The Student Room Group

Would you learn with this instructor?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Once again, thank you for being honest and open with me. There have been a number of consistent opinions which have come out in your replies. I tried to quote a number of them as a reference but it didn't work so I will comment generally if I may - it's probably more inclusive anyway.

The majority of you, regardless of age, have declared no problem. It is more than I expected and I am very grateful. A small minority have said they would be uncomfortable - again thank you for being honest and I have no issue at all. It is, after all, your choice entirely.

Some have suggested a change of demographic to try to find more business. I have taken this on board, have contacted a couple of local LGBT groups from the links provided and am working out how to cover the issue on my website without being too obtrusive. Whilst I want to encourage LGBT folk to come to me, I don't want to put others off.

There has been a lot of encouragement not to give up something I love and I needed to hear that - so to all those who offered that pearl of wisdom, thank you.

There is a suggestion that some pupils will struggle to communicate with me and vice versa. I have not found this, even with those who have not come back. We have had good conversations and a bit of fun along the way. On a couple of occasions hysterics, of the laughter kind, have occurred...:biggrin: Whilst my voice is an issue to me (no, I don't sound like an Essex builder) I try hard to make it as consistent as possible with my appearance (I don't look like a builder from anywhere!), particularly on first meetings. When it tends to let me down the most is on the phone, apparently due to phone technology!

Curiosity is an interesting thing and it's not something that I hide away from. In my lessons I have had a number of situations where pupils are simply not aware. I have had others who are curious and have asked me questions. I've also had those who have made no comment. All three are fine with me.

In answer to a couple of specifics, I would have thought it was obvious which way I have jumped over the fence. And my current medical state is no-one's business but my own!

The LGBT label is adopted by trans people usually because there is safety in numbers. Unfortunately the label is inaccurate because being trans refers to gender not to sexuality or more specifically sexual orientation. You can actually be LT, GT or BT or indeed HT (Heterosexual and Trans). People always assume that because I am trans, I am gay - that isn't necessarily the case.

Finally, it is as safe, if not safer, to get into a car with a transsexual instructor as it is to get into a car with anyone, for two reasons. First they will have been CRB checked because it is now a requirement from the DSA. I have been and whilst it is not a guarantee of impropriety, it should bring some comfort. Secondly, most transsexual people have absolutely zero libido due to the combination of hormones - i.e., it's absolutely the last thing on my mind! I have to say that I have been contacted by two male driving instructors making improper suggestions! I worry about their female pupils!

So thank you for your honesty and support - it has helped me to strengthen my resolve, understand the issues and move on to a stronger place.
Reply 61
To be honest it would be a strange distraction from the driving, as it would be if my instructor dressed as a penguin
Reply 62
It would not bother me in the slightest, im gay myself so I understand you would have struggled with this for some time and I would respect you for having the courage to do what you want.
I wouldnt care as long as you were a good instructor and reasonably priced. I know quite a few transexuals though so Im used to it but perhaps others arent so may feel a bit uncomfortable at first.
Reply 64
I'm 23 and not a learner anymore but even back when I was 17 and learning it wouldn't have bothered me. It's the kind of thing that I might be surprised to hear but then I would just get on with my lesson. I would never assume that because an instructor was transsexual that I wouldn't be able to talk to or feel comfortable around them. My impression of you, from what you've posted on here, is that you seem like a very competent and understanding instructor and that is what I would be looking for.

I agree with what others have suggested in terms of trying to encourage former pupils to give recommendations and trying to foster relations with LGBT societies which would surely create interest amongst members but perhaps also their wider circle of friends. I know it isn't easy but it would be such a shame for you to give up on something that you obviously enjoy and are good at. Hopefully the many positive responses on this thread have provided some reassurance. I respect you for raising this topic and genuinely wish you the best of luck.
Reply 65
I probably wouldn't notice lol. I'm not very observant- would just think you were female with a deep voice :redface:
To be perfectly honest..it doesn't make an ounce of difference to me. However, growing up one of my mums closest friends was a trans man. So i suppose i grew up in a very open minded environment, hence my present attitude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending