are long?

i have quite short nails. like i cant tap them of the table but not DISGUSTINGLY short.

but yeah. im trying.

and will they be weak and horrid?

any other nail biters out there got any advice on how to stop for good as well ? :P
(edited 13 years ago)
It will take a long, long time most likely. Obviously depends person to person, but I know someone who stopped biting his nails at 10, when they were these tiny little slivers, probs 1cm by 0.5 cm, and even now, they haven't fully grown back. (The guy's 19 now)
Reply 2
Original post by Straight up G
It will take a long, long time most likely. Obviously depends person to person, but I know someone who stopped biting his nails at 10, when they were these tiny little slivers, probs 1cm by 0.5 cm, and even now, they haven't fully grown back. (The guy's 19 now)

That's just weird. I had a whole nail come off after shutting my finger in a door when I was 10. I can't remember how long it took to grow back but definitely no more than a year, and probably half that tbh.
Original post by ily_em
That's just weird. I had a whole nail come off after shutting my finger in a door when I was 10. I can't remember how long it took to grow back but definitely no more than a year, and probably half that tbh.

Yeah, I know, seriously weird. I've had whole nails come off quite a few times now (slammed in a car door, cricket accident, dropped a weight on it) and mine always grow back relatively quickly now I think about it.

Ignore my earlier answer OP
Reply 4
There's a lot of nail strengthening products you can buy which might help, but I'm not sure how effective they are. I paint my nails every day 'cause I'm a freak like that, and I use nail strengthening nail varnish removed which makes my nails strong, and grow real fast. And as for biting your nails, have you tried using that product which makes your nails taste real bad, so you won't want to bite them? It's what a friend of mine did :smile:
Original post by nixter121
There's a lot of nail strengthening products you can buy which might help, but I'm not sure how effective they are. I paint my nails every day 'cause I'm a freak like that, and I use nail strengthening nail varnish removed which makes my nails strong, and grow real fast. And as for biting your nails, have you tried using that product which makes your nails taste real bad, so you won't want to bite them? It's what a friend of mine did :smile:

i dont mind the taste of it! haha.
my mum used to put it on me. and i would bite them anyway!
Reply 6
Original post by LouisVuitton43
i dont mind the taste of it! haha.
my mum used to put it on me. and i would bite them anyway!

ah... that could be a problem :/ What about painting them? If it was me I wouldn't want to mess up the nail varnish, and it tastes grim?
Reply 7
I am trying to stop biting my nails. Any suggestions? I have been biting and (especially) picking them forever (I am 23). It is just so addicting.
Reply 8
ive recently stopped biting my nails (been biting since i was a toddler, never stopped before)

i have quite short nails. like i cant tap them of the table but not DISGUSTINGLY short.

but yeah. im trying.

any other nail biters out there got any advice on how to stop for good as well ? :P

Stopping biting: willpower or put stuff on them that tastes nasty.

Keeping them strong: eating brazil nuts and apricots hardens your nails up in no time. Mine are usually quite flexible but a bit of those and you can't bend them at all. If you're doing something like washing dishes try either wearing gloves or drying them very well straight away.

I bit my nails so bad when I was little that they were often sore and bleeding. One day I just decided I was going to stop and since then am constantly asked if my nails are fake! Don't know whether that's a compliment or an insult really.
I just stopped as well, very proud of myself :biggrin: Mine started growing immediately and I've been biting them ever since I can remember so... maybe it's different for each person. I just stopped through willpower :yep: Good luck, OP!
I stopped a few years ago through will power and wanting nice looking nails/hands, though of course they went through stages of constantly breaking. I use a strengthener and then wear nail varnish, even if it's just clear. My nails grow faster this way plus they look great and feel strong.
Reply 11
I'm amazed you've been able to stop.
I've not tried to stop but I feel it's just a part of me now that won't change (and i'm not entirely bothered by it).

Apparently coating your nails in some disgusting tasting liquid is good for stopping, but I forgot the name of it.

but yeah. im trying.

I bit my nails down to the elbows until I was about 22. I stopped doing it and they took about 2 months to get some decent growth on them. Since then they've been lovely. I've got really long, and strong nails now. I've never looked back. They make you're hands look sooo nice. I stopped by just biting my thumb nails, and leaving the rest alone. When they started to get long and I saw how good they looked, it was easy to stop biting the thumbs then. Got this tip off a girl I worked with. Nice one.
Good luck.x
Reply 13
Literally stopped biting my nails 3 months ago and now they're quite long, in that you wouldnt know that I'd bitten them for 20 years at all. And that's with them breaking a couple of times too. I used this StopNGrow stuff, sceptical cos I've tried all those things before but it tasted horrific and you only really need it for a couple of weeks and then you can see a bit of growth and then you kinda dont want to bite them after that.
Original post by Lylat
I'm amazed you've been able to stop.
I've not tried to stop but I feel it's just a part of me now that won't change (and i'm not entirely bothered by it).

Apparently coating your nails in some disgusting tasting liquid is good for stopping, but I forgot the name of it.

Just bought the product today from Boots, its called nail stop and grow and damn, it does taste terrible!!! couldn't wait to try it so applied it as soon as i got home and now i can't even eat my meal (which i'm supposed to use hands) but yea, will see how it goes. it says on the pack it takes approx 3 weeks so hopefully i'll be having nails by then coz the state of them right now......hmmm, scary!!
Reply 15
Apply neem oil in your fingers to avoid you biting your nails
Also have your mouth engaged with something fir example chewing gum, talking etc.

Quick Reply

Latest