The Student Room Group

Not getting paid after closing time - pub

I recently got a new job working for a large pub chain. If we are working until closing time, we don't get paid for the cleaning and tidying afterwards, even if it takes hours. For example, on a Friday night I might work from 7pm to 12.30am, but not be paid for the cleaning and restocking which could take until 2.30 or 3am. Everyone else seems to be fine with this. Is this normal procedure? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have no idea what standard procedure or anything is, but surely if you are still there working you should be paid for it regardless of whether the pub is actually open or not? I guess the problem is that there is no set amount of time which it will take? In the same way I would imagine people who work in bakeries are paid for having to turn up early to bake the bread etc.
Largely, yeah. My mum doesn't get paid for staying at her work after the hours she's contracted to work, but she's obliged to remain there to help tidy up afterwards.
Reply 3
Yeah I think that's pretty normal. Unfair, but normal.
Reply 4
I don't know if it's standard procedure, either. I only know that it's morally wrong of your employers, and probably illegal for them to put pressure on you to work in slavery...... And make no mistake, that's exactly what is going on here.

The reason employers get away with treating their employees like dirt, is because there are so many people who take on jobs, and in their desperation to remain in the the manager's good books, (and eventually leave with good refs, even though it's illegal for employers to give you a bad reference) enslave each other by the application of peer pressure..... They'll imply that because they are going beyond the brief of the contract, you are letting your mates down by moaning about it...

Time to find a new job, perhaps?
Reply 5
**** that.
Reply 6
What's your wages like? If this takes you under minimum wage it's illegal.
Original post by Super_Mignon
I recently got a new job working for a large pub chain. If we are working until closing time, we don't get paid for the cleaning and tidying afterwards, even if it takes hours. For example, on a Friday night I might work from 7pm to 12.30am, but not be paid for the cleaning and restocking which could take until 2.30 or 3am. Everyone else seems to be fine with this. Is this normal procedure? :confused:

I work in a pub £5.78 an hour. Get paid from when I clock in (enter premesis) to when I clock out (leave the premesis or stop working and have a pint). I find it odd that you don't clock in and out at a pub as the hours are so flexible.
Reply 8

If you're working after the hours listed in your job description, you are owed overtime!
This happened to my friend, I think the chain was Ember Inns?
At my work, which is in a hotel restaurant/hotel bar, I get paid for every hour I work, even if I stay all night, as is the case over Christmas usually.
Procedure varies from place to place, but the argument that your employer would use is that if you're being paid to tidy up afterwards it might make you a little slower to tidy up, if you get my meaning.

Where I work we get paid to one hour after close, leaving enough time to do the cleaning and get out if we're not lazy and decide to have a pint to "relax".
Why is the cleaning and restocking taking so long? Is the place you work at really that large?

Doesn't the place have actual cleaners that come in in the mornings to do part of this?

You need to check that your job actually entails this.

I do relief work at an independent pub and I clock in and out and get paid for all my hours right up until the end. On some shifts we aren't meant to restock because the morning after there will be a cellarboy who will do that. We only clean up after bingo/presentations but otherwise the mess is the cleaners job.

Moreover, surely you could be cleaning/restocking while on the job - unless you really are that busy right up until the bar(s) close?

I'm not surprised that you don't get paid past your contract hours, I'm surprised that it takes so long for you to be cleaning up and going home - obviously some of the staff you've been with 'till late have not been pulling their weight!
Reply 12
Original post by AnonyMatt
Why is the cleaning and restocking taking so long? Is the place you work at really that large?

Doesn't the place have actual cleaners that come in in the mornings to do part of this?

You need to check that your job actually entails this.

I do relief work at an independent pub and I clock in and out and get paid for all my hours right up until the end. On some shifts we aren't meant to restock because the morning after there will be a cellarboy who will do that. We only clean up after bingo/presentations but otherwise the mess is the cleaners job.

Moreover, surely you could be cleaning/restocking while on the job - unless you really are that busy right up until the bar(s) close?

I'm not surprised that you don't get paid past your contract hours, I'm surprised that it takes so long for you to be cleaning up and going home - obviously some of the staff you've been with 'till late have not been pulling their weight!

Maybe you don't have as much to do because it's an independent pub. How big is it?
There are actual cleaners but they only sweep and hoover the main floor each morning. We have to restock everything (despite starting early we still have to restock what we sell after intial restocking). We have no cellarboy, and it is a very busy pub in London. If I'm working to closing, every table needs to be wiped and set with menus and promotional menus for the next day (Sunday menu, breakfast menu - 80 tables), every glass needs to be collected, washed and put away (up to 15 crates of glasses), the entire washroom needs to be washed down and the glasswashers themselves need to be washed, every surface behind the bar needs to be wiped, all the brassware needs to be polished, all spirits topped up, all barmats and bar equipment put through the wash, all sparklers from ale and beer draughts soaked and replaced, behind the bar needs to be swept, wet mopped and dry mopped, all drip trays need to be drained and cleaned, all glass doors and fridge doors need to be cleaned, the fridges needs to be cleaned inside and out, crisps/nuts/condiments need to be restocked, the coffee machine needs to be shut down and cleaned, fruit machines shut down, all recycling and rubbish needs to be put out, all lights need to be cleaned and turned off, all ice bins need to be emptied and cleaned, all glass needs to be disposed of properly.. then there are cleaning jobs that need to be done weekly, on a Sunday close for example.

I'm tired just writing it!

Sucks big time, but it's been that way in all the restaurants and pubs i've worked at. At the end of the day, you need the job more than they need you, and they know it. At my place, we have to be in 15 mins before our shift every day which we dont get paid for, and we dont get paid extra for meetings or when we stay late
Maybe you don't have as much to do because it's an independent pub. How big is it?
There are actual cleaners but they only sweep and hoover the main floor each morning. We have to restock everything (despite starting early we still have to restock what we sell after intial restocking). We have no cellarboy, and it is a very busy pub in London. If I'm working to closing, every table needs to be wiped and set with menus and promotional menus for the next day (Sunday menu, breakfast menu - 80 tables), every glass needs to be collected, washed and put away (up to 15 crates of glasses), the entire washroom needs to be washed down and the glasswashers themselves need to be washed, every surface behind the bar needs to be wiped, all the brassware needs to be polished, all spirits topped up, all barmats and bar equipment put through the wash, all sparklers from ale and beer draughts soaked and replaced, behind the bar needs to be swept, wet mopped and dry mopped, all drip trays need to be drained and cleaned, all glass doors and fridge doors need to be cleaned, the fridges needs to be cleaned inside and out, crisps/nuts/condiments need to be restocked, the coffee machine needs to be shut down and cleaned, fruit machines shut down, all recycling and rubbish needs to be put out, all lights need to be cleaned and turned off, all ice bins need to be emptied and cleaned, all glass needs to be disposed of properly.. then there are cleaning jobs that need to be done weekly, on a Sunday close for example.

I'm tired just writing it!

That seems excessive! The pub I'm at is quite big and busy but we don't need to set tables or anything - we don't do catering. We don't top up spirits, just replace when needed. The putting of crates of glasses through the wash is done continuously though.

It seems as though there are a lot of people in your position though. Usually for us the cleaning up takes about 20 minutes even after the busiest of nights. It doesn't take long to empty the trays and mop down the floor. As long as someone is doing something, I don't see why it should take more than an hour, max! Perhaps you're understaffed, or as I suggested before, people aren't pulling their weight.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a case of sucks to be you. :p:
Reply 15
Original post by AnonyMatt
That seems excessive! The pub I'm at is quite big and busy but we don't need to set tables or anything - we don't do catering. We don't top up spirits, just replace when needed. The putting of crates of glasses through the wash is done continuously though.

It seems as though there are a lot of people in your position though. Usually for us the cleaning up takes about 20 minutes even after the busiest of nights. It doesn't take long to empty the trays and mop down the floor. As long as someone is doing something, I don't see why it should take more than an hour, max! Perhaps you're understaffed, or as I suggested before, people aren't pulling their weight.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a case of sucks to be you. :p:

It's a massive bar and kitchen. There will be two or three of us working continuously for 1.5 - 2 hours. It's not excessive, we literally work non-stop to go home!
Urgh sounds dreadful.

Thank goodness I clock in and out!

I used to work in a hotel and was frequently working past my contracted hours- getting overtime was a huge palaver filling out forms and getting the Duty Manager to verify and put forth to accounts. It was so much of a hassle I stopped trying.

Perhaps there should be a set limit to how long you stay back 'out of hours' as it sounds they are being cheap and not hiring external cleaners to assist.
depends
if your on minimum wage then its actually illegal as you would technically be working for less
Why not just have a chat to your boss. Don't accuse him just query and see what the deal is.
This was the same with my old job at Subways. We got paid up to 15 minutes after closing time, which would theoretically be the 15 minutes we cashed up the till, quickly mopped the floor and locked up.

Except during the 12 hours the shop was open, all the teenage part time staff left a massive mess in their wake which could take hours to clean up when you're on your own. The way I got around this was to start the closing duties 6 hours before we closed. If a customer came in wanting a coffee 10 minutes before we closed we'd be like "Coffee machine is broken sorry!" but the reality was we had turned it off and cleaned it two hours ago and they'll be damned if they think we're turning it on and dirtying it up again for them now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending