The Student Room Group

Oxbridge conferences

Some people in my AS year this year have been invited by the school to go to one of these conferences where I guess they talk to you about applying to Oxbridge and different things you should do, however I didn't get asked to go on it (I don't really know why, they did it on GCSE's I guess but mine were still pretty good...). Anyway I ended up getting an average of 97% in my four January AS modules and so I'm seriously considering applying there now. I'm just wondering are these conferences worth going to? And another thing, if the school don't recognise I could be applying their will I be at a disadvantage? Or will they not really do anything to help anyway?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tateco
Some people in my AS year this year have been invited by the school to go to one of these conferences where I guess they talk to you about applying to Oxbridge and different things you should do, however I didn't get asked to go on it (I don't really know why, they did it on GCSE's I guess but mine were still pretty good...). Anyway I ended up getting an average of 97% in my four January AS modules and so I'm seriously considering applying their now. I'm just wondering are these conferences worth going to? And another thing, if the school don't recognise I could be applying their will I be at a disadvantage? Or will they not really do anything to help anyway?

Neither Oxford nor Cambridge will care whether you went on a conference day - you can go to see the uni and just walk round yourself anytime to see the Colleges etc. or they usually have subject open days during the year that you can go to to learn more about the university and course. You could talk to your school about whether they can still get you into one of the conferences though, if you think you'd like to go.

Tell your school you are thinking of applying just to make sure they have you on their mental lists as someone who will need to have their UCAS form in for the early (October) deadline. How much help they give you depends on your school really, but you don't usually need your school to do more than write you a good reference on time. Don't listen to them if they tell you that you must have 10 A*s to apply!

Congratulations on your results and good luck for your application :smile:
Reply 2
I went to one in Liverpool last year...it was okay,it didn't really tell me anything special. It was good to talk to students already at Oxbridge though,it was interesting to see what they thought. There were lecture/seminar things on Oxbridge in general,Finance,the application process and then subject specific ones. I'd go for it if I were you!
I went last year, it was interesting but it didn't give me too much information that we hadn't already had from school.

BUT you need to tell your school if you think you're going to apply because your UCAS will have to be in for the early deadline, 10th October if I remember correctly (possibly 15th, but around then anyway!) and therefore your reference etc will need to be done earlier.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :biggrin:
My advice would be go to one!!! I went to the Cambridge Law Conference and it was a great experience. It certainly changes your perceptions of what the University is like and helps you decide whether it is right for you.
Also, I made friends on the Conference that I am still in contact with and will be fellow Freshers *if* I get my grades!
So well worth it I would say. And it looks good on UCAS - Universities may like the fact that you have an idea what your course will actually be like to study at Uni.
Reply 5
Most schools don't have these conferences, however the sessions my school set up were very helpful (and the group trips to visit both unis each Easter are extremely fun!), but that doesn't mean you're disadvantaged.

However, I have to say that applying to Oxbridge for Economics without Further Maths may be a problem. You should seriously consider dropping Biology or something after AS and fast track Further Maths next year!
I also read an article in The Guardian today saying those applicants to Oxford who had attended Conferences had a success rate of 40% when being given an offer - double the chances of a normal candidate.
Of course, this may just be coincidence, think of it what you will.
Reply 7
Original post by AnonyMatt
Most schools don't have these conferences, however the sessions my school set up were very helpful (and the group trips to visit both unis each Easter are extremely fun!), but that doesn't mean you're disadvantaged.

However, I have to say that applying to Oxbridge for Economics without Further Maths may be a problem. You should seriously consider dropping Biology or something after AS and fast track Further Maths next year!

Thanks for the advice :smile: I already plan on dropping Biology next year and taking up further maths AS next year :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Festina lente
Neither Oxford nor Cambridge will care whether you went on a conference day - you can go to see the uni and just walk round yourself anytime to see the Colleges etc. or they usually have subject open days during the year that you can go to to learn more about the university and course. You could talk to your school about whether they can still get you into one of the conferences though, if you think you'd like to go.

Tell your school you are thinking of applying just to make sure they have you on their mental lists as someone who will need to have their UCAS form in for the early (October) deadline. How much help they give you depends on your school really, but you don't usually need your school to do more than write you a good reference on time. Don't listen to them if they tell you that you must have 10 A*s to apply!

Congratulations on your results and good luck for your application :smile:

Thanks for the help, I'll talk to someone at school about it on Monday... I'm not at all bothered about missing the conference but I would just like them to know that I'm keen on applying just so they know for the future
Reply 9
Original post by FlobberDobber
I also read an article in The Guardian today saying those applicants to Oxford who had attended Conferences had a success rate of 40% when being given an offer - double the chances of a normal candidate.

That article actually says that about summer schools, not conferences. Link here.

The latest admissions figures show high success rates for candidates who attended Oxford's summer school for state school pupils. More than 40% of summer school students received offers a success rate nearly double that of all applicants.

OP, mention it to someone at your school, ask if you can go. Your school will need to know if you're considering applying, and it will hopefully mean you won't miss anything else like this in future.
Reply 10
Original post by Plonk

OP, mention it to someone at your school, ask if you can go. Your school will need to know if you're considering applying, and it will hopefully mean you won't miss anything else like this in future.

What should I say to them?
Reply 11
Are my GCSE results good enough for law at Oxford?
GCSE Results :
English Literature A *
English language A *
Chemistry A*
Biology A
Physics A
History A *
Geography A
Math A*
French A
Welsh Language A
Welsh Literature A

As : Are my A's results good enough for law at Oxford?
English Literature A ( as percentage 96%)
History A (as percentage 95%)
Geography A ( as percentage 97 %)
Biology A ( as percentage 89%)
Chemistry A ( as percentage 90%)

I am the type of student who does better at A level rather than GCSE simply because i prefer learning when the subject is narrow and deep, rather than wide and shallow . I have made connections with many barrister chambers and have had work experience with numerous barristers even a QC, also have had work experience with numerous solicitors . I am a member of the local football team and rugby. Have i got a good chance being accepted by Oxford for law ? Need advice .
Reply 12
Original post by tateco
Some people in my AS year this year have been invited by the school to go to one of these conferences where I guess they talk to you about applying to Oxbridge and different things you should do, however I didn't get asked to go on it (I don't really know why, they did it on GCSE's I guess but mine were still pretty good...). Anyway I ended up getting an average of 97% in my four January AS modules and so I'm seriously considering applying there now. I'm just wondering are these conferences worth going to? And another thing, if the school don't recognise I could be applying their will I be at a disadvantage? Or will they not really do anything to help anyway?

I didn't get invited to go to one of these Oxbridge Conferences last year because of my below-Oxbridge-standard GCSEs. I just turned up anyway, and ended up being the only one from my college to get an offer...
Reply 13
Original post by FlobberDobber

I read that, however if I remember right it wasn't conferences - it was the selective summer schools, which makes more sense. Just to clear things up for the OP.
Original post by D.V.Evans
GCSE Results :
English Literature A *
English language A *
Chemistry A*
Biology A
Physics A
History A *
Geography A
Math A*
French A
Welsh Language A
Welsh Literature A

I am the type of student who does better at A level rather than GCSE simply because i prefer learning when the subject is narrow and deep, rather than wide and shallow . I have made connections with many barrister chambers and have had work experience with numerous barristers even a QC, also have had work experience with numerous solicitors . I am a member of the local football team and rugby. Have i got a good chance being accepted by Oxford for law ? Need advice .

You're in the wrong thread.

Btw, Cambridge sees module marks, Oxford doesn't (at least that's how it was this year). Impressive UMS though.

It's one choice out of 5. Apply. Personally I'd say you have as good a chance as anyone else applying (read: you have a good chance, apply).
Reply 15
Original post by D.V.Evans
GCSE Results :
English Literature A *
English language A *
Chemistry A*
Biology A
Physics A
History A *
Geography A
Math A*
French A
Welsh Language A
Welsh Literature A

Your grades should definitely give you a good chance of getting in, and with ample work experience, which is hopefully evidence of a strong interest in the subject, you appear to be well set-up for a very strong application.

Just make sure that everything else, i.e. PS, LNAT and interview, are equally as strong, and you will have a good chance :wink:
Reply 16
Im going to one of these.. 25th march, at the emirates stadium, i'll tell you how it goes, rather excited actually.

Quick Reply

Latest