The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by Straight up G
Exactly, in a team with talents like RvP, Huntelaar, Robben, Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Elia, Afuellay, Babel all available to play RW, it is Kuyt who starts there.

Kuyt tracks back which is a good attribute to have but when your winger doesn't commit and go at defenders then you have a problem.
Reply 1581
Original post by Zerforax
:rolleyes:
Main attribute for a winger or any player in the team is helping the team to win. Kuyt has always been an effective player in the side. Nuff said.

So you are in favour of Kuyt being your no 1 RW next season? Your lack of decent wingers is one of the reason you have done so badly for a long time now.
Original post by MoMatrix
So you are in favour of Kuyt being your no 1 RW next season? Your lack of decent wingers is one of the reason you have done so badly for a long time now.

I'm not btw. Though he's a fantastic squad option, considering he starts for Holland, the World Cup runners up.

And Kuyt doesn't need to commit and have a go at defenders, he gets past them because his movement is too good for them.
Reply 1583
Original post by Kevmeister
Oh dear. You're an interesting fellow. By that I mean you come across as a close-minded ****. Put me on ignore if you don't want to read my posts.

':smile:'

Cool. Glad I got on your tits.
Reply 1584
I'm not btw. Though he's a fantastic squad option, considering he starts for Holland, the World Cup runners up.

And Kuyt doesn't need to commit and have a go at defenders, he gets past them because his movement is too good for them.

That's an absolute lie.
I think Glen Johnson would be a better right winger than Kuyt.
Work rate is a admirable quality but it is not a skill, and that is what he lacks when playing matches.
No matter what anyone says though, I watch games of Liverpool in every competition, and I just can't agree that he is a good enough player for them- that is if Liverpool have aspirations of getting back to the top echelons of the game of course.
(edited 12 years ago)
The Kuyt and Lucas arguments could go on for days. I spend most weekends last season doing it.

Kuyt isn't a winger by trade, but still does damn good there usually.

Lucas is the 2nd best DM behind Essien in the league, arguably better on occasion. The stats back this up, he completes more tackles per 90 minutes than anyone, whilst conceding hardly any fouls.

If you look at Kuks' sig video of Lucas, you'll see he has more to his game than tackling, too.
Reply 1586
Kuyt is awesome.
Original post by lazy smurf
The Kuyt and Lucas arguments could go on for days. I spend most weekends last season doing it.

Kuyt isn't a winger by trade, but still does damn good there usually.

Lucas is the 2nd best DM behind Essien in the league, arguably better on occasion. The stats back this up, he completes more tackles per 90 minutes than anyone, whilst conceding hardly any fouls.

If you look at Kuks' sig video of Lucas, you'll see he has more to his game than tackling, too.

When was the last time he even played as a defensive midfielder let alone put in an outstanding performance?
Reply 1588
I don't think any of us would swap Lucas for any other DM in the league. I think that says it all.
Reply 1589
Original post by Pn94
I don't think any of us would swap Lucas for any other DM in the league. I think that says it all.

Tiote? :ahee:
Reply 1590
:facepalm2:
Reply 1591
John W Henry on Twitter
Interesting: from Jan 22 pts per game: Chelsea 2.06, Man Utd 2.06, LFC 2.00 Everton 1.75, ManCity 1.73, Arsenal 1.56, Spurs 1.56.........Goal differences from Jan 22: LFC +19, Chelsea +17, Man Utd +17, ManCity +9, Everton +8, Arsenal +6, Spurs +3.

Very interesting. 2 pts per game average, not far from Chelsea and Man U, these stats could be good very soon!

http://twitter.com/#!/John_W_Henry/statuses/88721210866806785
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1592
Original post by TM94
Tiote? :ahee:

Hehehehe.
There's some ****ing bellends end here tonight
Reply 1594
Kuyt is better than Nani (and I think Nani plays more off the left anyway).

Sorry to pick out the only bit that relates to my club, but imo this just isn't true at all. Nani is a fantastic player who can do everything, beat players using pace, beat them using trickery and getting them off balance, go past them on the outside, go past them on the inside, score goals, create goals, etc. Even his defensive work is underrated. That variety makes him extremely difficult to defend against. Without him last season I can categorically say we wouldn't have won the league. Bar the odd cameo from Berba in a few games, Nani carried our attack until January/February. It wasn't until the second half of the season that Chica made his real impact. 9 goals and 18 assists in 33 appearances. Regarding his transfer fee (from another post) he has completely justified it imo.

All of his best performances have come from the right btw, it's where he first impressed towards the back end of the 09-10 season and then made that wing his own when Valencia broke his ankle, i'd estimate between 25-30 of his 33 league appearances were from the right last season. Was a touch unlucky to get shunted back to the left and the bench when Valencia got fit again imo. I certainly wouldn't swap him for Kuyt, wouldn't even consider it. Not that Kuyt's a bad player.

Regarding Lucas, he seems to have gone through the same thing Fletcher went through at us. Underrated for a while before becoming a touch overrated. He's a good player and one of the best holding mids in the league, i'd put De Jong as the best and then Lucas on a similar level to Song, but it's easy to get carried away.

When it comes to attacking positions, I believe in alternatives. There are very few players out there who are suited to every game and every opposition.

Kuyt would be my first choice for half of the league opposition (the top teams, the ones with attacking left flanks etc) for his all round game.

Still think he does a decent job against the lesser teams but I wouldn't mind a pacey alternative who can beat his man.

Same way I'd like Downing + Mata in the ideal world :colondollar:
Reply 1596
You have got to be kidding me. It's actually insulting to those players that you claim Kuyt a centre forward by trade is better than the wingers I have named.

Kuyt hasn't play as a centre forward for nearly 4 years.

He plays on the wing for a national team that has an abundance of skillful wingers.

His goal and assist records are also second to none(13 goals and 8 assists), and smash wasters like Gareth Bale (1 assist, 7 goals) out of the water. Just because he doesn't beat wingers for pace doesn't mean his excellent movement doesn't create space for other attackers to run into.

At the end of the day, you have to be a moron not to rate Kuyt.
whats happening with aqaulani?
Liverpool have been granted a reprieve over plans for a 60,000-plus-seat stadium at Stanley Park after planning consents expired last month. The local?authority deadline for approved works to take place elapsed on 19 June.

A council spokesman, however, said it considers that the club has undertaken "sufficient works" in the three years since the decision to approve development was taken in 2008. The spokesman said it is now waiting on the club to take up the £300,000-a-year lease on the park site but he would not discuss when it must do that by.

It seems the council set a low threshold for what it considered sufficient development, since only enabling works to local infrastructure and the demolition of a row of 100?year?old houses behind the Anfield Road stand have so far taken place. This would also assist the club in expanding the existing stadium at Anfield, without having to move to Stanley Park.

"Work continues on examining both options open to us: refurbishment of Anfield and Stanley Park," a club spokesman said. However, there is no planning consent for an Anfield development and last October the council leader, Joe Anderson, made clear the council's opposition to the expansion of the existing ground. "I would discourage [Liverpool] from redeveloping Anfield and would encourage them to stick to the commitment that is already in place," he said.

Digger heard on Wednesday that the 19 June deadline had been enforced, obliging the club to open talks requesting a 12-month extension to the current Stanley Park consents. This is said to have been refused, along with a six-month extension, leading the council to wave through a three-month extension to September this year.

The council denied this is the case, saying: "A condition of the planning decision was that Liverpool had to start work by 19 June but we've accepted they have done sufficient work."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/06/liverpool-extension-stanley-park-stadium

Guess that's good news?

Original post by Charzhino
whats happening with aqaulani?

No one really knows what's going on. We have a pretty big squad now with some who will be moved on if they can, while still having glaring gaps. The numbers don't add up otherwise.
I guess most expect either Meireles or Aquilani to move on but probably not both. No one has come in for either yet though.

Latest