The Student Room Group

Signing off the Jobcentre

I have been at the Jobcentre for about 7 months and I have had enough. How can signing a couple of bits of paper and look at a computer screen help me find a job? The advisers I've dealt with have not made any effort to help me find a job, no suggestions or anything of the kind. Please don't try to persuade me not to leave, I have made up my mind.

I wish to sign off tommorow, how do I go about doing this?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Just don't show up to your next sign on meeting?

They'll mail you out a p45 within a few days.

That's what I've done any time I wanted to come off benefits. Or decided a holiday was more fun than going along to a fairly excruciating meeting for 90 odd quid.

Be sure its what you want to do though- once you go off you have to go through the whole process to get it started again.
Just don't turn up. Simples
Reply 3
Original post by Dirks
Just don't show up to your next sign on meeting?

Oh I'm going in. I will be happy to tell them why I wish to sign off. After six months, one got his benefits cut down. I was punished only because I have no job. This is one reason why I'm leaving.

Also, they want me to continue working at my local charity shop, do more hours there AND go to Brent Cross to work for M&S and work X amount of hours. Brent Cross is too far away for me and I can count at least 3 M&Ss closer to me. I have told them this, they don't listen. I cannot be blamed for trying, I blame them for not listening to me at all since I signed on.
Reply 4
On your signing in book there should be a number to ring for when you no longer wish to claim. Ring it.

Or just don't go back.

But having a rant? Yeah, real mature.
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
On your signing in book there should be a number to ring for when you no longer wish to claim. Ring it.

Or just don't go back.

But having a rant? Yeah, real mature.

I never said rant.
Don't just think jobcentre try different place ask them to give you work programme.
Reply 7
Original post by bengalisoldier
Don't just think jobcentre try different place ask them to give you work programme.

I appreciate your suggestion but I have made my mind up. All the interviews I have had were found by myself with no help from the Jobcentre in any way. Signing your name on a couple of bits of small paper every week/two weeks doesn't help in the slightest. Money is not an issue as I do not spend my money unless I absolutely have to, with is rare (I still get pocket money at my age, 20! But I'm not complaining).

My CV has been checked out by an outside group who are in the jobcentre once every so often and it's good. I know I can get a job, we all can. The jobcentre is nothing more than a distraction to me. While I could be looking for work, I have to go to this depressing and demoralizing place every week. I can and will do better without them.
Reply 8
You're making it sound like they force you to go in every single day of the week, with absolutely no benefits whatsoever. You get money while you actively try and find work. If you sign off now, you're still going to be jobless, except now you'll no longer have this money, which can help pay for things like travel expenses when looking for jobs.

You go in for a few hours at most. Let's say you allocate 10am-5pm for job hunting during the week, then the job centre visits are taking out 3-4 hours out of a 35 hour week. That's about 30 hours you still have for job hunting.

If you "can do better without them", why not just take that attitude and use it to do your best to find a job, and in the meantime continue to receive this helpful money? It just sounds like you're using them as an excuse.
Reply 9
Original post by Dinosaurus
You're making it sound like they force you to go in every single day of the week, with absolutely no benefits whatsoever. You get money while you actively try and find work. If you sign off now, you're still going to be jobless, except now you'll no longer have this money, which can help pay for things like travel expenses when looking for jobs.

You go in for a few hours at most. Let's say you allocate 10am-5pm for job hunting during the week, then the job centre visits are taking out 3-4 hours out of a 35 hour week. That's about 30 hours you still have for job hunting.

If you "can do better without them", why not just take that attitude and use it to do your best to find a job, and in the meantime continue to receive this helpful money? It just sounds like you're using them as an excuse.

I respect your opinion but I never wanted to sign on or take from the state. My mother was under the assumption that I had to. Never argue with my mother!

The money isn't an issue. I survived without jobseekers and will continue to do so. If the money was vital, as in I may not be able to live a normal life without it, I'd stay. But that is not the case with me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending