The Student Room Group

Which access course?

Currently in full time employment at the moment, but I won't be leaving until atleast another 18 months. For the time being i'm just trying to gather some information so I can make the right choice when the time comes to it.

I want to go to university, but having left full-time education with few and poor AS level grades I feel the best route for me to take is an access course. I have a few ideas on what type of degree i'd like to do but haven't completely narrowed it down to just one. Mainly looking at computing, architecture (high standard required and from what i've read a tough place to secure?) or something involving media, not entirely sure yet. I'm just wondering how relevant does the access course have to be to what your degree choice will be? As the college closest to me doesn't really offer a wide range of access courses, none that really go along with what i'd be looking to do in uni anyway.

Any help will be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
If possible it is best to do a course which is relevant to the degree you hope to study. Computing/Media/Architecture covers a pretty wide area, it may be difficult to find an access course which is relevant to all three.

I would say do plenty of research on course entry requirements by looking through UCAS and University websites. Try and find out what kind of subjects they are asking for........... there is little point doing an Access to HE course which focuses on humanities if the Uni requires science or maths for entry purposes.....

The access to he website: http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/ might be worth a look as well...... it isn't the best site in the world as the search function only appears to work when it wants too, but it may help you find some courses running locally.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, i've already stumbled upon the site. It offers little help, the main thing i'm finding difficult is the variety of access courses available to me in my local area. Guess i'm just going to have to keep searching.....
Reply 3
I would suggest that you attend the Open days run by the uni's, that way you can get a feel for the place and the possible course. You should also be able to find out what the uni's require from you to be offered a place.

The access course is still fairly new, most last year were only vaguely aware of it, but I imagine this year they will have a better idea what they require. Armed with better information, you should be able to make more informed and realistic decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending