The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Village Whisper

I wish I hadn't read your statement, it's making me feel awful about mine! Yours is like, proper writing. Mine's a bit...well rubbish haha. I didn't know they wanted it to be so developed, yours looks way more professional :frown: Your life drawing is really good as well, your people actually have heads! Mine usually only have half a head, if that. And practically no background. I draw slowly :/

And I didn't know you could change the title at the top of the page! I don't want to change it now in case they've already looked at it :/

How many times have you applied before, if you've had bad experiences with UCAS?

Ohh no! It looks good to me! I see you're applying for painting so I'm sure they are not going to judge the writing much, It's just as I'm applying for the 'critical' course it seemed that the writing may be even more important than the work for that one, in a way! the thing is I'm not sure it is an advantage that my statement is so specific anyway, they are seeking 'potential' after all so it's a bit hard to judge whatever the hell we are doing is right/wrong! Maybe sometimes its best to leave a bit more to their imagination....? Get them curious enough to interview you rather than an outright HELLO THIS IS ME!

Thanks for the compliments, the life drawing of that man did take me two weeks!! (in the mornings on weekdays)... so i did bear in mind that i would just be patient with that, I did it at classes at LARA http://www.drawpaintsculpt.com/ , I highly recommend them if you want to learn old skills and come out with something for your portfolio, but I did have to save and spend a lot of my own money to take the short course which is pretty hard stuff and I am in tons of debt right now....

I still don't think my work is being experimental enough... after all, they are not looking for professionals yet but 'potential', & i've got no research or anything.. it's torture isn't it?! In my heart, my most desired choice is St Martins but i didn't have my 'elf mother' and my box and hands picture when i sent my mini portfolio off, which i think show me a bit better. I've emailed them the link since but I'm not sure they will take any notice...
Don't be scared to change the title on the page if you want as it won't ruin your link or anything, i thought it would!

Well I left school and went straight to do a Nat Dip in Graphic Design but it took me 3 years to complete due to my caring responsibility with my mum & having general adolescent stress lol.. I rushed into the first university that accepted me (Book Arts at LCC) but I hated it, as the course was oversubscribed & I just rushed so that I would get out of my hometown. So I quit that. But then I was sure I wanted to be an Illustrator and desperately tried for 2 years to get into Brighton or somewhere but got rejected from every good school, and had one horrible interview at Camberwell, due to lack of Foundation course. And being over the age due to the 3 years it took me to get my Design qualification.. couldn't afford the £1000-£3000 it costs to take the course as a mature. Then I took a distance one at http://www.idesigni.co.uk/ and failed it, complete waste of money and uninspiring, bad experience... couldn't meet the deadlines due to being so bored, then got depressed for a while and went applying to study art abroad in Holland, as fees were up here & thought it would be great to get away... got back a great big 'Terugkeer afgewezen!' (Return rejected!)... had a little depressed cry in bed for a while.. it was around about these years I realized I completely didn't want to be an illustrator but an artist, it's naturally what i discovered i am.. a fringe of society weirdo with stuff to say ..!
Finally had an amazing friend/guardian who offered, should i get in, to pay my fee for taking foundation art at Kensington & Chelsea College.. I scraped a last place in August. I nearly only got a 'reserve' place if somebody dropped out, because the girl before me literally bought a whole car load of fashion work with her, bulging sketchbooks with material everywhere, and I had a poncy A4 binder of digital printouts. I was so used to rejection, I just thought 'f**k it' and gave the tutor an unsurprised 'lets be friends anyway' life story monologue.. and he shocked me by saying 'based on that, i'm giving you a place'... and I must say the tutors on the course are mostly really amazing and caring, even though my attendance isn't great like most peoples cos they know about my mum etc.. I just feel really lucky to have at last got to this point!

So yeah excuse life story but thought it might help people to know it can take a long while to make the journey sometimes, don't give up or make that depressing mistake of thinking you're on a time limit, and it's worth getting the 'f**k it' feeling sometimes!!

UPDATE
I emailed Wimbledon Painting and got a message back from the leader saying that they are not taking the mini portfolio route this year and all applicants are being looked at and will be invited for interview Feb/early March.

Best wishes!
Reply 261
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
Has anyone used another site other than Flickr for their Brighton portfolio? I don't have a yahoo email account and I really don't want to set one up just for that!

You can use a google account to login, google accounts are part of youtube accounts too i think.... while yahoo accounts are pretty useless.. did you get an interview for goldsmith last year? Good luck! I hear wimbledon sculpture is amazinggg
Original post by Soares
You can use a google account to login, google accounts are part of youtube accounts too i think.... while yahoo accounts are pretty useless.. did you get an interview for goldsmith last year? Good luck! I hear wimbledon sculpture is amazinggg

I don't have one of those either! Argh, nightmare. Yeah I did, was quite surprised really! I feel a bit better about my work this year so hopefully I'll get a second chance. Wimbledon IS amazing - I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. Hopefully my work will suit them, that's what I'm worried about.
Where did you apply to?
Reply 263
I don't have one of those either! Argh, nightmare. Yeah I did, was quite surprised really! I feel a bit better about my work this year so hopefully I'll get a second chance. Wimbledon IS amazing - I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. Hopefully my work will suit them, that's what I'm worried about.
Where did you apply to?

It is, I did foundation there last year, probably best year of my life so far!
I have Goldsmiths, Kingston, Chelsea, UCA Farnham and anglia ruskin.. all fine art, sending portfolio to Goldsmiths on the 6th, kingston tomorrow and chelsea on the 10th.
Im pretty exited and dam scared at the same time to be honest.
ive had a google account for years, they never hassle you with spam or anything, go for it
Good luck!
Original post by Soares
It is, I did foundation there last year, probably best year of my life so far!
I have Goldsmiths, Kingston, Chelsea, UCA Farnham and anglia ruskin.. all fine art, sending portfolio to Goldsmiths on the 6th, kingston tomorrow and chelsea on the 10th.
Im pretty exited and dam scared at the same time to be honest.
ive had a google account for years, they never hassle you with spam or anything, go for it
Good luck!

Yeah just done it, didn't realise they were so easy. Now comes the difficult part, figuring out what to stick on there! You'd think reapplying would be less terrifying, but no!
Reply 265
Yeah just done it, didn't realise they were so easy. Now comes the difficult part, figuring out what to stick on there! You'd think reapplying would be less terrifying, but no!

Post link when your done? :tongue:
Original post by Soares
Post link when your done? :tongue:

Ha, not after seeing other people's work! I don't have a hope in hell :frown:
Reply 267
Anyone that's applied for LCA for fine art, when it says ''choose and produce 6 photographs or digital prints of your own work-no larger than A4' does that mean each one has to be smaller than A4 or all together they have to fit on an A4 page? Because i initially thought that each one would have to be smaller than A4, but my mum (who seems to think otherwise) has got me all paranoid that i'm wrong :s-smilie:
Original post by pongalo
Anyone that's applied for LCA for fine art, when it says ''choose and produce 6 photographs or digital prints of your own work-no larger than A4' does that mean each one has to be smaller than A4 or all together they have to fit on an A4 page? Because i initially thought that each one would have to be smaller than A4, but my mum (who seems to think otherwise) has got me all paranoid that i'm wrong :s-smilie:

All of mine were just under A4. I cut around them so there wasn't a big white gap around the edge.

I wish I'd got my letter when you got yours, I would have had much better work to show them...
Reply 269
All of mine were just under A4. I cut around them so there wasn't a big white gap around the edge.

I wish I'd got my letter when you got yours, I would have had much better work to show them...

Thanks, thats's useful :smile:

I've had it for about 2 weeks but i've only just finished my exams so im starting it now, in for tuesday (i always leave everything until the last minute :tongue:) so i'm going to send it off hopefully tomorrow but more realistically saturday to get there before tuesday :smile:
Original post by joverbena

Wow, that's a lot! I thought you had just had some problems with UCAS processing your application or something! That all sounds very hard. I think I might've just given up if that had happened to me, but it's obviously good that you didn't. I'm sure you'll get in somewhere this year :smile:

Haha, I feel slightly better about my life drawing now. The longest one I've done is about 45 minutes. We only have life drawing from 1pm til 4pm on Tuesdays, and it's a different thing every week so there's no opportunity to spend a long time on one piece.

It's really interesting that you were on the LCC Book Arts course, because I literally just came across it on their website yesterday and I thought it looked pretty good. You don't sound too positive about it, though. Was it the actual course you didn't like, or just 'cause it was a bit of a rushed decision? What do you actually do on the course? From the description, it sounds a bit like a mixture of book-making, illustration and graphic design, but I only looked at it quickly. I'm sort of doing a back-up plan in case I decide to wait a year and go for illustration instead, and I'm trying to find courses that do stuff about books instead of industry/fashion illustration. It's just all so confusing! I'll try to remember that there's no time limit though, like you said.

If you don't mind my asking, how old will you be when you start in September/October? It just sounds like you've had to wait ages! I guess it might be worth it in a way, though, if you've managed to figure out that you want to do fine art instead of illustration.

Original post by pongalo
Thanks, thats's useful :smile:

I've had it for about 2 weeks but i've only just finished my exams so im starting it now, in for tuesday (i always leave everything until the last minute :tongue:) so i'm going to send it off hopefully tomorrow but more realistically saturday to get there before tuesday :smile:

You're welcome :smile: I figured that must be right, because if you stuck 6 on one A4 sheet you'd barely be able to see them.

I sent mine off on a Saturday to get there for Wednesday. I'm pretty sure it got there, but I wish they'd sent an email to confirm that it had so I know for certain that I didn't get rejected because it didn't arrive :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Soares
yh it got pretty lonely but i think that's what i needed most. i have no contact to my old teachers anymore
Thanks!! :biggrin: yh i got over my fear of insects as the house was infested with them. Ants were EVERYWHERE ALLTHETIME :eek:
I hope i do get in somewhere otherwise it wouldve been a bit of a waste really :s-smilie: and il probably cry :frown: lol a lot.
It is definitely one of the most stressful things at the moment, I kindof wonder if uni applications were nearly this hard 20 years ago, the competition is just so strong, and art is such a tricky subject.

Eew, where were you staying? I hate those giant flying ants, they're awful.

You wiiiiiiiill get in, if you cry it'll be because you're so happy 'cause you got into all of your places :wink:

I hate that people think art is easy. I think it's one of the hardest subjects in terms of uni applications, 'cause it's not just based on your personal statement and an interview where you just talk about it...You actually have to do stuff, and there's no way of knowing whether it's "right" or not since it's so subjective...I reckon that the competition for places like CSM, Goldsmiths and the Slade has always been pretty strong, otherwise they might not have such good reputations.
Reply 272
Eew, where were you staying? I hate those giant flying ants, they're awful.

You wiiiiiiiill get in, if you cry it'll be because you're so happy 'cause you got into all of your places :wink:

I hate that people think art is easy. I think it's one of the hardest subjects in terms of uni applications, 'cause it's not just based on your personal statement and an interview where you just talk about it...You actually have to do stuff, and there's no way of knowing whether it's "right" or not since it's so subjective...I reckon that the competition for places like CSM, Goldsmiths and the Slade has always been pretty strong, otherwise they might not have such good reputations.

In a veryyyy old house inherited from a family member. at first i couldnt sleep with them around, but then i got used to living with them ahaha

I just sent my first efolio to kingston, was so difficult to chose only 10 photos, couldve chosen the wrong ones! very nervy at the moment...
i hope so, or the complete opposite could happen :frown:
Art is the most tricky thing in the world, its so hard to judge in the first place.
Is anything harder? I dont think there can be, since art can be everything and anything at the same time
Here's my Flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/-hamsandwich-/
Just starting to upload my things now, what's on is last year's foundation work - still have a few drawings, a couple of quilts and some knitting and sculpture to add in. It's kind of annoying that I can't use my film work, stupid guidelines.
Original post by Soares
In a veryyyy old house inherited from a family member. at first i couldnt sleep with them around, but then i got used to living with them ahaha

I just sent my first efolio to kingston, was so difficult to chose only 10 photos, couldve chosen the wrong ones! very nervy at the moment...
i hope so, or the complete opposite could happen :frown:
Art is the most tricky thing in the world, its so hard to judge in the first place.
Is anything harder? I dont think there can be, since art can be everything and anything at the same time

I quite like old houses, but they can be a bit creepy. I wouldn't want to stay in one at night if I was on my own. Then again, I don't like being in my house alone when it's dark, either...Not that that has anything to do with ants :smile:

Everyone could say that about sending off portfolios! Especially when you're still doing work when you send it off, 'cause you think "I could've sent xxx instead". You must've chosen those particular ten photos for a reason though, it's not like you chose them completely at random (I assume!). Anyway, you can't change it now so there's not much point in worrying about it (at least, that's what everyone says to me, though I end up worrying anyway) :smile:

I'm not really sure what could be harder. I guess probably medicine in terms of the number of people who apply for it, but that's still pretty much grades-based I think. Maybe drama/acting? But then again, it's not really that subjective in terms of judging if someone's a good or bad actor...Hmm. I think art must definitely be up at the top somewhere!

Here's my Flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/-hamsandwich-/
Just starting to upload my things now, what's on is last year's foundation work - still have a few drawings, a couple of quilts and some knitting and sculpture to add in. It's kind of annoying that I can't use my film work, stupid guidelines.

I really like that piece with the sheet music! Did you coffee-stain parts of it, or is it just older?

Also, which course is this for? Sorry if you said earlier, I can't remember :rolleyes:

I really like that piece with the sheet music! Did you coffee-stain parts of it, or is it just older?

Also, which course is this for? Sorry if you said earlier, I can't remember :rolleyes:

It's tea! I wanted to use old pages, but I couldn't bring myself to rip my books up. This one's for critical fine art at Brighton, but I'm probably going to send the same stuff to Goldsmiths and Leeds. Bit worried at my complete lack of painting but hopefully it'll be ok.
It's tea! I wanted to use old pages, but I couldn't bring myself to rip my books up. This one's for critical fine art at Brighton, but I'm probably going to send the same stuff to Goldsmiths and Leeds. Bit worried at my complete lack of painting but hopefully it'll be ok.

Ooh, I've never used tea before, just coffee. I imagine it's a bit lighter-coloured? I like sprinkling coffee granules onto wet paper, it kinda dissolves and looks really nice :smile: Like those brown spots on old books.

I'm glad I didn't apply to Goldsmiths in the end, don't they want you to write an essay or something? I couldn't cope with writing a new one on top of all the work I have at the moment.

If you don't have any painting, couldn't you just do small pieces? Two of mine are tiny little A4 things that I did in the morning of the day I sent it off. And that awful mushroom one with book pages was done in about 2 hours on the same day...I was really rushing it because I wanted to be able to take a photo of it outside while it was still light! If you don't normally do much painting though, I don't see why you should have to do some just for this. Just include what you normally do :smile:

Hey I applied to leeds. Did you apply to leeds uni or college of art?
I missed the deadline... Whens your deadline?
Ooh, I've never used tea before, just coffee. I imagine it's a bit lighter-coloured? I like sprinkling coffee granules onto wet paper, it kinda dissolves and looks really nice :smile: Like those brown spots on old books.

I'm glad I didn't apply to Goldsmiths in the end, don't they want you to write an essay or something? I couldn't cope with writing a new one on top of all the work I have at the moment.

If you don't have any painting, couldn't you just do small pieces? Two of mine are tiny little A4 things that I did in the morning of the day I sent it off. And that awful mushroom one with book pages was done in about 2 hours on the same day...I was really rushing it because I wanted to be able to take a photo of it outside while it was still light! If you don't normally do much painting though, I don't see why you should have to do some just for this. Just include what you normally do :smile:

Yeah I haven't painted anything really since my A levels, I just don't think I'm a painter. Hopefully it won't count against me :smile: Goldsmiths want a little 500 word piece on an artist you like or something, I got lucky - I wrote one a while back for one of my old tutors so I'll just upload that.
I don't know if tea's any lighter, but I just can't stand the smell of coffee! I just got some used tea bags and sort of sponged them on, but it seemed to work alright.
Original post by kaylafrances
Hey I applied to leeds. Did you apply to leeds uni or college of art?
I missed the deadline... Whens your deadline?

I applied for Leeds uni, but I don't think I have a deadline? The email just says as soon as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest