The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Would you be happy with Insua at LB?
Original post by Da_hopeful_1

No.
I'd have Insua as 2nd choice left back. I think when he's 25/26 he'll be ready to step up and will become a great left back, but he's not there yet.
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
I understood why they spent the money on Carroll because of limited time in the transfer window and the fact that they needed a replacement for Torres. I agree on Henderson, although I've heard that the actual fee is £13m plus add-ons. What I meant was that they aren't throwing money at every target and paying over the odds for everyone. For the first time in a while, it seems that the board have a clear plan set out, and they are sticking to it.

It's always an interesting one. Papers report that Wickham is 8mil with add-ons to a potential £12.5mil and some papers reporting that Jones is £16.5mil possibly rising to £20mil.

Now, while we wont ever know the exact details, whenever Liverpool have had add-ons on deals, it's always the maximum which is always stated.
Original post by Da_hopeful_1

No, not experienced enough.

Ideally we would set up LB, how RB is currently set.

Johnson (26, turns 27 in August) and England international
Kelly (21) has had some league experience
Flanagan (18) had reserve/youth game experience and will look to build in league cup games etc

Instead at LB we've got:

Konchesky - not good enough
Aurelio - crock, can't be relied on
Robinson (17) similar to Flanagan

So ideally we'd have 2 new LBs, one who can play understudy and one who is experienced. So if we ended up with Enrique and Insua, I wouldn't be unhappy.
Other options like Clichy and Jose Angel, I'd also be happy.
Reply 1185
Apparently Alberto Aquailani does want to come back to Liverpool according to Sky Sports

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_7011010,00.html

Guess we have to wait and see what happens. Though I'd like to see how he is like, if he was worth the £20m
Reply 1186
RAWK delivers yet again. What the hell, easily the most cringeworthy football related photoshop I've ever seen. :rofl:

Original post by mau5
RAWK delivers yet again. What the hell, easily the most cringeworthy football related photoshop I've ever seen. :rofl:

WHAT THE ****ING ****?! IS THAT? i dont know whether to laugh, cry or what... but yeah thats cringeworthy

I have an issue with that formation, Am i to understand from this image that Gerrard was left out of the starting XI to perform a striptease for the management?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mau5

Haha that's kind of cool, and yet incredibly cringe-worthy at the same time.
Original post by milan5baros
Haha that's kind of cool, and yet incredibly cringe-worthy at the same time.

It's not cool, it's really sad haha.
Reply 1190
Some people have too much time on their hands
Original post by Stirlo
Some people have too much time on their hands

Whilst most people fap over sexy women when they have a spare hour, this guy is making art thats more likely to appeal to the homosexual community. Wow, just wow! He must be a closet manchester united fan or something. :lolwut:
Reply 1192
Ian Ayre
Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre admits the failure of former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett to build a new stadium "set the club back several years".

And Ayre, promoted from commercial director late last season by new owners Fenway Sports Group, said had it not been for huge strides made in off-field business during that time the finances would have been in a bigger mess than they were just before FSG assumed control.

Hicks and Gillett were eventually ousted last October when, with creditors Royal Bank of Scotland wanting repayment of a £230million acquisition loan, a sale to FSG was pushed through against their wishes.

They departed with work on the promised stadium in Stanley Park no nearer starting than it was when Gillett pledged "the shovel needs to be in the ground in the next 60 days" at his first press conference having bought the club in February 2007.

"When you look at what we have done in growing the business, if we had started building a stadium in 2007 we would be in it by now," said Ayre.

"It could have been brilliant but we have probably set ourselves back several years."

The Reds managing director admitted there could not be a greater difference between the previous regime and the current one.

"There was a great opportunity to maximise the value of the club and they (Hicks and Gillett) were right, it needed a new stadium and new people," Ayre told the Liverpool Daily Post's Business Magazine.

"What they got fundamentally wrong was using leveraged finance to run the business and try to develop the business.

"Without the significant increase in revenues God knows how much of a mess we would have been in.

"What we have now is people who really understand how to own, operate and run a sports business.

"They are very honest about their objectives; they listen - that's quite fundamental."

The stadium issue is one which still needs resolving but Ayre said they would not repeat past mistakes and rush their deliberations.

"Nobody is going to force ourselves or the owners to make a decision until we know what's right for the club, because that was what partly went wrong before," he added.

"Sometimes people won't like that it takes a long time. That's unfortunate but it's the way we do it.

"Once a week someone will ask me what is happening with the stadium and the answer is 'We don't know'.

"The reason we don't know is there are still the two solutions. They are a new stadium in Stanley Park or a refurbished Anfield - that obviously comes with all sorts of issues - and there are a million questions to answer.

"The new stadium in the park comes down to the economics; how do we pay it back? It needs a big naming partner.

"Until you get the answer to those questions it would be wrong and unprofessional for us to make a statement about what we are doing."

Yesterday principal owner John Henry reiterated his belief that rebuilding the club - both on the field and off it - was a long-term project with no quick fixes.

Despite the progress made under FSG and manager Kenny Dalglish, who revitalised the team when he took over from Roy Hodgson in January, there is still plenty of work to be done to restore Liverpool to former glories.

And Ayre echoed the views of Henry by saying: "There's nobody getting carried away with what can be achieved in what timescale.

"The owners have said they want to win. That means a lot of things.

"We don't want to win once, we want to build consistency."

Nice to see the stadium still being talked about.
Reply 1193
Original post by Mess.
Nice to see the stadium still being talked about.

Mr Henry was answering questions from fans on twitter last night and said that stadium discussions were still ongoing. Was nice to see him take some time to answer some questions
Reply 1194
RUMOURED TRANSFER TARGETS FOR SUMMER 2011
Charlie Adam
Scott Parker
Eden Hazard
Jose Enrique
Sylvain Marveuax - Newcastle £0
Ashley Young - Manchester United £16m
Matt Jarvis
Stewart Downing
Juan Mata
Phil Jones - Manchester United £16m
Brad Friedel
Scott Dann
Sergio Aguero
Gary Cahill
Blaise Matuidi
Alexis Sanchez
Emilio Izaguirre
Conor Wickham - Sunderland £12m
Jordan Henderson - Liverpool £16m

Anything missing from the list?
You could make that list about an extra 15 players long. Zapata, Clichy, Chivu, Diego for starters.

Although it looks like Clichy has gone to Man City, which is bloody annoying. They don't need another quality left back.
Reply 1196
Haven't even heard the Chivu and Diego ones tbh :holmes:
The Diego one's been doing the rounds for a week or so, since he got fined for being a naughty boy by his current club. Chivu was new to me before, it's on the gossip page of lfc.tv.
Been linked to Clichy quite a lot but looks like he might actually end up at Man City. :frown:
I wouldve happily bought Clichy for £7mil and re-signed Insua for £0 as left-back options. Both young with potential re-sale value, both experienced in the premier league and not splashing out too much in fees or probably even wages (when combined).

Could've then splashed out on Mata + Lennon for the wings :yep:

*goes back to FM*
Liverpool FC confirmed today that Assistant Manager Sammy Lee has left the Club by mutual consent.

Team Manager Kenny Dalglish said: "We'd like to place on record our thanks for all of Sammy's hard work over the years and the contribution he has made to Liverpool. He has always been a credit to the Football Club and a credit to himself. Everyone at Liverpool FC wishes him all the best in his future career."

Sammy Lee said: "I returned to the Club in 2008 and I'm proud of the contribution I've been able to make since then. I want to wish Kenny, the players and the supporters all the best going forward."

The Club will continue to analyse the requirements of their backroom team and will make further announcements in due course.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/sammy-lee-leaves-liverpool-1

Obviously everyone pretty much knew already. Guess that will make Clarke no.2?

Latest