The Student Room Group

Oxford Medicine Deferred Entry

I am looking to apply in the next year to Oxford for medicine and I want to take a gap year, I have read the website where they say if you do you have to be among the top applicants that will be accepted. I was wondering whether anyone had experience of applying for deferred entry at Oxford med school or had any advice :smile:
I want to apply to St Johns or Hertford College,
My GCSEs are 9A*s (Bio, chem, physics, maths, eng. Lit, geog, French, Russian, Dt) and an A in eng lang (IGCSE)
Work experience wise I have 2 1/2 weeks in hospitals in the UK, 3 days shadowing a GP, 2 days at a pharmaceutical company, 2 weeks medical shadowing and volunteering in Tanzania (I got a travel grant), and I went to a medicourse. I volunteer in a local primary school, with St John ambulance, with a literacy project for children new to the UK, at a hospice, at an elderly home and do residential weeks helping special needs children.
I have practised the BMAT and got 6.2 in section 1 and 6 in section 2
And for my gap year I will spend 1 month teaching first aid in Malawi, 2 months doing medical work experience abroad, 2 months working in a medical research lab and the rest travelling and working (ideally in an Apple Store or in the NHS)

Any help/advice would be appreciated, thanks :smile:
Reply 1
What are your A-level grades?
Reply 2
Have not done a-level yet, am on AS but looking to apply. I have done my first modules in bio and chem worth 30% of my AS and got 88/90 in bio and 80/90 in chem and got 39/40 I think in both PSAs
Reply 3
Hey crazychef,

I was just wondering if you did decide to apply with deferred entry and if you were successful or not at Oxford and other universities?

Considering this myself! Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending