The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doin it again
Yep, so did Matt Jarvis.

Epic comeback.

So did Heskey btw.
England=/= starting for Spain/Brazil.
Original post by kuks
He's 20. He created the 4th most chances this season. He's being chased by top English clubs. He hasn't even played a game for us yet and you're slagging him off. FFS give him time.

Kuks my friend, Liverpool should be aiming for the top players, creme da la creme. Not 2nd rate English players like Carroll and Henderson.

Another Midtable finish for Liverpool next season, as I believe Daliglish's honeymoon period will be over.
Original post by Theconomist
Any link to that guardiola interview?

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=38517.0

The first post on this thread. It's all over twitter as well. Incredibly high praise.
Original post by mau5
Absolutely clueless, Enrique is on good wages here and gets forward plenty. He deserves a move to a better side than Liverpool really, he'd be perfect for Arsenal as he's twice the player Clichy will ever be.

If he's so great, why at the age of 25 is he still at a club like Newcastle? You do realise he spent last season playing championship football and only just had a good season in the premier league this season?

Further more, Spain's weakest position in their squad is left back and yet Enrique is yet to be capped.

He's just become flavour of the month this season and hasn't proved himself internationally or in Europe and yet suddenly he's this amazing left back in an average Newcastle side?
Original post by Straight up G
Pep Guardiola said this week that the only academy that can match La Masia is ours. That's all I have to say about our youngsters making the grade. It will not be surprising if both the Liverpool and England teams are filled with our academy's players in 5 years time. Robinson needs to improve his stamina, yes, but he's only 17. Flanagan only showed tiredness in his 7th consecutive match, imo he actually had his best game the previous match against Spurs. I never said that they will have to play a lot of games next year, I just said that in a few years they will be classed as HG. I don't think Jonjo will make it, and I think Spearing will never progress past squad player HERE, but Flanagan, Kelly WILL make it and Robinson has a good chance too.

Who cares what Guardiola says? He may know the Barcelona academy well from his time there but his views have little holding over here.

All I care is what Kenny/Borrell think but we'll never hear their true views since they can only publicly say that our youngsters have quality.

Our youth team didn't win the U18/reserve league did they?

It's great that you think they will make it, and likewise I hope that they do, but it's naive to assume they will especially when you consider the number of youth players who fail to make the grade. Insua was highly rated but has fallen at the last hurdle and there were a number of youngsters at the club in the past 5 years who we heard great things about but no one has come through yet. I'm optimistic about our future but I'm not blind sided as to what we may reap.
Original post by Doin it again
Kuks my friend, Liverpool should be aiming for the top players, creme da la creme. Not 2nd rate English players like Carroll and Henderson.

Another Midtable finish for Liverpool next season, as I believe Daliglish's honeymoon period will be over.

Both were promising youngsters and one of the best at their respective clubs last season.

I agree regarding quality of purchases but you also have to find value for money. Can't be spending 50mil per player trying to get the best, so in that case might as well spend £20mil and develop and player into the creme da la creme :colondollar:

We have a good spine to the team, without the likes of Carroll/Henderson but what we've lacked for the last 5 years has been a plan B or strength on the bench to change a game/cover for an injury.

The purchases of Carroll/Henderson are strong quality for the bench but also given time have the potential to become great players and this could make all the difference in the league imo.

We've still got a long summer to go and the owners are obviously ambitious.

I've been talking to someone at work who's a massive Red Sox fan and he didn't have a bad thing to say about the owners and said they are always competitive at the top end of the market and are winners. Astute businessmen who make the right decisions.
Reply 786
Original post by Zerforax
Both were promising youngsters and one of the best at their respective clubs last season.

I agree regarding quality of purchases but you also have to find value for money. Can't be spending 50mil per player trying to get the best, so in that case might as well spend £20mil and develop and player into the creme da la creme :colondollar:

We have a good spine to the team, without the likes of Carroll/Henderson but what we've lacked for the last 5 years has been a plan B or strength on the bench to change a game/cover for an injury.

The purchases of Carroll/Henderson are strong quality for the bench but also given time have the potential to become great players and this could make all the difference in the league imo.

We've still got a long summer to go and the owners are obviously ambitious.

I've been talking to someone at work who's a massive Red Sox fan and he didn't have a bad thing to say about the owners and said they are always competitive at the top end of the market and are winners. Astute businessmen who make the right decisions.

They will both be in the first team.
Original post by Zerforax
Who cares what Guardiola says? He may know the Barcelona academy well from his time there but his views have little holding over here.

All I care is what Kenny/Borrell think but we'll never hear their true views since they can only publicly say that our youngsters have quality.

Our youth team didn't win the U18/reserve league did they?

It's great that you think they will make it, and likewise I hope that they do, but it's naive to assume they will especially when you consider the number of youth players who fail to make the grade. Insua was highly rated but has fallen at the last hurdle and there were a number of youngsters at the club in the past 5 years who we heard great things about but no one has come through yet. I'm optimistic about our future but I'm not blind sided as to what we may reap.

Guardiola who came through the best youth system in the world, played for the best club in the world, managed the best youth system in the world, and now manages the best club with the best young players in the world? I think he knows enough about youth for it to have some meaning. I too doubt that our academy is the second best in the world, but it is pretty damn good. Pep would know how good as well seeing as Borrell and Segura are here, and he must have worked closely with him.

They did not, but they were far more disrupted by international commitments than others. And someone at the club, someone high up (I think Kenny/Stevie/Segura, not sure) that winning trophies as a youngster doesn't matter but it's producing quality players. Our team back in 06 won the FA Youth Cup, I think only Spearing has made the grade, that's irrelevant. Whereas Kelly etc lost the cup in the final, but are making the grade now.

I never backed Insua to make the grade. He was too weak and his crossing was too weak. Not particularly fast. Which youngsters have we hyped massively lately? Nemeth, Amoo for a short period of time. That is literally it that I remember. Buchtmann/Dalle Valle went elsewhere, Pacheco is still here. Insua flopped true. No-one else from memory.
Original post by MoMatrix
They will both be in the first team.

Of course ideally they impress over the summer, train hard and come into the new season and add a fresh breath to our side.
However we have a number of other quality players in those positions (Suarez/Kuyt and Lucas/Gerrard/Meireles).

I think we'll see the squad get rotated a lot more depending on the opposition and give everyone a chance until we see a clear formation and personal with which can win.

38 games and everyone has an important role to play. Take each game at a time and see where we finish at the end of the season.
Guardiola doesn't even have a bad word to say about Mourinho/Madrid, ffs. He inevitably always praises some facet of x, y or z. He's a nice guy.
Reply 790
Original post by Kevmeister
Guardiola doesn't even have a bad word to say about Mourinho/Madrid, ffs. He inevitably always praises some facet of x, y or z. He's a nice guy.

What's the deal with Jones? Apparently we've bid 21m now :lolwut:
Original post by kuks

Please don't let it be. Kuks I swear you tell us all the worst transfer rumours:tongue:
Original post by kuks

Venkys think they don't have to accept the bid of £16.5m from us, but they do - clause says '...any bid over £16m'. It's pretty pointless Liverpool bidding more, Venkys have to accept any bids over £16m. If your bid is real then it seems a case of FSG trying to show they're willing to spend, but it'll only cost you in the future, tbh.
Reply 793
Original post by Straight up G
Please don't let it be. Kuks I swear you tell us all the worst transfer rumours:tongue:

Only that one Aguero one TBF :colondollar:

Original post by Kevmeister
Venkys think they don't have to accept the bid of £16.5m from us, but they do - clause says '...any bid over £16m'. It's pretty pointless Liverpool bidding more, Venkys have to accept any bids over £16m. If your bid is real then it seems a case of FSG trying to show they're willing to spend, but it'll only cost you in the future, tbh.

I fully expect you'll to wrap it up but if we put our noses in and make you'll pay over the odds it's all the better :colone: What I understood is that the clause allows the club to talk to the player but Blackburn don't have to agree which sounds pretty daft to me.
Here's the latest on Phil Jones. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2002598/Manchester-Uniteds-Phil-Jones-bid-tatters-Blackburn-wont-bullied-Liverpool-launch-22m-swoop.html
It says that we could still get him, just because Utd have bid enough for his release clause it doesn't mean they have to sell to them, they can effectively start a bidding war and sell to the highest bidder.
Reply 795
Original post by lazy smurf
Here's the latest on Phil Jones. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2002598/Manchester-Uniteds-Phil-Jones-bid-tatters-Blackburn-wont-bullied-Liverpool-launch-22m-swoop.html
It says that we could still get him, just because Utd have bid enough for his release clause it doesn't mean they have to sell to them, they can effectively start a bidding war and sell to the highest bidder.

No, if they make the release clause, they have to accept it. It's up to Jones to accept the contract though, which could be a bidding war.
Original post by kuks
Only that one Aguero one TBF :colondollar:

I fully expect you'll to wrap it up but if we put our noses in and make you'll pay over the odds it's all the better :colone: What I understood is that the clause allows the club to talk to the player but Blackburn don't have to agree which sounds pretty daft to me.

I expect Gill will tear Venkys a new one, tbh. It's either one or the other, it can't mean both. Jones has agreed terms with Utd, its' a case of when not if. It'll just make Blackburn's owners even more of an embarrassment, they should've stuck to ****ing about with chickens, tbh.
Whatever happens with Jones, there is no denying how much of an embarrassment these Venkys people are, not only to the PL, but to themselves and to India. They clearly have no idea about football.
Reply 798
Original post by white_haired_wizard
Whatever happens with Jones, there is no denying how much of an embarrassment these Venkys people are, not only to the PL, but to themselves and to India. They clearly have no idea about football.

Just because they want the best fee possible? Yeah that's so wrong.
Reply 799
Did anybody else watch the two U21 matches last night? A couple of players there that look quite promising. Iceland's number 7 looked very composed and good on the balll until he went off injured. Then there's ofcourse Shaqiri who again had a very good game last night. Wouldn't mind us putting a bid in for him

Latest