The Student Room Group

National Insurance Number for Tuition Loan.

Hello,
I am applying for a tuition loan (and no maintenance loan) for the academic year 2023/2024.
I have a British Passport. However, I live in the EU, and have done so for my entire life, using "my right to reside". I understand that this is seen as equivalent to living in the UK for the tuition loan, and would only be an issue if I was applying for the maintenance loan.
I am being asked for a National Insurance Number. I don't have one, because I have never lived in the UK, and would like to know if this is an issue. I could offer more details if necessary, but the basic question is that I am wondering whether I could get my tuition loan without a National Insurance Number, and if I can't, how could I get a National Insurance Number if I don't live in the UK. I worry that if I send off my application right now, without a NIN, I might be asked to turn up at a JobCentre Plus for an interview to get my NIN, despite not living in the UK.
Cordially,
Original post by johnsmithsmith
Hello,
I am applying for a tuition loan (and no maintenance loan) for the academic year 2023/2024.
I have a British Passport. However, I live in the EU, and have done so for my entire life, using "my right to reside". I understand that this is seen as equivalent to living in the UK for the tuition loan, and would only be an issue if I was applying for the maintenance loan.
I am being asked for a National Insurance Number. I don't have one, because I have never lived in the UK, and would like to know if this is an issue. I could offer more details if necessary, but the basic question is that I am wondering whether I could get my tuition loan without a National Insurance Number, and if I can't, how could I get a National Insurance Number if I don't live in the UK. I worry that if I send off my application right now, without a NIN, I might be asked to turn up at a JobCentre Plus for an interview to get my NIN, despite not living in the UK.
Cordially,

Hi John,

Have you applied for EU funding or home funding?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi John,

Have you applied for EU funding or home funding?

Thanks,
Claire

Hi,
Home funding. (tuition loan, no maintenance loan).
Original post by johnsmithsmith
Hi,
Home funding. (tuition loan, no maintenance loan).

Hi there, Once your application has been fully assessed a The Department of Works and Pensions will be in contact with you to arrange an appointment to apply for 1. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending