The Student Room Group

Loan Application Mistake - Advice Needed ASAP!

Hi, I plan to start uni in the autumn, and so I recently filled out my student finance application, but then realised that I had applied for 2010/11 instead of 2011/12 (let's move past what a stupid mistake this was...)

I called the Student Finance Helpline, and they said that they would cancel my application and that then I would be able to start over and apply for 2011/12. I've been checking my account, and the application has NOT been cancelled (it's been 3 days now) and the deadline is in 2 weeks.

It won't let me apply for 2011/12 until my 2010/11 has been "processed". But I don't want it processed, I want it cancelled. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to cancel an application?

I'm in trouble if its more than 2 weeks.
Advice much appreciated!
Reply 1
It took 7 days for me. It's taken longer for others though I think.
Took a couple of days for me when i made that mistake a few month back. It will probs take same time as Swindan as they are most likely very busy due to having such an incompetent website.
Reply 3
I used Student Finance Wales and I did the exact same thing! I was misinformed..
Anyway, I sent them a message as I applied online and they told me that I had to do a "Change of Circumstances" form and send it to my LA. Not too sure if you have the same process but it took a couple of days and they were fine with it! Because it wasn't SFW who actually processes it.
So just do both in case it takes a week to finally cancel it! So just keep on pestering them!
Thanks all.
I'll give it a while.
Original post by freddieofarrell

Original post by freddieofarrell
Hi, I plan to start uni in the autumn, and so I recently filled out my student finance application, but then realised that I had applied for 2010/11 instead of 2011/12 (let's move past what a stupid mistake this was...)

I called the Student Finance Helpline, and they said that they would cancel my application and that then I would be able to start over and apply for 2011/12. I've been checking my account, and the application has NOT been cancelled (it's been 3 days now) and the deadline is in 2 weeks.

It won't let me apply for 2011/12 until my 2010/11 has been "processed". But I don't want it processed, I want it cancelled. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to cancel an application?

I'm in trouble if its more than 2 weeks.
Advice much appreciated!

I did the VERY SAME THING! UCAS are not very clear! They should state that 2010/11 is for RETURNING STUDENTS ONLY.
Original post by Lana_07

Original post by Lana_07
I used Student Finance Wales and I did the exact same thing! I was misinformed..
Anyway, I sent them a message as I applied online and they told me that I had to do a "Change of Circumstances" form and send it to my LA. Not too sure if you have the same process but it took a couple of days and they were fine with it! Because it wasn't SFW who actually processes it.
So just do both in case it takes a week to finally cancel it! So just keep on pestering them!

Surely seeing as I put start date 1st of Sept 2011 and finish date June 2014 and that my course lasts three years that they would work out the mistake for themselves??? (And I put the loan was for my FIRST YEAR OF STUDY!!!)
Reply 7
Original post by wotmakeshertik
I did the VERY SAME THING! UCAS are not very clear! They should state that 2010/11 is for RETURNING STUDENTS ONLY.

What do you mean? Returning students apply for 2011/12 if they're after funding for next year too. Are you blaming UCAS for you not knowing which academic year you're applying for?
Reply 8
Surely seeing as I put start date 1st of Sept 2011 and finish date June 2014 and that my course lasts three years that they would work out the mistake for themselves??? (And I put the loan was for my FIRST YEAR OF STUDY!!!)

Well not for me, I put first year of study but they still said I needed to re-do it as I got an e-mail saying that I had applied for the wrong academic year. I was told on the phone from Student Finance to actually fill out the 2010/11 but my council told me different!
Who knows.. They obviously have mixed up on communication between themselves somewhere!
On the Wales' website it says now that all student whether deferred or not they have to fill in the same application so obviously it has caused problems :s-smilie:
Original post by Lana_07

Original post by Lana_07
Well not for me, I put first year of study but they still said I needed to re-do it as I got an e-mail saying that I had applied for the wrong academic year. I was told on the phone from Student Finance to actually fill out the 2010/11 but my council told me different!
Who knows.. They obviously have mixed up on communication between themselves somewhere!
On the Wales' website it says now that all student whether deferred or not they have to fill in the same application so obviously it has caused problems :s-smilie:

Roll on September!!!!X
Reply 10
Roll on September!!!!X

Can't wait! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending