The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joelchan
I got accepted, did you?

Hey!
Well Done!
When did you hear?
I've just moved house so all my mail is being redirected which gives a 3-4 day delay(so annoying with UCAS stuff!)
What was the offer grade wise? Do you think you'd go there, or no?
:smile:
Reply 221
Original post by randombelle
Hey!
Well Done!
When did you hear?
I've just moved house so all my mail is being redirected which gives a 3-4 day delay(so annoying with UCAS stuff!)
What was the offer grade wise? Do you think you'd go there, or no?
:smile:

HI!
Yesterday, and I dont know the conditions yet, I have to wait for Track to update. And Yeah I think so, definitely second choice if not firm. It depends what UCL is like, I've not spoken to any lecturers there so I'm not sure yet, but I like Lancs. What about you? :smile: They'll send you a nice letter tell you what they liked about you :wink: and I was surprised at how quick it was. I thought they said they had more groups to interview. oh well, Good luck and let me know!
Got my first interview the other day! It's on the 14th for Central Lancashire!
Really excited but no idea what to put in my portfolio.. any tips? Should I make my portfolio full of everything that I have that I feel is good or just stuff that would be the best of the best?

Also, I need to submit an electronic portfolio for Brighton, but it's asking for 10 images and i'm assuming that means my 10 best pieces buy, do you think it would be okay if I took a few pictures of a big 3D piece at different angles and put them together as though it was on one PDF page it would be okay?

Original post by Bekkah321
Really excited but no idea what to put in my portfolio.. any tips? Should I make my portfolio full of everything that I have that I feel is good or just stuff that would be the best of the best?

Also, I need to submit an electronic portfolio for Brighton, but it's asking for 10 images and i'm assuming that means my 10 best pieces buy, do you think it would be okay if I took a few pictures of a big 3D piece at different angles and put them together as though it was on one PDF page it would be okay?

Firstly, Well Done!

Portfolio wise, if you've got enough really strong work then just include that as a weak piece can bring the entire quality of your portfolio down. However, when doing that, remember that experimentation is important. So any experimental pieces you have done, whether they've worked or not- annotate and explain why and how you've adapted them to improve. Hope this helps! Oh... and remember that presentation IS important(some people may disagree) as a well presented portfolio shows well cared for work which is important as it makes them look at it with a more professional eye and show's you're committed to your work and don't disrespect it!

3D images wise, yes- photographing from different angles will be more informative:smile:

Hope this helps! :smile:

Good Luck!- If you have anymore questions, just ask!

Which Brighton course have you applied for? I'm sending a digital portfolio for the Painting course tomorrow. If you're using something like Flickr (that's what they suggested in their email, anyway), you might want to consider that the images aren't that big on the screen. If you try to cram too many photos of different angles into one Flickr photo "slide", it might be too small for them to see properly. When I went to the Goldsmiths open day, they said they hated people doing that because it just looks really bad 'cause of the size. They said it would be better to just pick one photo that displays it best; they understand that you're limited by the number of photos you can submit.

Having said that, if you just pick two angles and put them together it should be fine. I've combined some pieces into one photo so they look like sketchbook pages, but only for things that are obviously related.

As for your other work, definitely include the pieces you think are the best (I'd double check with a teacher, since they might have different opinions on what "best" means) but make sure there are experimental/developmental pieces too. Maybe get a teacher to read the email you got as well, because they might be able to tell how much of which "area" they want to see (i.e. final pieces, sketches etc.).

Put what's important to you and your practice in, there's no point including something just because your tutor likes it or you've had compliments on it. Likewise, if you've put something in your personal statement (like 'my practice is focused on...' or something) make sure there's evidence of it in your portfolio. Interviewers usually have your statement at the interview so you really want to link the 2.

Good Luck!- If you have anymore questions, just ask!

Thank you :biggrin: think you covered all my questions :smile:

Which Brighton course have you applied for? I'm sending a digital portfolio for the Painting course tomorrow. If you're using something like Flickr (that's what they suggested in their email, anyway), you might want to consider that the images aren't that big on the screen.

I've applied for Foundation Art & Design :smile:
In the email that i received they only specified that they wanted 10 images in a PDF document format emailed to a specific address. :smile:

Put what's important to you and your practice in, there's no point including something just because your tutor likes it or you've had compliments on it. Likewise, if you've put something in your personal statement (like 'my practice is focused on...' or something) make sure there's evidence of it in your portfolio. Interviewers usually have your statement at the interview so you really want to link the 2.

Thanks, I think I will go about it that way and also consult with my teacher on my strongest work and see if i'm on the right lines. I've also planned to link my interview to my personal statement.. print it out, read over it a few times the days before make sure i know all that's in there! Thanks :smile:
Hey :smile:

I was wondering if anyone knows anywhere I could do a foundation year in or near Marlborough, Wiltshire?
HI!
Yesterday, and I dont know the conditions yet, I have to wait for Track to update. And Yeah I think so, definitely second choice if not firm. It depends what UCL is like, I've not spoken to any lecturers there so I'm not sure yet, but I like Lancs. What about you? :smile: They'll send you a nice letter tell you what they liked about you :wink: and I was surprised at how quick it was. I thought they said they had more groups to interview. oh well, Good luck and let me know!

I got in!! Nice letter too! :smile:
I'm not sure about Lancaster- nice place, grab uni, but they don't have any printmaking or ceramic facilities so not sure at the mo! Just need to see how the others go!!
have you had any more news?
^ *great (!)
Reply 230
I got in!! Nice letter too! :smile:
I'm not sure about Lancaster- nice place, grab uni, but they don't have any printmaking or ceramic facilities so not sure at the mo! Just need to see how the others go!!
have you had any more news?

No Not yet :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Lol art is even more bull**** than media studies, a seven year old could paint something give it to a modern day artist who could pass it off as his work and you idiots would all admire it and evoke meaning out of nothing. Although art is good for expression its no way to make a living look at tv and film, the sad lonely guy who kills himself is always a washed up artist/ musician.
Original post by Wise Tamil Guy
Lol art is even more bull**** than media studies, a seven year old could paint something give it to a modern day artist who could pass it off as his work and you idiots would all admire it and evoke meaning out of nothing. Although art is good for expression its no way to make a living look at tv and film, the sad lonely guy who kills himself is always a washed up artist/ musician.

Wth is your problem? Why did you feel the need to say that, when it's obvious that no one on this thread is going to agree with you? What an idiot.
Reply 233
Original post by Wise Tamil Guy

Original post by Village Whisper
Wth is your problem? Why did you feel the need to say that, when it's obvious that no one on this thread is going to agree with you? What an idiot.

The **** must have failed art....jelousy is a sin love.
But they have more than UCL, UCL dont even have a kiln! it wasnt on the list the sent me after I asked anyway.

Basically, I like Lancaster but the fact they don't offer all the main facilities I use doesn't out way the 5 hour drive... But then, i'm kinda feeling an inkling that I want to go to Lancaster- it was friendly, good tutors and good results:smile:
Oh and UCL wise, they do have a kiln but in order to use it you have to have a training course thingy so you can use it- I asked at open day :smile: BTW, I really like your ceramic work on your tumblr- really experimental, what type of clay have you been using, some looks like porcelain... (sorry for the weird question :tongue:)
For anyone who's interested, this is the link to my online portfolio:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/villagewhisper/

(This is for the Brighton Painting course btw, they asked for a "short statement" which is what the awful writing bit is at the start).

I know I'm never going to get in. I got a rejection from LCA today, yay for me. I still don't get how they can judge based on 6 photos. I have 19 for Brighton, and I still don't feel like it's enough for them to know what I do. Oh well, 2 more rejections to go (UCL and Brighton), then I'm staying home next year. I did get an interview at NTU today, but...:frown:

(This is for the Brighton Painting course btw, they asked for a "short statement" which is what the awful writing bit is at the start).

I know I'm never going to get in. I got a rejection from LCA today, yay for me. I still don't get how they can judge based on 6 photos. I have 19 for Brighton, and I still don't feel like it's enough for them to know what I do. Oh well, 2 more rejections to go (UCL and Brighton), then I'm staying home next year. I did get an interview at NTU today, but...:frown:

Hey! I really like your flickr pics and the statement is good! I like how all the work links together and flows- it's not a jumble of random work that you think is best- it all runs together well! Particularly like the drypoint prints! Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 237

I really love your paintings and drawings, good luck (:
Since it's the interview season coming up, I thought I'd just wish everyone good luck. All interviews are stressful, of course, but there's something about art interviews which is a lot more emotional than many subjects. If you get rejected, it's hurtful because your work is somehow more personal than your grades are. So good luck to everybody. Here's hoping you all get in. Remember, it only takes one offer.
Has anyone else heard from UAL yet? I've got an interview at Wimbledon on the 14th - terrified!

Quick Reply

Latest