The Student Room Group

uni choice

ik im probably being super annoying posting this here, when everyone else on this thread is worrying about their pupilages etc. but no other forum has rlly replied and given me much of an answer to make me feel better.

i have got an offer to study from both bristol and leeds for llb law next year, and I absolutely love leeds and would firm in a heartbeat, however, I'm really worried that due to it only being a top law school in the last decade or so, it is not going to receive the same like acknowledgement when applying for careers. I also don't now if this is even that important of a factor.

Basically... I'm clueless, and I am just wondering if me going to Leeds (less prestigious, less links to big firms idk?) will disadvantage me.

Again I'm sorry for posting this here but if anyone could help I would be so so so grateful.
Original post by jaijaj
ik im probably being super annoying posting this here, when everyone else on this thread is worrying about their pupilages etc. but no other forum has rlly replied and given me much of an answer to make me feel better.

i have got an offer to study from both bristol and leeds for llb law next year, and I absolutely love leeds and would firm in a heartbeat, however, I'm really worried that due to it only being a top law school in the last decade or so, it is not going to receive the same like acknowledgement when applying for careers. I also don't now if this is even that important of a factor.

Basically... I'm clueless, and I am just wondering if me going to Leeds (less prestigious, less links to big firms idk?) will disadvantage me.

Again I'm sorry for posting this here but if anyone could help I would be so so so grateful.

In one of your other threads on this same topic you wrote, "I know its obvious im just so indecisive and overthink it so much".

I'm therefore fairly sure than no advice that anyone gives you will provide that warm fuzzy feeling of being absolutely sure you're making the right decision.

Let's try another approach. What would the perfect answer that you're really hoping someone provides, as it will provide you with "permission" to do what it is you actually want to do?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
In one of your other threads on this same topic you wrote, "I know its obvious im just so indecisive and overthink it so much".

I'm therefore fairly sure than no advice that anyone gives you will provide that warm fuzzy feeling of being absolutely sure you're making the right decision.

Let's try another approach. What would the perfect answer that you're really hoping someone provides, as it will provide you with "permission" to do what it is you actually want to do?

wow! thanks for the super friendly reply.
I just want to know if the prestigiousness of the uni actually matters, if it doesn't matter its obvious which uni I'm going to pick, but i don't know if it does matter. when I've posted before, people have said its obvious to go to leeds bceause i want to, but i have never been able to figure out how much the university does matter, despite looking online and asking before - and obviously i am going to worry about this.

you could try another approach, consider not replying this condescendingly to someone just asking for advice? doesn't make you look like a great person talking down to a 17 year old lol, because i don't feel like there was much need for your reply.
Original post by jaijaj
wow! thanks for the super friendly reply.
I just want to know if the prestigiousness of the uni actually matters, if it doesn't matter its obvious which uni I'm going to pick, but i don't know if it does matter. when I've posted before, people have said its obvious to go to leeds bceause i want to, but i have never been able to figure out how much the university does matter, despite looking online and asking before - and obviously i am going to worry about this.

you could try another approach, consider not replying this condescendingly to someone just asking for advice? doesn't make you look like a great person talking down to a 17 year old lol, because i don't feel like there was much need for your reply.

Data from the Graduate Outcomes survey (2018-2020) and the Longitudinal Education Outcomes dataset (2012-2014, so quite old) show that Law graduates from University of Bristol, on average, earn more after 15 months, 3 years and 5 years and are slightly more likely to be working as legal professionals. That's compared with Law graduates from University of Leeds. This data is available on a Government web site called Discover Uni. Note that the number of respondents isn't massive (particularly for the occupations types) - so bear that in mind.

Key details for graduates from University of Leeds for all full-time Law courses, here:

DiscoverUni - Law - Leeds.png

Key details for graduates from University of Bristol for all full-time Law courses, here:

DiscoverUni - Law - Bristol.png

Note that above does not provide an explanation for the difference in earnings between graduates from the two universities. It may be that graduates from Bristol tend to stay in the area, when income levels are naturally higher than income levels in Leeds. Or it might be that the best law firms seek our Bristol graduates (more so than Leeds graduates). Or it might be that students who are accepted to Bristol are "better" students in some way, and it their individual characteristics - not the university itself - which helps them secure higher incomes after having graduates. Or it might be for a dozen other reasons.

You might also like to read The Graduate Market in 2023 which includes the following table (which is not specific to law) which shows Bristol and Leeds almost equally ranked in terms of "Universities Targeted by Largest Number of Top Employers in 2022-2023":

The Graduate Market in 2023 - Table 4.6.JPG

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending