The Student Room Group

A2 Physics Unit 4 and 5 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vampire-Love4ever
Do we need to know how to derive Newton's Law of Gravitation?

That can't be derived. It's a law.
Original post by Summerdays

Original post by Summerdays
That can't be derived. It's a law.

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Vampire-Love4ever
Do we need to know how to derive Newton's Law of Gravitation?

Not really "derive" it as such, but I guess know that the force due to gravity was measured & shown to be proportional to Mm and 1/r^2 so a constant was introduced.
Original post by Smithy-92

Not really "derive" it as such, but I guess know that the force due to gravity was measured & shown to be proportional to Mm and 1/r^2 so a constant was introduced.

Thanks alot! :smile:
Reply 124
Original post by Rosie2039

Original post by Rosie2039
Heya!
I noticed there wasn't an A2 GCE Physics Revision thread so I started one :smile:
As you people might know that Unit 4 will be on 21st and Unit 5 will be on 27th.
So I was thinking that we could help each other out, clear some doubts and of course motivate each other :biggrin:
I have January and June 2010 papers with marking schemes so if you want you can ask. :smile:
Good luck everyone and I'll be waiting for your response!

have u got jun 11 paper by any chance :biggrin: joking but i m stressed about unit 4 and 5 at least i will get a good 6 days before unit 5 but unit 4 magnetism is hard
Reply 125
can anyone expalin to me how transformer works and what key terms i need to know i m guessing this time the 6 mark question will be on transformer which i dont know so please help!!! anyone:s-smilie:
Original post by kp_93

Original post by kp_93
can anyone expalin to me how transformer works and what key terms i need to know i m guessing this time the 6 mark question will be on transformer which i dont know so please help!!! anyone:s-smilie:

Transformer effect:

*If the current in a coil changes, then so does the magnetic field produced.
*If the changing magnetic flux links with another coil then there'll be emf induced in that coil.
*The coil in which the current is changing is referred to as the primary. The other coil is called secondary.
*To ensure maximum flux linkage between the two coils they are mounted on soft iron core, which becomes magnetized when current flows in the primary, and flux is channeled to the secondary.

(edited 12 years ago)
aaarrrgghhhh spoilers! havent learned transformers yet xD

aaarrrgghhhh spoilers! havent learned transformers yet xD

Sorry! :redface:
Reply 129
can anyone explain these questions to me?

What would the period of rotation of the Earth need to be if objects at the equator were
to appear weightless?
radius of Earth = 6.4 × 106 m

A 4.5 × 10–2 hours
B 1.4 hours
C 24 hours
D 160 hours

A 10 mF capacitor is charged to 10 V and then discharged completely through a small
motor. During the process, the motor lifts a weight of mass 0.10 kg. If 10% of the
energy stored in the capacitor is used to lift the weight, through what approximate
height will the weight be lifted?

A 0.05 m
B 0.10 m
C 0.50 m
D 1.00 m

thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 130
Original post by kp_93
have u got jun 11 paper by any chance :biggrin: joking but i m stressed about unit 4 and 5 at least i will get a good 6 days before unit 5 but unit 4 magnetism is hard

Scroll down on the first page of this thread you'll find the papers there :smile:
Original post by nikoriku
can anyone explain these questions to me?

What would the period of rotation of the Earth need to be if objects at the equator were
to appear weightless?
radius of Earth = 6.4 × 106 m

A 4.5 × 10–2 hours
B 1.4 hours
C 24 hours
D 160 hours

I'm trying to figure out how to approach this, but can't seem to get there. My current thinking is something along the lines of: Current value of g at equator is 9.8 and to appear weightless, g would be 1? And then use g = v^2/r but getting nowhere. I think I'm missing something..

EDIT: Scrap the g=1 thats stupid xD, Use 9.8 = v^2/r to give v as 7919.6ms-1 speed of rotation and v=2pir/T gives T as 1.4 hours.

Original post by nikoriku
A 10 mF capacitor is charged to 10 V and then discharged completely through a small
motor. During the process, the motor lifts a weight of mass 0.10 kg. If 10% of the
energy stored in the capacitor is used to lift the weight, through what approximate
height will the weight be lifted?

A 0.05 m
B 0.10 m
C 0.50 m
D 1.00 m

Energy discharged from capacitor = 0.5CV^2 = 0.5 x 10 x 10^-3 x 10^2 = 0.5J

10% of this is used by the motor, so 0.05J is the potential energy gained by the weight, mgh = 0.05 gives h = 0.051m
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 132
I'm trying to figure out how to approach this, but can't seem to get there. My current thinking is something along the lines of: Current value of g at equator is 9.8 and to appear weightless, g would be 1? And then use g = v^2/r but getting nowhere. I think I'm missing something.. Maybe Summerdays can help? :tongue:

Energy discharged from capacitor = 0.5CV^2 = 0.5 x 10 x 10^-3 x 10^2 = 0.5J

10% of this is used by the motor, so 0.05J is the potential energy gained by the weight, mgh = 0.05 gives h = 0.051m

The centripetal force, from the circular motion of the earth has got to over come the gravitation force of the earth.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by gummers
The centripetal force, from the circular motion of the earth has got to over come the gravitation force of the earth.

Complete the question then? :tongue: Ah nevermind, I got it. I was right with my original thinking g=v^2/r but with g as 9.8
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 134
Hey does anyone know where the question are that go with these answers?
Original post by thedcase
Hey does anyone know where the question are that go with these answers?

I believe they're from here: http://cid-5432f573d3fc3f5a.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/Physics/Units?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=1663039
Reply 136
2010 unit 5 marking scheme
Reply 137
Thank you Smithy :smile:
Reply 138
anyone got the january 2011 aqa unit 4 paper?
Reply 139
Can Anyone help me out with the difference between geo-synchronous orbits & geostationary?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending