The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ashley Young did nothing all night but through himself to the floor, Milner was useless as well. On a brighter note I got the new home kit today
Reply 1861
Looks like Lambert's first signing is close to being completed - Karim El Ahmadi from Feyenoord. A central midfielder with a 'good engine'. From what I've read, sounds like the perfect replacement for Stan. He'll be cheap too, ~£2m and ~£20k p/w wages if speculation is to be believed.
Original post by Rock Fan
Ashley Young did nothing all night but through himself to the floor, Milner was useless as well. On a brighter note I got the new home kit today

They both had miserable tournaments. Alex Oxo deserved another game instead of them.

Not particularly a fan of the new shirts, but they look a lot nicer whilst being worn.

Original post by hogso
Looks like Lambert's first signing is close to being completed - Karim El Ahmadi from Feyenoord. A central midfielder with a 'good engine'. From what I've read, sounds like the perfect replacement for Stan. He'll be cheap too, ~£2m and ~£20k p/w wages if speculation is to be believed.

I've been reading about this. Exciting times. This Brett Holman also looks like a decent addition to the flanks.
Soooo happy :u: about another Eredivisie signing for Villa! There's such great talent over there and El Ahmadi is another fantastic addition! I have a feeling he won't replace Petrov though, he's a little more attacking and probably a little more like a Bannan or Ireland than a Makoun or Reo-coker.
Steven Davis has rejected the move to Rangers newco apparently, and is now available on a free. Would love to have him back at Villa Park.
Davis would be good.

I keep seeing articles about Bannan wanting Lambert's babies so he is obviously hopeful of securing a first team birth with all this shmoozing and key networking imo.
Cuellar :mad: anybody else! He'll stick him at right back, of course.
Reply 1867
Carlos Cuellar, the Sunderland right back, nana-nana-nana-nana-nanaaaaaaa nannaaaaaaaaa, etc.
Reply 1868
Nooo Carlos! :frown:

Happy with Karim El Ahmadi though, depsite not knowing too much about him. A lot of people seem to have good opinions on him though.
Original post by Cll_ws
Nooo Carlos! :frown:

Happy with Karim El Ahmadi though, depsite not knowing too much about him. A lot of people seem to have good opinions on him though.

He's very good, watched him many a time! :wink:
Reply 1870
Culverhouse and Karsa joined up with Lambert today for the first day of pre-season training. Very good news. Rumours were previously abound that Norwich were playing 'hard ball' in regards to their contracts and waiting for compo, but their contracts apparently expired at the end of June, so looks like we've got them for free, same as Lambert...Norwich simply say they left with 'mutual consent'...
There was an emotional Stan Petrov today after he was wished happy birthday by all his team-mates.
[video="youtube;lGz5HR7R27I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGz5HR7R27I&feature=share[/video]
Third signing of the summer.

23 year old right back from League One's Sheffield United :adore:

Immediately goes into the squad as first choice full back by default as Hutton and Warnock are complete gash, but I think we still need a player in every position across the backline tbf.
Reply 1873
I quite like what I've seen of El Ahmadi. :yep: Along with his engine, he's got pretty good technique, hasn't he?
Original post by Abiraleft
I quite like what I've seen of El Ahmadi. :yep: Along with his engine, he's got pretty good technique, hasn't he?

Three signings I know nothing about so far. QPR look to have signed Park for £5m, I would take people like that.
Original post by little_wizard123
Three signings I know nothing about so far. QPR look to have signed Park for £5m, I would take people like that.

Are you sure? Park has lost it the past couple of seasons. Not what he used to be, two years ago I would've preferred him to Milner or Downing!
Original post by Colbert
Third signing of the summer.

23 year old right back from League One's Sheffield United :adore:

Immediately goes into the squad as first choice full back by default as Hutton and Warnock are complete gash, but I think we still need a player in every position across the backline tbf.

Perhaps not at centre-back. We have enough there in Dunne, Collins, Clark and Baker.
It's ****ing Warnock that needs to go as well as Hutton. Who would want to buy them though on the wages they're on?
Another left-back is on the list though. :yep: (Although we do have Stevens)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by boumavilla
Are you sure? Park has lost it the past couple of seasons. Not what he used to be, two years ago I would've preferred him to Milner or Downing!

I think signings like him would generally be received positively, and having hard working players would only be a good thing. Players like Benayoun I'd take as well. We're looking a little thin on quality as well really.
Original post by boumavilla

It's ****ing Warnock that needs to go :yep: (Although we do have Stevens)

I totally agree with that statement! He's a shocking defender! if we give something away our end you can normally place good money on the fact it was warnock's fault!
Past few seasons it's been obvious about the need for new defenders, though every manager has done nothing about it so hopefully lambert will. I think or offensive midfield needs strengthening as we have lost quite a few of good forwards and wingers. Bannan and Albrighton need to be played more this season to have any hope of them staying and becoming top performers at the club.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1879
The way Lambert is dealing with the transfer window is so refreshing, no more waiting until the final day of the window in anticipation before signing a load of rubbish like Hutton and Jenas.

I also like that he's obviously looking at the positions we're weak in and signing players to fix that. For some reason our other recent managers didn't seem to take that approach!

Latest