The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by doodlekin
Well, sorry to hear that.

No need to be. He's not upset and shouldn't be because Slade isn't actually all that.
Reply 821
Original post by kaylafrances
No need to be. He's not upset and shouldn't be because Slade isn't actually all that.

Exactly.
@doodlekin

I get out a lot actually.

The fee hikes are irrelvant, in my opinion. The loans cover everything, and I doubt I will ever have to pay the tutition fees back. I can imagine many artists will be the same. And if you do ever earn over the amount required to re-pay the fees, then clearly you will be able to afford it. Period.

Applicants paying their way internally into courses, I have never heard of. If that is the case then... unfair.

You may well think I am naive, I think on the other-hand that I'm actually much better focussed. Why bother worrying about your school, whether it's independent or state? It is more important to be a good artist. So many people just don't work hard enough, or don't have enough talent and want things to be handed to them. That is so wrong.

I work so hard, am passionate and determined. I believe that I'll get to where I want to be because of this.
This thread used to be notable for its supportive friendliness towards everyone. Let's hope that's not going to change.
I probably sound like a **** in some of my posts.

The reality: I look at the portfolios posted by people on here & I see people who work hard, have talent & should succeed.

People who don't need to be ridiculously proposing that going to an independent school would influence their application.

If you are destined for success you will achieve.

(and I wish everyone the best of luck with being accepted by the institution they want to go to)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 825
Vivre la difference! if you like.

I am off to an interview tomorrow where I know there are private applicants.

I am not one.

I am all for a sunny outlook, but frankly if you think that "if you are destined for success you will achieve" does not take account of the mitigating factors.

I love the fact we may be "accepted by instituions"... like Broadmoor, maybe or HMP Slade? Sorry I am being silly. Anyway may your art go with you, wherever that may be.
Reply 826
Original post by Nelson94
EDINBURGH! Jeez its been like four weeks since the deadline for the online portfolio & Still no word? Its ridiculous

I know!! Im trying to plan my holiday for easter break, but I cant until I know whether or not I got an interview.. and when it is..
I called them, not very helpful but they said something about notifying/ or maybe it was that they were actually having interviews the 1st of march- 16.. not quiteee sure...
Original post by carnationlilyrose
This thread used to be notable for its supportive friendliness towards everyone. Let's hope that's not going to change.

agreed!!
Original post by Nelson94
EDINBURGH! Jeez its been like four weeks since the deadline for the online portfolio & Still no word? Its ridiculous

Edinburgh take ages. Just accept that it's going to be a long wait, and then it's a bonus if they get their act together quicker than usual this year.
Edinburgh take ages. Just accept that it's going to be a long wait, and then it's a bonus if they get their act together quicker than usual this year.

out of interest, how do you know so much?
out of interest, how do you know so much?

I'm a sixth form tutor and I process UCAS and art foundation applications, and my son's at ECA doing painting, so I went through all the agonising process from the parents' side as well. I feel for you all. I'm watching this thread so that I keep on top of this year's offers for the benefit of next year's applicants, since there haven't been many art applications from our school this year for some reason.
Frankly speaking, there is no need to be all bitter and unfairly attack people in this thread - that's not what this thread is for. Of course there are lots of things about university applications that are unfair and unjust, but this is not the fault of any student in this thread. You might as well attack the universal education system and the fabric of society itself. There will always be gaping flaws. As a student and a person who lives in this society, you must simply make the best of what you've got and keep an optimistic outlook.

With that being said, I hope we can stop attacking people with unjustified accusations and move back to the original point of this thread, which is the status of our university applications... :colonhash:

My current status is:

Chelsea - interview April 16th. BA Fine Art.
Goldsmiths - March 20th. BA Fine Art.
Slade - waiting for interview/rejection. :c I wish they would just put me out of my misery already. BFA Fine Art.
Kingston - waiting for an external interview, I guess. (Rejected the internal offer, which was offered as I am on the foundation course there).
I'm a sixth form tutor and I process UCAS and art foundation applications, and my son's at ECA doing painting, so I went through all the agonising process from the parents' side as well. I feel for you all. I'm watching this thread so that I keep on top of this year's offers for the benefit of next year's applicants, since there haven't been many art applications from our school this year for some reason.

Oh wow cool. That explains a lot :smile:
Yeah there has been a drop in art applications overall so i wouldn't be too surprised by this year
Oh wow cool. That explains a lot :smile:
Yeah there has been a drop in art applications overall so i wouldn't be too surprised by this year

No, I think people have been put off what might seem to some people to be a 'luxury' course by the rise in fees, although there are lots of reasons why that shouldn't be the case. I'm seriously proud of my son and couldn't be happier at the fact that he's doing what he loves, but I guess I will soon have to face the fact that there may not automatically be a paying job at the end of it straight away, and I guess that is putting a lot of people off it. It's a crying shame.
No, I think people have been put off what might seem to some people to be a 'luxury' course by the rise in fees, although there are lots of reasons why that shouldn't be the case. I'm seriously proud of my son and couldn't be happier at the fact that he's doing what he loves, but I guess I will soon have to face the fact that there may not automatically be a paying job at the end of it straight away, and I guess that is putting a lot of people off it. It's a crying shame.

Unfortunately that's true for some, one of mates went for law even tho she was arguably the best one on our course for that reason.
I'm of the reasoning that I've always been poor so wont know any different, plus 9 to 5 makes me want to cry.

Yeah. Tbh i think alot of us overlook the fact that it's quite an unstable degree to have in terms of work but i think we've all got caught up in actually getting there first. Personally i think it's all worth it and i think you learn so much more about yourself this way than just doing a standard degree, and i don't think i could be happier studying anything else :smile:
I have got to the nervous stage for my Wimbledon painting interview friday. As it stands it's the one i most want to go to. Especially as i moved into a fulham broadway flatshare for my foundation course so its an ideal location. Love the peace and space too.

Just seen the brighton Critical Fine Art practice invitation letter now im home, it looks SO excitingly formal and serious, especially since iv had 2 rejections in the same design (i applied for illustration there no less than 3 times since leaving school!- now i realize i was doing the wrong subject! They sent me a very highbrow reading list now too which i can type if anyone's interested.
Yeah. Tbh i think alot of us overlook the fact that it's quite an unstable degree to have in terms of work but i think we've all got caught up in actually getting there first. Personally i think it's all worth it and i think you learn so much more about yourself this way than just doing a standard degree, and i don't think i could be happier studying anything else :smile:

Agreed! I think fine art's one of the hardest courses to do at university... not only is getting into university like some kind of sadistic lottery - not dependent on grades or scores, as well as taking so effing long to reply - but we have no sure chance of getting work or being successful once we graduate. But that's why I think those who persevere with this subject have something that others do not: we genuinely love what we do, and believe it is important. That's a gift that most other people won't have. :smile:

friend's just got an unsuccessful from slade

Sorry to ask, but was your friend on BA or BFA and did he hear by email or mail? Thanks! x
did any of you happen to apply to glasgow last year and go for interview, i have mine tomorrow, its my top choice and last interview (safe to assume ive been rejected by ucl) and was wondering what to expect from the interview?:confused:
Original post by rayray12310
Unfortunately that's true for some, one of mates went for law even tho she was arguably the best one on our course for that reason. I'm of the reasoning that I've always been poor so wont know any different, plus 9 to 5 makes me want to cry.

I think that artists do tend to know that they are most likely to be poor - let's face it, the starving artist in a garret isn't a cliche for nothing - but they are driven by knowing they have to do it. I wouldn't have dreamt of trying to persuade my son to do anything more commercial if his heart was set on art and he was good enough to get somewhere worth going, because nobody tried to persuade me or his dad not to do what we wanted to study, however useless people thought it. I think it's a poor world if we can't at least try to give our kids the same freedoms we enjoyed, even if the world's a harsher place than when we were students. As for doing law, I hope your friend enjoys it, although I do wonder how many more lawyers the country can actually sustain, since it's all my students think of doing, apart from medicine and accountancy.

Quick Reply

Latest