The Student Room Group

Offered a job I don't really want

For reasons that seemed sensible at the time but I now can't explain, I applied for a summer job about two months ago - figured it'd be good interview practice. Found out today that they're offering me the job.

Thing is, I don't actually want it. I've had a hard year at uni (pretty full-on course) and this job has too many hours per week. I'd like some time to enjoy the summer and it's not like I need the money, so I'm planning to turn it down.

However, people have told me that that seems ungrateful. Is it?
Reply 1
Why don't you take it up, and see how it goes? You might like having lots of money
**** what people say. If you don't want it, don't take it. They shortlist candidates for a reason.

People will say all sorts of **** to comfort themselves because 'there just aren't any jobs out there!!111'
Reply 3
Original post by BigBonsaiGuy
For reasons that seemed sensible at the time but I now can't explain, I applied for a summer job about two months ago - figured it'd be good interview practice. Found out today that they're offering me the job.

Thing is, I don't actually want it. I've had a hard year at uni (pretty full-on course) and this job has too many hours per week. I'd like some time to enjoy the summer and it's not like I need the money, so I'm planning to turn it down.

it's totally up to you, if you don't want it then don't take it, someone who needs/really wants it might get offered in your place. To be fair it was me i would take it but every person's reasoning changes, no one can really tell you what to do, but if you make a decision, don't let it be because you felt it was rude, no point spending your time doing something you don't want to do...
Just tell them that you've been offered another job that you've accepted, so can't take it on.
Reply 5
nah, turn it down if thats what you want to do. enjoy your summer!
Original post by BigBonsaiGuy

No, that's entirely your prerogative. The company won't want someone working for them who isn't completely commited.
How about asking if you could do less hours?
So you can still have the money job, and a good summer.
Reply 8
What the hell has gratitude got to do with it? Do your friends have jobs? It doesn't sound like it.
Reply 9
I think at University it's becoming all the more necessary to take summer jobs. The experience is very important when it comes to competing for you grad job, which I assume you will actually want. It does give you a big advantage if you have already had past work experience, in anything!

My course is pretty full on too, and as much as I would like to chill out and unwind, I need to get on with it and get some work experience. I actually took my first summer off, but when I got back I saw that my friends had summer jobs left right and centre. Luckily I'm on a 4 year course, so I could afford not working in the first summer.

I don't think you're being ungrateful, but I think that at Uni when you are hoping for a job at the end, it's not school anymore and you can't just spend the whole 3months chilling.

ps. That said, doing a job you don't want to do isn't the most fun thing in the world! So if you really don't want to do it then don't take it.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you have not worked before - take it.
If you have not had similar experience of the role - take it.
Otherwise don't bother.
Reply 11
If you don't want the job just tell them. I'm sure they will be able to fill the position.
Reply 12
Original post by sam1990
I think at University it's becoming all the more necessary to take summer jobs. The experience is very important when it comes to competing for you grad job, which I assume you will actually want. It does give you a big advantage if you have already had past work experience, in anything!

My course is pretty full on too, and as much as I would like to chill out and unwind, I need to get on with it and get some work experience. I actually took my first summer off, but when I got back I saw that my friends had summer jobs left right and centre. Luckily I'm on a 4 year course, so I could afford not working in the first summer.

I don't think you're being ungrateful, but I think that at Uni when you are hoping for a job at the end, it's not school anymore and you can't just spend the whole 3months chilling.

ps. That said, doing a job you don't want to do isn't the most fun thing in the world! So if you really don't want to do it then don't take it.

But I didn't take my first summer off. I worked last summer, doing the exact same job, just in a different company.

Original post by mandingo666
If you have not worked before - take it.
If you have not had similar experience of the role - take it.
Otherwise don't bother.

I've worked, and in exactly the same job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending