The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Goldsmiths firmers - 2011 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by twist.the.illusion
Why is Loring so popular?! I'm questioning my choices now!

Dooon't, I will join you in Chesterman hopefully :biggrin:
I have that as my first, then Surrey House Annexe and then Loring.
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Original post by skyja
Dooon't, I will join you in Chesterman hopefully :biggrin:
I have that as my first, then Surrey House Annexe and then Loring.

Definitely time for tea!!
Reply 82
Original post by Bimmo
Just emailed my application, Loring Hall first choice! Anyone else the same?

Loring first as well! Then Chesterman and Surrey house annexe.
Haha my mum had such a big issue with choosing 'No preference' for same sex or mixed. She was like "all the boys will be drinkinggggg!!!"
Reply 83
Original post by Bimmo
Yeah I am coming towards the end of my gap year with an unconditional offer for English. Can't believe how **** it has been, just been stuck working in an office for most of it, been able to read loads though :smile:. What are you looking to do at Goldsmiths? What are you predicted/ got at AS?

ahh, awh i wanted a gap year, where did you work?
English and Comparative Literature
I'm predicted AAB, but retook the one with the B and got an A :smile: x
Why is Loring so popular?! I'm questioning my choices now!

As my mum put it (yes my mother), it's right next to a large pub. So when you feeling like putting your drunk self to bed you can just roll from the pub to your bed, sleep it off, and roll right out and into your classes. :wink:
Original post by sleepinglessons
As my mum put it (yes my mother), it's right next to a large pub. So when you feeling like putting your drunk self to bed you can just roll from the pub to your bed, sleep it off, and roll right out and into your classes. :wink:

Bare too old for that sort of nonsense!
Love your screen name though!
Reply 86
Original post by nerd123
ahh, awh i wanted a gap year, where did you work?
English and Comparative Literature
I'm predicted AAB, but retook the one with the B and got an A :smile: x

Really?! I hated my gap year from the minute I started it and practically all my other mates where at uni. I work for Lloyds Banking Group transfering bank accounts basically :/ pretty boring, but I have learnt to touch-type which is good I suppose. Wow three As?! I almost resat my B to get three As but I really cant be bothered.
Reply 87
Original post by Shambhavi
Loring first as well! Then Chesterman and Surrey house annexe.
Haha my mum had such a big issue with choosing 'No preference' for same sex or mixed. She was like "all the boys will be drinkinggggg!!!"

All the boys!! Haha as if! It will most definately be both! What did you end up choosing! I went for mixed sex.
Reply 88
thinking to firm for psychology :erm:
Reply 89
Original post by blush.ox
thinking to firm for psychology :erm:

what other choices do you have?
You're the only one I've heard about so far that has an offer and is thinking about firming :smile: every one else seems to be hiding somewhere
Reply 90
Original post by Bimmo
All the boys!! Haha as if! It will most definately be both! What did you end up choosing! I went for mixed sex.

Hahaha Indian mothers, what can you do? Parents still think I hate the taste of alcohol and I couldn't be bothered to tell them otherwise haha. I chose no preference cause it doesn't really matter to me. There's gonna be loads of other people to get know and stuff.

When are everyone's courses starting? Ive gotta to be there Sept 26th which seems pretty late and I know someone whose course starts on Sept 1st so I'm really confused about how freshers and orientation and stuff work!
Original post by Shambhavi
Hahaha Indian mothers, what can you do? Parents still think I hate the taste of alcohol and I couldn't be bothered to tell them otherwise haha. I chose no preference cause it doesn't really matter to me. There's gonna be loads of other people to get know and stuff.

When are everyone's courses starting? Ive gotta to be there Sept 26th which seems pretty late and I know someone whose course starts on Sept 1st so I'm really confused about how freshers and orientation and stuff work!

Where does it say what date your course starts?
Reply 92
Where does it say what date your course starts?

I believe it says on your track. You can also however find the term dates on the homepage. I am not sure how it is for us freshers though, as freshers week is a week before everything actually starts, if I remember it correctly.
Reply 93
Original post by skyja
I believe it says on your track. You can also however find the term dates on the homepage. I am not sure how it is for us freshers though, as freshers week is a week before everything actually starts, if I remember it correctly.

Yeah it said so on my offer letter and they basically said that I can move into my room on the 26th and my classes start on the 4th of October so I'm guessing the week inbetween is freshers but I'm an international student so maybe that's when it starts for us, but then why would they want classes and stuff to be divided?

I could be extremely wrong however, but here's what it says on my letter -

The College term dates for your programme of study during 2011-2012 will
be:

Autumn Term: 26 September 2011 16 December 2011
Spring Term: 09 January 2012 23 March 2012
Summer Term: 23 April 2012 –15 June 2012
Original post by Bimmo
Yeah I have been to my friends Unis where they have En Suites and it is sooooo much better than having to share a bathroom with loads of people. Loring is definately my first choice, I just like being in a place where something is always going on. What grades did you get/are predicted at A Level. Have you seen the reading list yet? I am a bit worried because I kind of do my own thing when it comes to reading :/

Yeah someone from TSR sent me the reading list, I tend to do the same but on the whole the books listed are ones I've wanted to read anyway but haven't had time to! Predicted AAB but my offer is for ABB and I think it's more likely I'll be getting ABB if that :P
Reply 95
Bare too old for that sort of nonsense!

Glad I'm not the only OAP!

Did you include anything about being placed with mature students when you applied for accommodation?
Reply 96
Original post by natalieisrevising
i'll be studying history. i can't wait. and 24 isn't old at all. i don't even think anyone will pick out the 'mature' students in a room. i am hopeless with knowing how old a person looks :colondollar::biggrin:

will you be living in halls or do you live in london? :smile:

I'll be living in halls. Yet to apply though as I'm waiting on one more uni to get back to me before I confirm all my choices.

I'm hoping to sneak under the radar as though I'm getting on in years I still look about 14 in the flesh!

Where are you moving from?
Original post by badapples
Glad I'm not the only OAP!

Did you include anything about being placed with mature students when you applied for accommodation?

I didn't. Did you? Was there an option to? I'm sure I read somewhere that they try and group people together age/course wise but I may have imagined that! I don't want to be stuck in with the 18 year olds!
Reply 98
I didn't. Did you? Was there an option to? I'm sure I read somewhere that they try and group people together age/course wise but I may have imagined that! I don't want to be stuck in with the 18 year olds!

Ah no I haven't applied yet. And yes I'm fairly sure that the staff group mature students together so don't worry if you haven't explicitly stated anything. I doubt you need to, I was just wondering is all.

Sure you won't be stuck with 'the youth'!
Original post by badapples
Ah no I haven't applied yet. And yes I'm fairly sure that the staff group mature students together so don't worry if you haven't explicitly stated anything. I doubt you need to, I was just wondering is all.

Sure you won't be stuck with 'the youth'!

THAT BLOODY YOUTH!!!

Here's what Accommodation wrote me when I asked:

We start allocating rooms and sending offers in June, and we always try to
allocate mature students together. Unfortunately it is not always possible -
it depends on the number of mature students who applied for a particular
type of accommodation. Sometimes we put mature undergraduates students with
younger postgraduates if there are vacancies but it all depends on
availability and can not be guaranteed.

We will do our best to find the most suitable accommodation for you

It's not that I mind being with all people fresh out of school, but it would be nice to at least have one person around my age so we can help one another out when it comes to taking long afternoon naps, going to bingo and collecting irrelevant things

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending