The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by little_wizard123
I dragged a friend of mine who's a Utd supporter to Villa vs. Palace a while back and he ended up buying a Villa shirt for some reason with "Hitzlsperger 12" on the back. Cost him £60...

Try not to pay by letter :tongue:. I agree though, Bent and Albrighton are the other names I'd consider.

I'm off to Asia soon so hoping to pick one up off a sweatshop floor :teehee:

I am sure you already know this but your friend is an idiot :facepalm2:

Albrighton would be good. Always nice to have a local good english lad. I assume Bent will be #9 or #10 depending on Stephen Ireland so probably best to wait for confirmation of that before making your move.
Reply 321
Hitzlsperger was my absolute favourite player around the time that I first got in to Villa, if he came back I would love it.
Reply 322
Who do you think Mcleish will sign?
Reply 323
Original post by moore663

Messi, C Ronaldo, Salifou, Rachel Yankey, Zigic, Massimo Taibi and Gabriel Batistuta
I really want to do an article on Villa lately, just not sure what to cover... Stephen Ireland is an obvious one but it seems theres a chance he'll still be sat on the bench all season or on loan... :/
Reply 325

Seems likely players like Fahey, Ferguson, Johnson, Foster and Dann may join Villa, to follow McLeish, although Dann has stated he doesn't want to go Villa, which I must say, I am extremely happy about. Hate to lose any of those players though, especially Ferguson who is my favorite. All key players for us.

Villa will do well with McLeish, as much as i hate to admit it. He'll start to bring back the Villa which finished top 7 a few times. Was gutted to lose McLeish, especially to Villa, as with Villa's attack, and McLeish's tactics in knowing how to sort a a shakey defence, Villa will be extremly strong.
Reply 326
Dann is the only decent player of the lot, Ferguson? ****ing hell, we've already got Petrov, imagine those 2 in the middle of the park, doesn't bare thinking about. We don't need him, the centre of our midfield will belong to the likes of Delph and Makoun this year, along with old heads like Petrov and if we resign him (which I really really reall hope we do) Nige. Then there's Bannan and hopefully Gardner is given a go too.
Reply 327
Ferguson is quality. Does more than what people think. The season we finished top half, he was probably our best player. Hes the link between defense and midfield.

Only decent player? You're joking right? I doubt Guzan is any better then Foster? Guzans a decent keeper don't get me wrong, but Foster is better.
Your defense is shakey, and collins is a terrible centre back. If you're going to have a defender, at the least have them knowing the basics like clearing your lines, and oh..urhm tackling. thats what Johnson is, a good defender, not brilliant, but does the basics really well!

Fahey is extremely versatile, and McLeish really likes him. Adds Depth to your squad.

So, honestly mate, you could do with them all, maybe not Fahey, but almost certainly Dann, Johnson, Ferguson and Foster.
(edited 12 years ago)
Foster and Dann would be my preference but if Dann doesn't want to come then Johnson should be approached.

Fahey and Ferguson aren't good enough. Ferguson is 33 anyway and wouldn't add anything whilst Fahey could be ok if he was on pittance wages and was happy sat on the bench every week.
Where will Fabian Delph figure next season? He got it in him to warrant a starting place?
Reply 330
Original post by bluenose
Only decent player? You're joking right? I doubt Guzan is any better then Foster? Guzans a decent keeper don't get me wrong, but Foster is better.

I definitely agree with this. I think you're being pretty charitable to call Guzan decent really, going in to a season with him as a number 1 would be very far from ideal.

Original post by TheBallWinner
I really want to do an article on Villa lately, just not sure what to cover... Stephen Ireland is an obvious one but it seems theres a chance he'll still be sat on the bench all season or on loan... :/

That's not the best way to write an article.
Reply 331
Original post by TheBallWinner
Where will Fabian Delph figure next season? He got it in him to warrant a starting place?

It will be difficult for him to get a starting place, but i guess it depends on whether he impresses in pre-season or not.
http://www.joe.ie/football/football-news/betting-suspended-on-aston-villa-switch-for-given-0013572-1

Betting suspended on Shay Given moving to Villa :holmes:

Never heard of that site tbf, and it even says that it rests on the transfer fee being agreed so not exactly in the bag. Wouldn't be a bad choice though, and you'd imagine a good deal cheaper than Foster.
Reply 333
Original post by Colbert

Original post by Colbert
http://www.joe.ie/football/football-news/betting-suspended-on-aston-villa-switch-for-given-0013572-1

Betting suspended on Shay Given moving to Villa :holmes:

Never heard of that site tbf, and it even says that it rests on the transfer fee being agreed so not exactly in the bag. Wouldn't be a bad choice though, and you'd imagine a good deal cheaper than Foster.

I just had a quick look on oddschecker and it seems that both Given and Foster are at less than evens to transfer over to us, and Rob Green is just over evens. Considering we're only going to sign one those odds are terrible, which suggests there's not much importance placed on transfer bets.

Hypothetically though I'd be more than happy with any of them in a Villa shirt next season.
Original post by Phalanges
I just had a quick look on oddschecker and it seems that both Given and Foster are at less than evens to transfer over to us, and Rob Green is just over evens. Considering we're only going to sign one those odds are terrible, which suggests there's not much importance placed on transfer bets.

Hypothetically though I'd be more than happy with any of them in a Villa shirt next season.

I'd go Foster, Given, Green in order of preference but yes any of them would do. As long as Mcleish doesn't MON us and wait until the last few days to sort everything out I'll be happy.
Reply 335
Given would probably be my first choice from that list, purely based on how phenomenal he used to be. But Foster is a far better buy in the long term.
Reply 336
Such an obvious transfer, wondering why I haven't thought of it earlier :colondollar:

Given is a bit overrated but certainly good enough for you. Both him and Foster have sizable flaws in their game but are also capable of matches of brilliance, i'd argue Foster is a better goalkeeper though.

Depends on funds really, Given would be cheaper obviously. Ideally you'd have the £16-17mil from Young to spend on replacing Young, i've heard Etherington mentioned who would be ok but would need more additions with him.
I'd actually love Etherington, so consistent. No way it'd happen though.

I have read in the more local press that Darren Bent was bought with the money expected from the Ashley Young transfer which would explain why we don't have a bundle of cash to throw around. Downing leaving would obviously change things considerably.
Original post by Colbert
I'd actually love Etherington, so consistent. No way it'd happen though.

I have read in the more local press that Darren Bent was bought with the money expected from the Ashley Young transfer which would explain why we don't have a bundle of cash to throw around. Downing leaving would obviously change things considerably.

But Bent said several times that it was the service from Young and Downing that made him come; I'd be pretty angry if I was Bent and found out this was true.

Out of the goalkeepers mentioned, I'd have to say Foster. Given is better but I'd rather look past the next few years.
Reply 339
Original post by Louis.

Original post by Louis.
Such an obvious transfer, wondering why I haven't thought of it earlier :colondollar:

Given is a bit overrated but certainly good enough for you. Both him and Foster have sizable flaws in their game but are also capable of matches of brilliance, i'd argue Foster is a better goalkeeper though.

Depends on funds really, Given would be cheaper obviously. Ideally you'd have the £16-17mil from Young to spend on replacing Young, i've heard Etherington mentioned who would be ok but would need more additions with him.

Out of curiosity, what do you think are Given's big flaws. I can't say I've ever noticed many, but then I've never looked at him under the microscope, as it were.

Latest