The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mathsmusicfrench
Haha, good luck. Worthwhile activity though, but really, good luck. You'll need it!

I'm working at the Olympics, Paralympics and carrying the Olympic torch.. :smile: and even better I don't have to wiat for results because I've been there and done that, as it were.

Hahaha, thanks! OMG working at the Olympics, that's awesome! Maybe I'll see you on tv then! Too bad uni starts a few months before the Olympics or else I would be able to watch it live :frown:
Reply 3861
Original post by Norton1
Making philosophy grads dress as bears for our amusement seems to me something we should bring in in this country.

It'd certainly give us something to do :tongue:
Original post by Akiraryuu
Hahaha, thanks! OMG working at the Olympics, that's awesome! Maybe I'll see you on tv then! Too bad uni starts a few months before the Olympics or else I would be able to watch it live :frown:

Really? They start at the end of this month...
Really? They start at the end of this month...

Yeah, can't get my study visa until results come out and it'll be too expensive to fly to London twice just for the Olympics. :frown:
Reply 3865

Hahaha XD

I just found out today that for 2013 the tuition fees for Edinburgh are anticipated to be £9k which seems sensible enough. That's at least £2k cheaper than Aberdeen too. I decided to post it up on fb as if to say 'Abdn are greedy' and ended up having my cousin saying that neither place is worth that much and when I replied saying: 'well, not if you want to be a physicist' (because that's the area that her PhD is in) she replied saying that her undergraduate degree would get her a higher paying salary than mine.

I am honestly at a loss for words as to the stupidity of some 'highly' educated people :s-smilie:
Are we all supposed to be reading something before we start uni? :tongue:
Original post by aysha.19

I don't know about other Unis, but Exeter puts all its course modules and their relevant reading lists online. Two that feature in the first basic intro to law type module are:

Introduction to the English Legal System Martin Partington (OUP,5th edition, 2010) [the 6th edition is now out.]
Legal Skills Dr Emily Finch and Stefan Fafinski (OUP, 3rd ed, 2011)

and another good one I've read is "What about Law?" Catherine Sutherland, Graham Virgo et al. (Not sure, google it)
Reply 3868

I don't think you have to read anything before uni starts but if you want to read a little bit around try "Learning the Law" by Glanville Williams :smile:
I don't know about other Unis, but Exeter puts all its course modules and their relevant reading lists online. Two that feature in the first basic intro to law type module are:

Introduction to the English Legal System Martin Partington (OUP,5th edition, 2010) [the 6th edition is now out.]
Legal Skills Dr Emily Finch and Stefan Fafinski (OUP, 3rd ed, 2011)

and another good one I've read is "What about Law?" Catherine Sutherland, Graham Virgo et al. (Not sure, google it)

So are you reading any of these?
So are you reading any of these?

As I said, I've read the Sutherland/Virgo (mostly). I own (now) a previous edition of the Partington and have had a glance or two. That may progress into a breif peruse at some point over the summer...
Reply 3871
Hello !

I haven't read all the post at this thread but have a question.

What "good" Law schools in the UK accept 37 Ib points ??
Original post by filren
Hello !

I haven't read all the post at this thread but have a question.

What "good" Law schools in the UK accept 37 Ib points ??

Exeter, Queen Mary, Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham ...just to name a few
Reply 3873
A month today people!!!
Original post by sasha165
A month today people!!!

Oh god.. :afraid:
Original post by sasha165
A month today people!!!

Tummy is in knots already.. D;
does anyone here watch the show 'Suits' (US legal drama)?
Original post by thelawstudent
does anyone here watch the show 'Suits' (US legal drama)?

I think asking does anyone here NOT watch the show 'Suits' would be more appropriate.
Original post by Tsunami2011
I think asking does anyone here NOT watch the show 'Suits' would be more appropriate.

True. My solicitor friend (see above) (I think) told me to watch Silk when it was on, he siad it was fairly close to the ticket in terms of barrister life in London. Then at the end of the series *Spolier* the chamber's head clerk starting beating up members of the BSB. My solicitor freinds retracted his earlier statement.

I thnk the moral of the story is the TV is all a lie. All of it.

On the other hand, did some marshalling with a judge in Cardiff crown court, was brilliant, that was realistic. 4 trials, and 4 different ends to each, so good experience to watch. (a Sentencing, a change of plea, a not guilty and the stat of a new trial which is still ongoing...)
Suits is still a good/entertaining drama regardless!

on a side note, just how different is Suits compared to the real world of working for a big MC/City law firm?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending