The Student Room Group

A-LEVELS SCIENCE SUBJECTS HELP!!!!----help needed from A-A* students

Hey guyz,

I don't understand what is going on here.....my grades seems to be dropping and I don't understand why.
Last year at AS...the first january exams, i got ABB A in Biology, B in chemistry (2 from an A) and an B in maths (one from an A). My particular concern is Biology...In the summer, due to lack of understanding, i think, i got a C in the summer exam, which was shocking because i thought i had figured out the technique but this year, I worked very hard again to improve my biology grade and it got even worse, I got a D (2marks from a C not that it matters anyway, i would have still been disappointed with a C, especially a low one)...i really dont know what i'm doing wrong...please suggest how you prepare for it and any help on coursework preparation is really useful too.

Thanks
Reply 1
I'm not an A* A level student because I enjoyed my youth too much. I'm probably just as, if not more so, intelligent as the vast majority that gained straight A*s.

SHAME YOU DON'T WANT MAH HELP.
Reply 2
Original post by miss_sexy
Hey guyz,

I don't understand what is going on here.....my grades seems to be dropping and I don't understand why.
Last year at AS...the first january exams, i got ABB A in Biology, B in chemistry (2 from an A) and an B in maths (one from an A). My particular concern is Biology...In the summer, due to lack of understanding, i think, i got a C in the summer exam, which was shocking because i thought i had figured out the technique but this year, I worked very hard again to improve my biology grade and it got even worse, I got a D (2marks from a C not that it matters anyway, i would have still been disappointed with a C, especially a low one)...i really dont know what i'm doing wrong...please suggest how you prepare for it and any help on coursework preparation is really useful too.

Thanks

Which exam board are you with for Biology?
I think the key with sciences is to do lots and lots of past papers.
Print out the specification for each unit and make sure you know each of the bullet points of it.
That's really what I do to prepare. I hope this is somewhat helpful!
Hey guyz,

Thanks

Im sitting on As in both chem and bio... Biology more so but what i do is print the syllabus (spelling) and go through it point by point ryting everything in a "revision book", learning every curve they culd ask... I then write my own questions based on my revision book and answer them.. Then i go online and look at past papers and print questions to do with the relative topic... I then move on the next day to the the next topic but before moving on i take 15 minutes to recall everything i know from the previous night! That is how i do it and it seems to be working as i just got 100% in my chem and 99 in biology...

Hope it helps
Reply 4
Hey guyz,

Thanks

I've moved this to the A-Levels forum from Current Affairs. Please read the following information: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1512970
Reply 5
Original post by furryboo123
Which exam board are you with for Biology?
I think the key with sciences is to do lots and lots of past papers.
Print out the specification for each unit and make sure you know each of the bullet points of it.
That's really what I do to prepare. I hope this is somewhat helpful!

AQA Biology...i did the past papers, used the revision guide and my textbook
Reply 6
Original post by concubine
I'm not an A* A level student because I enjoyed my youth too much. I'm probably just as, if not more so, intelligent as the vast majority that gained straight A*s.

SHAME YOU DON'T WANT MAH HELP.

Contradiction me thinks?
Reply 7
AQA Biology...i did the past papers, used the revision guide and my textbook

Oh right well I'm with OCR so I can't really comment on AQA.
Could it have just been a bad exam or two?
Are you using all the terminology in your answers and correctly?
Honestly I'm not too sure what else I can say, sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest