The Student Room Group

which is the "best" out of my choices? (film pro.)

sorry for another one of these but i know you all secretly love judging them so..

i've had talks with a few of my teachers and i keep getting different responses so i thought i'd see what everyone that's applying for the same thinks

my choices are..
University of Reading - Television, Film & Theatre - Conditional
University of Westminster - Television - Conditional

and then these two that i haven't got replies from yet but i'm going to badly assume that they're conditionals for the moment..
Oxford Brookes University - Publishing Media/Film Studies
University of the Arts London - Film and Television

if a few people could give me their opinions on them and maybe suggest which would be the best to firm and insurance, it would help a whole lot as i'm finding this hard.

Reply 1
Well I can't really help you with the question because I'm not from UK... But I think Westminster is a pretty good choice out of those you have mentioned... Especially if you want to spend a lot of time doing projects than just reading film books.

Actually I happened to have the same question about two of my choices. I just can't made my mind between Westminster and AUCB... Both have offered me a place for next September:

Westminster: Film & Television Production
AUCB: Film Production

I know people like to say AUCB is the better one, or even the best for Film Production in UK, but I would like to know what people here think. Which one should I choose? I come from Finland so I don't really know about these universities in UK... I know both are supposed to be good ones but... Well I just don't know! Someone any help?
Reply 2
Obviously you know that I'm gonna recommend Reading! Our brand spanking £11 million pound department building is opening in a months time, so you'll be able to take full advantage of it, the editing suites and theatres look AMAZING, so excited! Although in the first year, I would say that the ratio is around 25% PRactical to 75% Theoretical, you get to see multiple theatre performances which helps to well culture you. In the second/third year there is more customisation however, and you'll be able to focus on more specific aspects of your degree. Also, the social life here is amazing! I've mentioned in the Uni of Reading forum about it, but it will more than satisfy your needs!
Reading !
Reply 4
Original post by JohnnyA
Well I can't really help you with the question because I'm not from UK... But I think Westminster is a pretty good choice out of those you have mentioned... Especially if you want to spend a lot of time doing projects than just reading film books.

Actually I happened to have the same question about two of my choices. I just can't made my mind between Westminster and AUCB... Both have offered me a place for next September:

Westminster: Film & Television Production
AUCB: Film Production

I know people like to say AUCB is the better one, or even the best for Film Production in UK, but I would like to know what people here think. Which one should I choose? I come from Finland so I don't really know about these universities in UK... I know both are supposed to be good ones but... Well I just don't know! Someone any help?

yeah, i'm trying to get as much advice as possible and my 2nd media teacher said go with the one with modules that appeal to me the most which on the surface is Westminster (it seems like there's more variation but i know that most degrees are really flexible) but he said he personally went to Westminster for his MA and it was amazing for media subjects so yeah.

i haven't actually read anything about people actually AT AUCB, only that it's the best and such and i hold personal accounts a bit higher than like.. made up league tables at the moment :/

they're both really good universities and the dealbreaker for me would be that Westminster is near central London and AUCB isn't.. that's my only big crit of it..

but about my choices, yeah the whole slight prestige of reading on a general is bringing me in, the only thing i have against it is that it's not one of it's main subjects (like there's only 2 majorly media subjects at the entire uni) unlike Westminster's Harrow campus :/ and the modules but i might go try and find a like.. exhaustive list of reading's options..
but yeah i love the city, like i know i do so yeah..

kind of said that oxford brookes is almost not in my running, i liked it there!

WHY CAN'T I WANT TO DO HISTORY AND THIS BE AN EASY DECISION JHEEZZZZ
Reply 5
I personally preferred Westminister to ACUB, and of course the location may work to your advantage. Have you visited them all?
Reply 6
i have a similar problem i cant decide on a second choice its between AUCB (year 0) and Westminster, the only other problem is that westminster grades are the same as my first choice so i rang them and they said they may be flexible on one grade but i don't know if i should risk it and obviously the AUCB is a Year 0 which means an extra year.

thoughts?? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Gamistar
I personally preferred Westminister to ACUB, and of course the location may work to your advantage. Have you visited them all?

i've seen Westminster and Oxford Brookes and really liked both (i haven't applied to AUCB) and i'm waiting on a visit day to Reading..
my teachers have all said Westminster which was a shock but the more i think about it the more it makes sense..

sabby333
i have a similar problem i cant decide on a second choice its between AUCB (year 0) and Westminster, the only other problem is that westminster grades are the same as my first choice so i rang them and they said they may be flexible on one grade but i don't know if i should risk it and obviously the AUCB is a Year 0 which means an extra year.

thoughts?? :smile:

erm.. well for me it would be about the time as i do want to kind of, get out into to real world of working asap but with a degree so i wouldn't want to do any more time than needed but if you think the course would be best suited to you then go for AUCB.. Westminster dropped their grades one down for me i think (normally BBB, mines BBC, predicted ABCc) so i'm figuring they'd do it for others..
again, yeah have you been to both? if not, definitely go to Westminster.. it was a lot more than i expected..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending