The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ham_Sandwich
And the person, I'd argue so anyway. If you've got someone who makes fantastic work but is boring as hell and seems disinterested against someone who is maybe just coming in to their own in terms of style and practice but is really passionate I'd think the latter would be the one to get the place.

I meant it's about the artwork, not the A level results.
Original post by beccafairy
that's great to hear, because i have a C! it's mainly because of health problems i had, but yeah.
i couldn't agree more though, at interviews i've been told that my school work shows skill but it's not what i'm about at all, and that my personal sketchbooks are where it's at. i'm so relieved at this (and not to mention excited) that i'll be creating what i want to next year, not something that ticks boxes!

Oh, best of luck! Same here (GCSE C in Art) I really scraped through, v depressing times for me in and out of school. But self directed learning is like another world. And I really appreciate my education now.. Hope you get where you want to be :smile:
Um so what were u guys' experience of a level then cos despite having formal titles we could do whatever we wanted n they gave us a hand with technique if we asked but the most important thing is concepts n critcal awareness. It's completely self directed, like half the time u won't find the tutor in the class. Its just really open, noone is doing anything even remotely similar and equal to "personal" stuff cos its all personal. So are my experiences of a level abnormal?
Original post by rayray12310
Um so what were u guys' experience of a level then cos despite having formal titles we could do whatever we wanted n they gave us a hand with technique if we asked but the most important thing is concepts n critcal awareness. It's completely self directed, like half the time u won't find the tutor in the class. Its just really open, noone is doing anything even remotely similar and equal to "personal" stuff cos its all personal. So are my experiences of a level abnormal?

They don't give you enough resources, don't care enough about your actual knowledge just that you produce work that can obtain a certain grade. It really isn't very open. Its an exam system and art cannot be graded the same way that physics can.
Reply 444
Theres a reason most good Fine Art Unis dont accept people straight off A-Level courses. They want people to do a foundation year so that you get a much more broad experience and develop your practice. It really is ALL about the portfolio and how you can talk about your work and cultural influences. Im not saying an A-Level art is worthless - like everything, its how you use it and build on it (not the grade).
Oh I totally think foundation is the best option but a levels aren't necessarily that bad, think it just depends on the school or u wldnt get people getting onto degrees at the top schools without them, plus certain unis still ask for good grades like the Ruskin and the slade. 40% of accepted applicants to the slade last year were from a level. :smile:
Original post by rayray12310
40% of accepted applicants to the slade last year were from a level. :smile:

Which is absolutely awful.

Whoever negged me is an incompetent artist and always will be because you didn't do a foundation. Have a nice life.
(edited 12 years ago)
.. is anybody else feeling sick and tetchy since sending their 'folios off? .... I am.....
I'm weirdly looking forward to my camberwell interview on monday...
Reply 449
Original post by joverbena
.. is anybody else feeling sick and tetchy since sending their 'folios off? .... I am.....

Sick, Tetchy, cant sleep, cant think about anything else...... on top of that Im starting to become confused and unsure about which uni I really want to go to..... that about covers it :s-smilie:
Original post by KED
Sick, Tetchy, cant sleep, cant think about anything else...... on top of that Im starting to become confused and unsure about which uni I really want to go to..... that about covers it :s-smilie:

ah, yes, all that.... well it's a 'half term' week coming. don't know if that applies to universities.... but hopefully we should hear from at least one next week, i'm really hoping...

I emailed Brighton about Critical Fine Art a few days ago (quietly getting impatient that 227 people viewed my flickr and no news) and she said she's getting through them now and we should hear 'hopefully in the next week or two'.
Anyone know when we're going to hear from Slade/Goldsmiths? I did Slade last year but can't remember. Hoping we hear about something next week before my mind explodes.
Original post by Princeling
Anyone know when we're going to hear from Slade/Goldsmiths? I did Slade last year but can't remember. Hoping we hear about something next week before my mind explodes.

I think its one week for rejections and two for interviews, they are quicker than most places, but idm the wait as I'm going to be rejected anyway and my top choice is Glasgow.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 453
Hmm Doctorates in the bleeding obvious here.

Of course art is about your portfolio: but it helps to be a little academic too.

The wringing of hands will make no difference to ability.
Original post by joverbena
ah, yes, all that.... well it's a 'half term' week coming. don't know if that applies to universities.... but hopefully we should hear from at least one next week, i'm really hoping...

I emailed Brighton about Critical Fine Art a few days ago (quietly getting impatient that 227 people viewed my flickr and no news) and she said she's getting through them now and we should hear 'hopefully in the next week or two'.

I haven't sent mine off yet for Brighton - it's due in by the 15th. Seems like they only have the one woman going through them though, so I doubt it'll be until the end of February.
Original post by Princeling

Goldsmiths is the end of February, last year it was the 24th.
Reply 456
I'm not sure if it's already been asked but does anyone know how long Leeds College of Art takes to get back to you after submitting the task? It's not even been a week and im already losing it!
Original post by pongalo
I'm not sure if it's already been asked but does anyone know how long Leeds College of Art takes to get back to you after submitting the task? It's not even been a week and im already losing it!

Not very long. Mine was about a week.
Reply 458
I heard today from Camberwell that they've invited me for a portfolio review via UCAS track - cant say when it is yet though cause it hasnt appeared on Track yet!

1 down 3 to go, then its a whole new set of anxieties - Yay !
Had my camberwell interview today and we find out tomorrrrrrowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwowowowoww

Quick Reply

Latest