The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by L18
Why do you want moyes, who has won the grand sum of **** all, over a european cup winning manager?

Can't get my head round this.

The question is more why we (well alot of Villa fans anyway) wouldn't want Benitez. I'll tell you - because he is an obnoxious man. Being the manager of Liverpool then yes all was fine and dandy, but to everyone else in the league he was just unpleasant.

That being said he is my 3rd choice - behind Carlo and Moyes.

I'm trying to reserve judgment on Martinez, although it's rather difficult. Problem is I think we need a strong man manager to get the most out of the team, he just doesnt seem to be that kind of guy. Some of the characters in our dressing room will walk all over him given the chance.

Hughes isn't looking like a bad appointment right now
Reply 141
Original post by hogso
The question is more why we (well alot of Villa fans anyway) wouldn't want Benitez. I'll tell you - because he is an obnoxious man. Being the manager of Liverpool then yes all was fine and dandy, but to everyone else in the league he was just unpleasant.

How was he obnoxious exactly? Because he wouldn't play the stupid games with the media? Or because he ahd the audacity to call Fergie out on what the FA are slowly waking up to?

Clearly you don't understand the reason he's so loved by LFC fans. You want a manager to fight your corner regardless, even if that doesn't do him favours with regards to national perceptions.

As someone who has met him, and from stories I've heard of others who have met him, there's nothing obnoxious about him. Stubborn and confident in his ways yes. I'd rather have a winner than a 'mr nice guy' like Hodgson.

David Moyes is just another Roy Hodgson.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by L18
David Moyes is just another Roy Hodgson.

Yes yes Liverpool hate Everton :blah:

He's an excellent manager and would do a job anywhere tbf.
Reply 143
Original post by Colbert
Yes yes Liverpool hate Everton :blah:

He's an excellent manager and would do a job anywhere tbf.

:rolleyes:

He's an excellent manager for a club who's biggest aspirations are too finish above 8th.

He'd absolutely **** himself at a club like Villa where the fans actually have aspirations greater than finishing above Birmingham.

Just like Hodgson. Big fish, small pond.
Original post by L18
:rolleyes:

He's an excellent manager for a club who's biggest aspirations are too finish above 8th.

He'd absolutely **** himself at a club like Villa where the fans actually have aspirations greater than finishing above Birmingham.

Just like Hodgson. Big fish, small pond.

I disagree (obviously :gah:) but he seems to have a far better set of skills than Roy. Except when he was sat in getting drenched in absolute despair against Bolton last season of course :mmm:

Everton won't finish top 10 after he goes, and he'd certainly settle the ship at Villa and have a presence in the dressing room that our players would respect. I think that's why a few on here are worried about Martinez. As for Rafa, he's won it all and noone can deny him that (as you can see he is my top choice) but Moyes would be an excellent option. We aren't going to finish top 6 now unless Arsene crumbles further because we can't match the money being spent, so if whoever comes in can guarantee 7th and a 'best of the rest' tag then I'd be more than happy.
Reply 145
Original post by L18
Clearly you don't understand the reason he's so loved by LFC fans.

His Liverpool side won you the Champions League - why wouldn't you love him? I'm not disputing the facst he's a good manager. I take it you have magically forgotten all his bull**** during the Barry saga. That's why Villa fans don't like him. We may be fickle but we're certainly not forgetful. Or forgiving, for that matter
Original post by hogso
His Liverpool side won you the Champions League - why wouldn't you love him? I'm not disputing the facst he's a good manager. I take it you have magically forgotten all his bull**** during the Barry saga. That's why Villa fans don't like him. We may be fickle but we're certainly not forgetful. Or forgiving, for that matter

I'd rather Rafa than most of the jokers we've been linked with tbf. At least he knows how to run a football club and build it from the ground up, some foresight we desperately need.

Just listening to Dave Whelan's interview on 5Live. Classy man.
Reply 147
Original post by Colbert
I'd rather Rafa than most of the jokers we've been linked with tbf. At least he knows how to run a football club and build it from the ground up, some foresight we desperately need.

Oh for sure, like I said previously, in a perfect world he's 3rd for me behind Carlo and Moyes.

Members of VT have found out the code for Randolph's private jet and are hoping to track it to find out where he is going, and then making more assumptions on the back of that. Desperate stuff. But it is rather amusing :colondollar:
Original post by hogso
Oh for sure, like I said previously, in a perfect world he's 3rd for me behind Carlo and Moyes.

Members of VT have found out the code for Randolph's private jet and are hoping to track it to find out where he is going, and then making more assumptions on the back of that. Desperate stuff. But it is rather amusing :colondollar:

Oh god :facepalm2: :teeth: Assume he's either in Birmingham or Wigan right now so probably not much action taking place either way.
Reply 149
How can Fulham attract better managers than you? :beard:
Reply 150
Martinez isn't exactly an exciting choice, but if we do go with him I'm going to at least try and give him a chance before demanding his head.
Fulham didn't attract better candidates. We've just rejected all the ones we were interested in :facepalm2:

Yeah will definitely support Martinez if he does come in. Not too excited about finishing 17th every year but his teams are renowned for nice football above all else so something to take away.
Reply 152
I was reading up on Roberto's management career, so I could come on here and give a serious defence of his appointment, but I got distracted and have spent the last hour reading up on the history of Wigan town, it's geography, and it's notable residents past and present. :facepalm2:

One day... :moon:
Reply 153
I quite like Martinez, tbh. Took a long time to get his system working at Wigan but these last couple of months they've been playing decent football and going at least someway to getting the results, too. With a better side I can see him doing well, Villa is a fair step up in terms of quality/expectations than Wigan's yearly aim of survival but it's good to see you'll be willing to give the guy a chance if he's appointed, hope the same applies for all of your fans.
Reply 154
Original post by scriggy

Original post by scriggy
I was reading up on Roberto's management career, so I could come on here and give a serious defence of his appointment, but I got distracted and have spent the last hour reading up on the history of Wigan town, it's geography, and it's notable residents past and present. :facepalm2:

One day... :moon:

:rofl:
Northern humour :colonhash:
Reply 156
Just want a manager in now. If Martinez decides to stay at Wigan today just give it to KMac & Ol' Big Nose, I don't think I could stand another week of this :sigh:

I have renewed my ST though :sick:
Reply 158
I am jusht putting the finishshing toucshes to my 'Bring in Shteve' campaignsh. I'll let you all shknow when it's shdone so you can join. You get a shfree brolly.
Let's face it. He's back :facepalm2:

Latest