The Student Room Group

Durham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
I called up Helen and she told me i was to be rejected sometime this week. On to next year.
Original post by Shreyank
I called up Helen and she told me i was to be rejected sometime this week. On to next year.

Ah damn sorry to hear that :frown: Have they just left the rejections until the end? Because I really wanted to go to Durham :frown:
Reply 342
Hey Everyone,
I'll be part of your Medsoc Committee next year (if you decide to firm durham that is) Just currently making a facebook page which will be the main page you use for atleast the first few months at durham.
So if you've either firmed or are seriously considering firming durham feel free to join it!
just search "Durham Medicine Freshers 2012" in facebook and it should (hopefully) come up
Oh and any questions dont hesitate to drop me a message on here (cant promise i'll reply that quickly with it being exam season and all but i'll try my best!)

x
Reply 343
Original post by agd
Hey Everyone,
I'll be part of your Medsoc Committee next year (if you decide to firm durham that is) Just currently making a facebook page which will be the main page you use for atleast the first few months at durham.
So if you've either firmed or are seriously considering firming durham feel free to join it!
just search "Durham Medicine Freshers 2012" in facebook and it should (hopefully) come up
Oh and any questions dont hesitate to drop me a message on here (cant promise i'll reply that quickly with it being exam season and all but i'll try my best!)

x

Hiya! I'm almost definitely going to firm Durham so I hope you don't mind answering a few questions. :smile: What sort of events do you organise in Medsoc? I heard that it's quite popular, even students from other courses join - is that true? Finally, what colours are the hoodies, and can you buy them during freshers' week? :tongue:
Reply 344
Original post by Panda89
Hiya! I'm almost definitely going to firm Durham so I hope you don't mind answering a few questions. :smile: What sort of events do you organise in Medsoc? I heard that it's quite popular, even students from other courses join - is that true? Finally, what colours are the hoodies, and can you buy them during freshers' week? :tongue:

You should definately firm durham, i was unsure before I did but its one of the best decisions i've ever made...
Events wise there are all sorts, this year there've been trips to newcastle, curry night, film night, metroline, the list goes on...your ents officers for next year are awesome and if there are any ideas youve got im sure theyll be more than happy to look into them! Students from other courses cant join medsoc but they can, and do, come to the medsoc events (at a slightly higher cost than medsoc members)
Stash wise, theres much more available than just hoodies and you can choose your own colour but they arent available during freshers week, we got ours around november time i think, but obviously new committee so it all depends
Hope that helps :smile:

x
Original post by agd
x
x

hi :smile:
i'm an international student, definitely firming durham for 2012 entry.
was wondering, about the allocation of a college for queens campus. dont quite understand how it goes about

i've already firmed durham on track. do i just wait for a letter from durham that contains an application for me to choose a college or... how does it go about exactly?

i never specified anything about colleges in my ucas application btw, so i guess i have an open application. does that mean that the university will choose the college for me, means i dont have an option here?

any clarification on this would be great.
thanks!
Original post by Med_Geek
Ah damn sorry to hear that :frown: Have they just left the rejections until the end? Because I really wanted to go to Durham :frown:

Anyone know? :frown: I would ring them up, but I don't want to seem pushy! I just want this so badly :frown:
Got an offer on Friday! Definitely going to firm Durham :smile: Was honestly expecting a rejection as I hadn't heard anything. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.
Original post by BlackberryandApple
Got an offer on Friday! Definitely going to firm Durham :smile: Was honestly expecting a rejection as I hadn't heard anything. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.

Well this has definitely given me hope! :biggrin: Congrats on your offer! Are you going to firm it?
Original post by agd
Hey Everyone,

x

Hi, I have had an offer for Durham and *think* i am going to make it my firm, but there are just a couple of questions i would like to ask you. Firstly, for the halls of residence, can you stay in a room for 2 or more years or are you given the boot after a certain amount of time to make room for new students? Also, when you are assigned regional clusters for hospital experience, what happens if you are assigned to a hospital in Carlisle or somewhere equally as remote!? do you have to travel there regularly, as it's quite a haul to travel there from Stockton, to say the least. Any extra info about mobility during the course would be appreciated too! Thanks :smile:
Original post by MrRobbieHorton
Hi, I have had an offer for Durham and *think* i am going to make it my firm, but there are just a couple of questions i would like to ask you. Firstly, for the halls of residence, can you stay in a room for 2 or more years or are you given the boot after a certain amount of time to make room for new students? Also, when you are assigned regional clusters for hospital experience, what happens if you are assigned to a hospital in Carlisle or somewhere equally as remote!? do you have to travel there regularly, as it's quite a haul to travel there from Stockton, to say the least. Any extra info about mobility during the course would be appreciated too! Thanks :smile:

For Stephenson you only stay in for one year and live out the second. Agd can answer for Snow, but I assume it's the same. It won't really be a problem at all because housing in this region is cheap and abundant.

When you reach clinical years you're officially a Newcastle student rather than a Durham one, and all your lectures (apart from 12 weeks in fourth year, I'm told) become hospital based in the base unit you've chosen. Furthermore, you get to choose your base unit, or at least assign a preference. If you're adamant you don't want to go to Carlisle/Northumbria in general you almost definitely won't. Finally, Carlisle, specifically, actually provides free accommodation for the time you live there as a perk because of it's remoteness - it wants students.
Reply 351
Original post by caramelorchoc
hi :smile:
i'm an international student, definitely firming durham for 2012 entry.
was wondering, about the allocation of a college for queens campus. dont quite understand how it goes about

i've already firmed durham on track. do i just wait for a letter from durham that contains an application for me to choose a college or... how does it go about exactly?

i never specified anything about colleges in my ucas application btw, so i guess i have an open application. does that mean that the university will choose the college for me, means i dont have an option here?

any clarification on this would be great.
thanks!

Im not entirely sure if it workd differently for international students, but I remember applying for a specific college 3-4 weeks after receiving/firming my offer, I assume it will be the same. So just wait on it, i'm sure you will be hearing from them in no time!

Original post by MrRobbieHorton

Snow works exactly the same as stephenson, you are only in halls for the first year. Hopefully Blorcyn answered everything else for you!

X
Reply 352
Question for current students: I've started looking into part time jobs (not the most fun aspect of preparing for medical school but and unfortunate necessity!) and I was wondering whether anyone could let me know roughly what the hours are in terms of lectures. I've heard that at a number of medical schools you are basically in 9-5 or thereabouts Monday to Friday, is this true of Durham?

Also anyone had any luck looking for spare rooms yet? There aren't too many advertised on Durham's website, I hope I'm not too late as I really will struggle to afford halls.
Reply 353
Original post by MusicNow
Question for current students: I've started looking into part time jobs (not the most fun aspect of preparing for medical school but and unfortunate necessity!) and I was wondering whether anyone could let me know roughly what the hours are in terms of lectures. I've heard that at a number of medical schools you are basically in 9-5 or thereabouts Monday to Friday, is this true of Durham?

Also anyone had any luck looking for spare rooms yet? There aren't too many advertised on Durham's website, I hope I'm not too late as I really will struggle to afford halls.

9-5 is pretty much right for the first year, you tend to get the odd hour off here and there but the actual timetable reads as 9-5 (appart from wednesday which is 9-1)
You also might need to take into consideration that every now and then you will have hospital visits, family project visits and after christmas community placement

Accomodation wise, maybe give Mandy Wright/Emma Cuthbertson a call (the accomodation advisers) on 01913340033, they'll be able to give you more advise on your options. It also might be an idea to look into sharing with any other people on TSR/freshers facebook page who are looking for somewhere

X
Reply 354
I emailed Helen there yesterday asking what the update was and she said she was due to hear back from main admissions today to let her know how many offers could be made??? Dot really know whether this is significant or not but I decided I'd pass it on.... The 'no news' thing is a disaster...
Original post by mm89
I emailed Helen there yesterday asking what the update was and she said she was due to hear back from main admissions today to let her know how many offers could be made??? Dot really know whether this is significant or not but I decided I'd pass it on.... The 'no news' thing is a disaster...

Ahhhh I get what you mean. This is literally KILLING me :frown: :'( Thanks for the update though! Really appreciate it! :smile:
Rejected. Adios, amigos!
Reply 357
Original post by Med_Geek
Rejected. Adios, amigos!

I'm sorry to hear that. What did you think of your interview performance? Perhaps you should request a feedback. I hope you'll give Durham another shot next year (if you're thinking of reapplying, that is). :smile:
Reply 358
rejected 1p.m or earlier today. Will be requesting feedback and then deciding whether to reapply to Durham next year. Now have to plan a complicated gap year.
Reply 359
I'm currently at Durham, so if any of you have questions that haven't already been asked/answered then please don't hesitate to ask me, I'll be more than happy to help :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending