The Student Room Group

GCSE WJEC English Langauge Paper 1 Exam 16th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Benmaster
The question said it was in a classroom...:confused:

lol i had already planned a decription of the sky before the exam and my teacher said it would be a good way to start off B1, but then when i saw what i had to describe i had to link it in to the description. Soo i said about the sky and the sun and how it lazily watches the children through the classroom window during their art lesson
Reply 81
Original post by hippyhey27
holy muther ****** hell

did anyone spot that bit (section A) where it talked about yossarian and saying He wants to stay in the hospital and then later on i saw it saying something like this she ... something.... something

I'm like....... WTF is this yossarian a fkin boy or girl......lol

I noticed that as I was reading the extract aswell. If the she/he was used for the character Yossarian the exam board will get puzzled when writing the mark scheme. I chose 'The New Arrival' title but forgot to put it at the top of my story - will this effect my grade as I did put the title in the PLAN but not at the TOP of the STORY.
Reply 82
yh i heard that the grade boundaries are around 75% for A* but that wjec do not publish their grade boundaries so i am confused to what they are exactly as the teachers keep on going on at how they are 90% but i dont know any exam that is 90% raw marks
Reply 83
beautiful
Original post by Sir Lagsalot
question: does WJEC convert the marks into UMS and change the grade boundaries per exam?

I can't find that information on their website and my teachers are as clueless as i am.

No, they don't convert to UMS since there are no units as such. Only modular courses use UMS. WJEC add up all your marks from cw, speaking and listening and both exams and then its the total number of marks that determines your grade. It's those total boundaries that can change.
Original post by itsmehello
lol i had already planned a decription of the sky before the exam and my teacher said it would be a good way to start off B1, but then when i saw what i had to describe i had to link it in to the description. Soo i said about the sky and the sun and how it lazily watches the children through the classroom window during their art lesson

Ahh.. Well I have to say I did a very similar thing! Beforehand I prepared a description of a chav/teenager. So I said that the teacher had pictures of his son by his desk, and described those pictures. :tongue:
Original post by hippyhey27
holy muther ****** hell

did anyone spot that bit (section A) where it talked about yossarian and saying He wants to stay in the hospital and then later on i saw it saying something like this she ... something.... something

I'm like....... WTF is this yossarian a fkin boy or girl......lol

I noticed that as well, but after reading that bit a few times over a noticed it could be about the writer giving death a personality, I found the quote that might help. 'They couldn't dominate Death inside the hospital, but they certainly made her behave. They had taught her manners' in this quote the 'her' is obviously directed at the death not Yossarian.
Reply 87
Grade 5 is a C on Section A. 20/40 = C
Grade 12 is a C on Section B/ 24/40 = C
i mentioned that they personified death to answer one of the questions by saying it makes it seem more brutal...something along those lines
:biggrin: dunno if i would get an extra mark though
Reply 89
Original post by ells-13
Grade 5 is a C on Section A. 20/40 = C
Grade 12 is a C on Section B/ 24/40 = C

what do the grade 5 and grade 12 mean?!
i think he means 5/10 marks in each question in section A
and 12/20 marks in B1 and B2 will get you a C
Reply 91
I hope the boundaries are really low and since mostly everyone I've spoken to have found it awful I'm pretty sure they must be lower than usual surely ?

80% for the a* ?
Reply 92
Original post by steff11
I hope the boundaries are really low and since mostly everyone I've spoken to have found it awful I'm pretty sure they must be lower than usual surely ?

80% for the a* ?

The section A was the worse, I just couldn't get my head around what was actually going on. I wonder if they'll credit various interpretations. All of the past paper section A's were fine, but this was just WJEC being plain harsh.
Reply 93
i totally ****ed up in this exam.
i just rambled on pointlessly about how the Yossarian guy was cleary insane.
looking forward to wednesday.
-______-
Reply 94
I thought it was quite alriite but the reading extract was confusing what was happening to the soldier in white, did he die twice or what
Reply 95
My story was pretty epic. I chose C cant remember what the title was though, but basically my story was this i wrote it in first person narrative : Some man recieves a letter about an exabition to mount Tonka in the amazon rainforset, its costs 2000 pounds , he sends a cheque to a company called trek.com, he indulges in a photo of a taster of what he was to see, i was describing how i felt and imaging what he would see and experience with interesting metaphors similes and so on, wakes up the next day full of excitment to turn on the TV with headlines of thousands scammed by a company called tek.com, he was sad and so on. Moral of the story to good to be true,
hmm ..
Well A1: yehh I pretty much understood it, fairly easy
A2: urmm yeh this question was fine too :smile:
A3: hmm .. ok well i sort of got it, tried explaining it the best I could
A4: woahh !! what ?? come again lol ?? .. i found this very difficult. I put something like 'people could interpret the ending in many ways e.g
- Think Yossarian is infact the crazy one
- The war left a massive impact on him' and one more point lol

B1: hmm i think i did welll. It was caotic (spelt wrong), loud and messy :smile:
B2: wrote the 'new arrival' story. About a 7 year old girl whos baby brother had just been born. She started getting jelous and thought that it was evil and was taking her parents away from her. Then finally, she and her baby brother manage to make friends lol. It was supposedly a cute little story :smile: hope I did well :biggrin:
does anyone remember some lines of their B1? i would really like to compare language :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Scott what kind of stuff did u write?
I remember bits of it:
The thick layer of paint glides down the canvas, passionately and delicately, it pauses at the edge perilously hanging before splattering on the ground. A little girl with a profusion of blonde clusters on her hair beams with ecstasy as she dips her hand in the inky-blue black paint and daintily skips over to the canvas and leaves a small hand print. Mesmerised by her creation she tries again but only leaves a faint print. Gleefully she shows her friends....
The sun higher up in the sky now peeps through the windows and admires the childrens creativity and observes the dull classroom now in vibrant colours giving it a warm and homely feel
Reply 99
Original post by ScottENGLAND
does anyone remember some lines of their B1? i would really like to compare language :biggrin:

*tries to remember*
Something about shrieks and squawks filling the air, while retaliations reverberated off classroom walls :P.

I remember waffling quite a bit, not my strongest paper at all I don't think xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending