The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I was disappointed with my GCSEs when I got them, A*AAAAAABBC, but I thought they were solid enough to get me into a good university for law? I assumed that predicted grades would be more important and aside from oxbridge GCSEs didn't much matter. But then I'd like to go to Durham and it's going to be hard I think. got AABB at AS but close to As with the Bs and I hope I can improve! I really can't get my head around which courses to apply for.... ahh
Reply 381
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I'm getting wound up because this is hugely frustrating. A person who has read books about law, even one who has done work experience, is not a well rounded person. That doesn't mean grades alone are enough, or that an applicant with a PS which doesn't discuss law outside of A level would stand a chance. I'm playing semantics, basically.

And no, it doesn't; but it does mean I have managed, in the past, to write a PS which is good enough for entry to the course, which would suggest I have some idea what I'm talking about. That's the only reason I mention it.

I never for one second denied that you did not know what you were talking about.
But even writing a PS eloquently demonstrates good communicative skills one out of many desirable traits, just because it isn't mentioned in admissions policy does not make it a non requirement. It's kinda like begging the question of how far would a PS for LSE go with 50 grammatical errors.

By mentioning the strengths they demonstrate a myriad of traits. The way you are simply writing now indicates to me that you are intelligible etc.

I really do not know why you are getting hostile when I am only giving the advice you are advocating. I really did bother to read your stuff.

Lastly that pic is hilarious who ever posted it. lool.
Original post by Casey463
I never for one second denied that you did not know what you were talking about.
But even writing a PS eloquently demonstrates good communicative skills one out of many desirable traits, just because it isn't mentioned in admissions policy does not make it a non requirement. It's kinda like begging the question of how far would a PS for LSE go with 50 grammatical errors.

By mentioning the strengths they demonstrate a myriad of traits. The way you are simply writing now indicates to me that you are intelligible etc.

I really do not know why you are getting hostile when I am only giving the advice you are advocating. I really did bother to read your stuff.

Lastly that pic is hilarious who ever posted it.
lool.

Thanks.

:pierre:
Reply 383
Original post by Cast.Iron
Syntactical and grammatical errors aside, I am intrigued. What could possibly make you think that?

LoL, unless you are marking a submission of mine than I do not care what you think.
Reply 384
Original post by missmoll
I was disappointed with my GCSEs when I got them, A*AAAAAABBC, but I thought they were solid enough to get me into a good university for law? I assumed that predicted grades would be more important and aside from oxbridge GCSEs didn't much matter. But then I'd like to go to Durham and it's going to be hard I think. got AABB at AS but close to As with the Bs and I hope I can improve! I really can't get my head around which courses to apply for.... ahh

If you are adamant on going to Durham make sure you assign them as your firm upon receiving an offer. Reason for this is because if you slightly miss your conditions than you still remain in a good position of being accepted despite slightly missing them.

Good luck and I hope you get the conditions met etc.
LoL, unless you are marking a submission of mine than I do not care what you think.

Well here's a parting tip I'll give you for free: it's 'then' not 'than'.

You may want to work on your homophones too. You know, to avoid bad legal writing :rolleyes:.
Reply 386
Well here's a parting tip I'll give you for free: it's 'then' not 'than'.

You may want to work on your homophones too. You know, to avoid bad legal writing :rolleyes:.

Enjoy you're 2:1. You know that I am right and it is hurting you right now :P

POST THE 'YOU MAD SIG' FOR DRAMATIC EFFECT PLEASE artist !
Enjoy you're 2:1. You know that I am right and it is hurting you right now :P

POST THE 'YOU MAD SIG' FOR DRAMATIC EFFECT PLEASE artist !

You are evidently a troll.
Reply 388

Quite a handsome one might i add :smile:
Quite a handsome one might i add :smile:

I am embarrassed for you.

Returning to the original debate, one should not answer a question with another question. It's elementary stuff.

I am afraid that I cannot read any more of your idiocy and therefore do not expect a reply.
Reply 390

Dude relax, a 2:1 is still good though :biggrin:

Honestly, I would settle for a 2:1..... If it weren't for the fact that i want a 1st. But meh, see how it goes.
Reply 391
I am embarrassed for you.

Returning to the original debate, one should not answer a question with another question. It's elementary stuff.

I am afraid that I cannot read any more of your idiocy and therefore do not expect a reply.

Bye, I am not posting because of you I'm afraid. Take care :smile:
Reply 392
Bye, I am not posting because of you I'm afraid. Take care :smile:

Oh and its clear that you do not understand that style of writting.

Allow me to educate.

Problem

Elaborate

Find another problem, pose it into a question, try to explain, define or comment.

The law has many vague and ambiguous definitions. That level of exploration is needed.

Tsk tsk tsk.
Reply 393
Oh and its clear that you do not understand that style of writting.

Allow me to educate.

Problem

Elaborate

Find another problem, pose it into a question, try to explain, define or comment.

The law has many vague and ambiguous definitions. That level of exploration is needed.

Tsk tsk tsk.

When I studied Bigamy it looked clear at the beginning but after analyzing the precedent or statute, one comes to the realization that its all just a big mind ****.
Reply 394
Out of the ones you chose you should stick with University of Birmingham, Warwick, and UCL. Ditch the others, if you want to get into a good firm then going to the elite law unis would maximize your chances.

As mentioned before, they do not have a benchmark score however a high score is good. If you do badly on the multiple choice section in the LNAT then you still have a chance to do good in the second part of the test (Essay). So do not panic, the test is not easy but the essay part will allow you to make up for any short comings in part 1. This years average for the LNAT was 17 out of 42.

Once again as mentioned earlier, go to the top 5 or Red bricks if you really aspire in going to the top places, even then its not a guarantee but a good start.

(University of Birmingham Undergrad)

Thank you for the advise, i am cetainly going to apply for uni of bham, warwick and UCL. However, i am still unsure what other two universities to apply for, is lancaster university any good for law?
Reply 395
I just re read what he posted.

He mentioned *Should* be three A's.

In this case its a gamble, If he applies to the top and does not get three A's then you can kiss those choices good bye well before you receive a formal rejection.

If you want a secure method then do what the others are proposing.

Depends on what you want. The risky path or the secure one.

I was literally few marks away from an A and so should (hopefully) get an A after i have retaken the exam, on that note my predicted grades nonethless should be A* A* A so i don't fully understand why i won't be able to acces the elite unis such as UCL.
Reply 396
Original post by madrid90
I was literally few marks away from an A and so should (hopefully) get an A after i have retaken the exam, on that note my predicted grades nonethless should be A* A* A so i don't fully understand why i won't be able to acces the elite unis such as UCL.

Don't listen to them, just make a strong application and do it. Nothing is too certain in life.

It is part lottery and part luck.

Wish you all the best and if you have any further questions just inbox me. People like to argue over who is right in this thread and flame others :P Naivety at its peak.
Reply 397
Madrid, apply to Universities that are in the top 20 for Law.

Do not settle for anything less. Unless you just want to work anywhere and are not fussed about where you will end up.
Reply 398
This whole prediction stuff confuses me, it varies from school to school on what they are willing to predict, for example i will get predicted an A* for English and Biology, but probably not History despite getting 90%.....My school does attach our unit scores onto all our applications but im sure there are schools who would predict an A* for a subject with lower %s?

Im not sure but thats the way it seems to me, and im getting worried my predictions wont compete because of my school....Also we do all our exams in June so not resists or anything at our school..
I recently got my AS Results and I got four A's.

My uni choices are Cambridge,Manchester,Nottingham and Exeter.
I was considering applying to LSE but I want to be realistic. My other choice was Queen Mary until I found out that they now ask for one A star. Just in case I don't get into those unis, should I also consider applying to Reading. Alongside Exeter, Reading was my insurance choice.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending