The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChrisWilliams
You can't really just judge Insua though. Insua was a player in a team where every single player horrifically under performed. How do you know that Insua stopped going forward because he was "found out defensively"? How do you know that it was a tactical decision by Rafa to try and keep things a little tighter at the back in an effort to try and get a few clean sheets together, and gain a bit of confidence and possibly momentum in the team? Johnson was appalling that season, as were the majority of the players who played with the exception of Reina.

Players playing in defensive positions usually improve with experience. Insua will be no different. He should be written off on a season where he should never have been first choice left back. He should have been a squad player then still learning his trade and that's exactly what he should be now! What's more, he counts as home grown as well!

I don't but neither do you, it's just how I saw it. I just don't think he can cope physically; he's short, not very athletic/pacy, his centre of gravity isn't so great. He's decent on the ball but that's it. There's a lot things he doesn't have that are very unlikely to improve. I would rather he was moved on...

I'd rather not play defenders out of position but I would rather have someone who isn't a liability in that position.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mikeylfc1989
I don't but neither do you, it's just how I saw it. I just don't think he can cope physically; he's short, not very athletic/pacy, his centre of gravity isn't so great. He's decent on the ball but that's it. There's a lot things he doesn't have that are very unlikely to improve. I would rather he was moved on...

I'd rather not play defenders out of position but I would rather have someone who isn't a liability in that position.

Admittedly he is very short but does he need to be that tall?

Evra - 5"8
Roberto Carlos - 5"6
Phillip Lahm - 5"7
Dani Alves - 5"7

Some of the best fullbacks around on that list? (I'm sure there are others too. Admittedly I'd like to see him improve on his jump.

In terms of pace, in 08/09 he had a good bit of pace about him, however I get the feeling for his long term development, he was told to bulk up physically to get some strength (which a defender needs) and from that he lost his pace.

But I'd argue that the same happened with Lucas, when he came initially he was a lightweight but in a middle period, he looked sluggish but now you can see physically he is in control, he's got core strength and good pace and complete control of his balance. Does that come straight away? Yes to some but not all.

If Insua's ability remains what it was at the end of 09/10 then I can understand your viewpoint but I think we live in a harsh footballing world where too many quick judgements are made. Just because a player hasn't proven his ability by 20-23, does not mean he cannot have a successful career. Yes the very best, the elite like Gerrard combine everything at a young age and have a massively long career but what about the beast we all know as Drogba? It wasn't till he was 23/24 till he showed his true potentially, and now we've seen a decade of one of the most destructive footballers around.

What do you think he can't improve on?
Physically - I've tried to show why he may have changed/developed/improved since we last saw him play
Height - No he cannot but he can learn to make it a non-issue like other top fullbacks
Crossing - was decent then, something a player can improve
Defending - Clarke may be able to help it? Seems to have helped Johnson in a short period

I'm struggling to think of many left backs who we could buy and to spend more money and wages on a back up player and throw away another player who might have some potential seems harsh.

Imo? I would give him one more season (subject to Kenny judging him in training/pre-season and liking what he sees) as 2nd choice LB. If he truly is going to fail, we still currently have Aurelio, Robinson or Flanagan/Jonhson/Agger/Wilson who could always cover the position in an emergency and then we can buy a new back up left-back in January/next summer.

Ideally our first choice LB should be playing 30-38 of our league games next season anyway.
Wigan have to sell N'Zogbia as he's come to his final year of his contract. Perhaps we chase him a little to draw out interest over Downing/Mata? :biggrin:
Reply 1783
Arsenal have apparently bid £18m now for Downing, be interesting to see if this is either true and how we respond to it
Frankly if they have bid £18m for Downing they can have him.

I'm sure we can find someone as good, or better for that money or less. Or stump up the extra £4m for Mata, who's younger and arguably much better.
Original post by lazy smurf
Frankly if they have bid £18m for Downing they can have him.

I'm sure we can find someone as good, or better for that money or less. Or stump up the extra £4m for Mata, who's younger and arguably much better.

which is ironic as Downing is the perfect player for Liverpool, and vice versa Mata for Arsenal
Original post by Da_hopeful_1
which is ironic as Downing is the perfect player for Liverpool, and vice versa Mata for Arsenal

Psff Mata and Downing would be perfect for us. I'm sure Mata could play on both flanks and down the middle if he needs to.
Original post by Zerforax
Psff Mata and Downing would be perfect for us. I'm sure Mata could play on both flanks and down the middle if he needs to.

yeah ofc, but he's more suited to arsenal
Original post by Da_hopeful_1
yeah ofc, but he's more suited to arsenal

That's like saying Suarez should be at Arsenal because he suits their style of play despite being a revelation for us. :eyeball:
Pachecho just tweeted this pic:

http://yfrog.com/kfpemegj

Meireles is on the plane going to China, so looks like he might be staying after all :smile:
Suarez has been phenomenal for Uruguay, bodes well for the season ahead.
Original post by Zerforax
That's like saying Suarez should be at Arsenal because he suits their style of play despite being a revelation for us. :eyeball:

Not really.
Reply 1792
Original post by Straight up G
Suarez has been phenomenal for Uruguay, bodes well for the season ahead.

Yeh he has been, wasn't as involved in the second half against Chile, but was exceptional in the first again. Really hoping he cuts down on his pretending to be injured roll though, gets me worried everytime.

He gets touched -> goes down holding leg that wasn't touched -> rolls -> puts hand on head -> holds hand in air as if injured -> looks up to see if anyones seen -> if seen repeat from step two 5/6 times, if not seen jump up and get angry with referee.

Gets me everytime thinking he is actually injured
Looks like Anfield wont be getting extended, a new ground is likely, which will be a sponsored ground.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/lfc-statement-on-stadium
Reply 1794
Looks like Anfield wont be getting extended, a new ground is likely, which will be a sponsored ground.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/lfc-statement-on-stadium

Probably the best solution tbf, hopefully we make it bigger than just 60k though.
Although it'll be a sad day when Anfield gets knocked down.
Original post by Pn94
Probably the best solution tbf, hopefully we make it bigger than just 60k though.
Although it'll be a sad day when Anfield gets knocked down.

It will be a sad day, so many brilliant memories.
Its just a few stubborn residents refusing to budge, otherwise it would be fine to redevelop, which is what Anfield the area needs, because at present its a **** hole in need of vast improvement.
Reply 1796
Its just a few stubborn residents refusing to budge, otherwise it would be fine to redevelop, which is what Anfield the area needs, because at present its a **** hole in need of vast improvement.

It'll be a sad day when/if they knock down Anfield, got many a memory of visiting it starting from when I was about 5. Will be a shame to see it go. If we do move to Stanley park the plan is to have a memorial garden where Anfield is currently I think, or have I made that up?
Reply 1797

Yep. I think the turf and part of the Kop aswell as the Hillsborough memorial should be preserved. Hopefully it won't be turned into some kind of commercial centre and there'll be a memorial garden or something created.

It's more to do with the council I believe, I think they see this as an opportunity to create a whole new structure at Stanley Park. And yeah Anfield does need re-developing, got so many iron curtains it's unreal. Hopefully the new build will be good and there will be a huge new Kop. One of the only good things the previous regime did was to come up with a Kop design which was designed to reveberate sound to the highest levels in order to make the stadium louder, hopefully we'll see something similar to that.
Reply 1798
Pachecho just tweeted this pic:

http://yfrog.com/kfpemegj

Meireles is on the plane going to China, so looks like he might be staying after all :smile:

Hopefully we'll see Pacheco before he goes to Spain for U20s world cup or something. Kenny needs to see him.... hopefully he won't loan him out - Look what happened to Jay Spearing after he was loaned out.

Meireles wanted to play in England I think and after a year, I don't think he has changed his mind. Hopefully He and Aqua will stay for another couple of seasons at least before moving on.

Anyone know the full line-up to China and Malaysia?
Reply 1799
It would be so sad if we had to move out from Anfield :frown:

Latest