The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well for starters alcohol is a depressent.
Alcohol will stop the antidepressents from working.
Reply 2
Well I need alcohol in social situations due to lack of confidence, I am contemplating throwing them in the bin to be honest, Id rather see a counsellor than succumb to pills to get me through the day...
Reply 3
talk to your dr about talking-therapy instead then.
Reply 4
have you not been offered the option of counselling then? as if you've not you should ask for it, if you feel that would help more than ADs. I've been on several different meds in the past, and the best thing that has helped me is actually therapy.
Reply 5
have you not been offered counselling then? as you should have been really. i've probably had more than my fair share of doctors and ADs, and the thing which helped me the most was therapy. If you're prepared to work and you get a good T, its tonnes better than medication, you should ask your doctor about getting a referal.
Reply 6
It'll probably depend from anti-depressant to anti-depressant. Which one are you on?
Why not ask your doc a) for some talking therapy and b) if there are any you can drink on.
I dont believe in the drugs for myself, and as a result I've always refused anti-depressants, but it is worth bearing in mind that for some people they are a good thing. At least one of my friends at school was on them. Also they take a while to work, so don't expect immediate results.
Reply 7
Im on fluoxetine
Anonymous
Im on fluoxetine

Not much will happen if you drink on them, especially if you're on a low dose (20mg?), you might feel a bit nauseous, but like people have said, they won't work very well.

Antidepressents get an undeservedly bad press sometimes I think...'succumbing to pills' to get you through the day is no worse that succumbing to alcohol to get you through social situations. But that's probably another thread entirely.. :smile:
Reply 9
Anonymous
Im on fluoxetine

Read this;
Prozac Nation: Young and Depressed in America - A Memoir ~ Elizabeth Wurtzel, better than taking anti-depressants or counselling
A good doctor should take you through various types of treatment before prescribing anything. The first thing they will usually try is counselling so I'm surprised to hear your doctor didn't do so. I'd return to that doctor and explain the situation and that you're uncomfortable with taking the pills. Tell them that you'd like to try counselling and ask them why they didn't suggest this as an option. I don't know your medical or mental health background so I can't understand why any doctor would offer pills before therapy.

I also agree very much with what misslibby said. Anti-depressants aren't evil things which you give in to. They are designed to help people live day to day and cope with difficult times. You say you don't want to use a pill to help you through the day, but you are willing to use alcohol to get you through an evening. If you're not wanting to take pills that might potentially make you feel better then certainly don't drink a substance that will definitely make you feel worse.
Reply 11
reggie_boy
Read this;
Prozac Nation: Young and Depressed in America - A Memoir ~ Elizabeth Wurtzel, better than taking anti-depressants or counselling

i've read that! it is indeed very theraputic.
as to the whole anti-depressants + alcohol thing, don't do it. it will mess with your body. speak to your doctor about therapy.and good luck xx
reggie_boy
Read this;

:ditto: That is a great book! Read it a couple of weeks ago and it really helped me get things in perspective.
Reply 13
'Prozac Nation' is really good, I first read it when I went onto prozac and my T lent it me.The book of 'Girl Interupted' is good for 'meds talk' too.
They are by no means an alternative to therapy, but they make good general reading if you're interested in reading about depression etc. Some people like doing that, some people don't.

If you do want to talk about side affects and stuff, just PM me.
Reply 14
misslibby
Not much will happen if you drink on them, especially if you're on a low dose (20mg?), you might feel a bit nauseous, but like people have said, they won't work very well.

Antidepressents get an undeservedly bad press sometimes I think...'succumbing to pills' to get you through the day is no worse that succumbing to alcohol to get you through social situations. But that's probably another thread entirely.. :smile:

i was on fluoextine and it took one drink and i had no coordination between my limbs. so not advised. reacts differently in different people.
Reply 15
I'm really going to try not to get started on this...

Look, you've been prescribed anti depressants. You've been prescribed them for a reason, be it depression or whatever. Hence the prescribing doctor thinks you need to take them. So take them. If that means you can't go out and get wasted, deal with it.

And, christ, someone who's been prescribed ADs for the right reasons is not using pills to get through the day. Depression is an illness, people. I know a large proportion of normal society have issues grasping what mental illness is and the impact it can have on peoples' lives, but, you know, it sucks.

Have you ever wondered what would happen if normal folk took antidepressants? Nothing. That's right kids, nothing. They're not magic happy pills, they're medications to treat specific problems occuring from chemical imbalances in the brain.

Yes, I'm on a soapbox and I'm in a foul mood. Apologies.
palmer*
I'm really going to try not to get started on this...

Look, you've been prescribed anti depressants. You've been prescribed them for a reason, be it depression or whatever. Hence the prescribing doctor thinks you need to take them. So take them. If that means you can't go out and get wasted, deal with it.

And, christ, someone who's been prescribed ADs for the right reasons is not using pills to get through the day. Depression is an illness, people. I know a large proportion of normal society have issues grasping what mental illness is and the impact it can have on peoples' lives, but, you know, it sucks.

Have you ever wondered what would happen if normal folk took antidepressants? Nothing. That's right kids, nothing. They're not magic happy pills, they're medications to treat specific problems occuring from chemical imbalances in the brain.

Yes, I'm on a soapbox and I'm in a foul mood. Apologies.

i agree

Latest

Trending

Trending