The Student Room Group

Weird decision concerning a lonely friend

Alright, so last night one of my best mates (who has just split up with her BF, so is a bit lonely, I guess...) took me out to her work dinner (I gave her some flowers) which was rad until they started singing Christmas carols lol anyway then her other friend who she was going to the coast with rang...

to say that she couldn't go anymore, so this mate (mate 1) asks me to go with her instead :eek:

I can't because I'm working.

I tell her this, and then she's like, oh I'll just pay you the $150 or whatever that you'd be making this weekend to come with me :smile:

Weird!!! Ok, I know she's trying to be nice, and she is truly an awesome friend, but don't any of you think that PAYING for someone to hang out with you is a bit lame :rolleyes: :frown:

Your thoughts? And should I go to the coast or not? I've already been with another set of friends I have from high school :biggrin:

Poll coming!

Let's help determine DB's weekend :p:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
She's not really paying you to go with her.. just making up for what you'd lose if you went, and missed work.

I say go with her.
Would you take the money?
Reply 3
robbieKlik
She's not really paying you to go with her.. just making up for what you'd lose if you went, and missed work.

I say go with her.

concur
Reply 4
Happy Cycling
Would you take the money?
I know, that's the thing - I'd feel bad about taking the money. But I need it! I told her I've outstanding rent to pay which is why I need to work, but I'd rather WORK for the money if you know what I mean :wink: Earn it :cool:
Reply 5
danni_bella83
I know, that's the thing - I'd feel bad about taking the money. But I need it! I told her I've outstanding rent to pay which is why I need to work, but I'd rather WORK for the money if you know what I mean :wink: Earn it :cool:

earn it by partying
Reply 6
notts
earn it by partying
Yeah but it's weird tho! I'd feel wrong! :laugh:
I guess if you value her friendship, you should really go with her. There will be more parties in future...
Reply 8
Happy Cycling
I guess if you value her friendship, you should really go with her. There will be more parties in future...
Yeah she's like a great friend, always there for us, and last night she picked me up and took me to the dinner, paid for it and everything, she's such a nice friend :redface:

Too nice, we don't deserve her lol :biggrin:
Reply 9
Ok I know most people are like 'do it! Do it!' hehe which I don't blame them :p: But I think I will work, because I've just been to the coast, I went to all the NSW coasts there are I think, I had such a ball! Saw friends, hung out, went surfing, but now I'm back I think it's really about time I worked because I've got a fair few bills to pay :redface:
Reply 10
i know somoene who used to buy my friendship

quite imature at the time that was a bunch of free piss ups and lifts home lol

regret using people like cash machines and taxis now i wouldn;t do it again!!
So it's not just the partying?

I think that's a pretty reasonable excuse if you've already been etc.
Reply 12
Laursy
i know somoene who used to buy my friendship

quite imature at the time that was a bunch of free piss ups and lifts home lol

regret using people like cash machines and taxis now i wouldn;t do it again!!
I know, I'm glad somone else agrees with me here that I view this situation as a bit dodge :cool:

It doesn't make sense, and even told her 'look, I'll arrange another weekend sometime in January before I go back to Melbourne to go camping or something mad like that' but she still insists on paying me to hang out with her for the weekend :redface:

:eek:
Taking money from friends is always really awkward.
Reply 14
Happy Cycling
Taking money from friends is always really awkward.
Which is why you can probably understand my decision I have just made to stay back and work :wink:

It's just better that way for me anyhow, coz another one of my uni friends is having her 21st tonight, and I can pop into to her party before going to work (I've got a promo shift from 10-2... am :eek: Then work for a television company tomorrow from 10-2pm :biggrin: And the nightclub promo on that same night, same time but into the morning :wink: ), and I love the work I do so it's all good :smile:
Reply 15
To be honest, I don't think you need anyone else's opinion, your mind seems pretty much made up.

You just feel guilty about it. Just say you will go another time or something. But, I'd be asking myself why I actually didn't want to go. I mean, I doubt it's because you have been before. If the same set of friends you went with previously asked you again I bet you would go right? (If money was an irrelevant factor).

Don't go if you don't want to. But you should probably address the underlying issue.
Reply 16
zhivago
To be honest, I don't think you need anyone else's opinion, your mind seems pretty much made up.

You just feel guilty about it. Just say you will go another time or something. But, I'd be asking myself why I actually didn't want to go. I mean, I doubt it's because you have been before. If the same set of friends you went with previously asked you again I bet you would go right? (If money was an irrelevant factor).

Don't go if you don't want to. But you should probably address the underlying issue.
No I like this friend, lol I hope you don't think I'm being a snob or something :p: I just thought it was weird that she was keen on paying me a large quantity of smackeroos (excuse my Aussieness :biggrin: ) just to hang out with her, when she's already going with cousin of hers :cool:

I smelt desperation.

--------------

Omg she just sent me a text message saying she was going to bump the $150 up to $170, slightly weird or what?!? Sorry I can't do this, I'm gonna have to let her know I'm just too busy :/
Reply 17
zhivago

No I like this friend, lol I hope you don't think I'm being a snob :p: I just thought it was weird that she was keen on paying me a large quantity of smackeroos (excuse my Aussieness :biggrin: ) just to hang out with her, when she's already going with cousin of hers :cool:

I smelt desperation.

--------------

Omg she just sent me a text message saying she was going to bump the $150 up to $170, slightly weird or what?!? Sorry I can't do this, I'm gonna have to let her know I'm just too busy :/
Reply 18
danni_bella83
but don't any of you think that PAYING for someone to hang out with you is a bit lame :rolleyes: :frown:

I would call it a very kind generous friend whos willing to pay to spend time with a friend.
Reply 19
danni_bella83
Alright, so last night one of my best mates (who has just split up with her BF, so is a bit lonely, I guess...) took me out to her work dinner (I gave her some flowers) which was rad until they started singing Christmas carols lol anyway then her other friend who she was going to the coast with rang...

to say that she couldn't go anymore, so this mate (mate 1) asks me to go with her instead :eek:

I can't because I'm working.

I tell her this, and then she's like, oh I'll just pay you the $150 or whatever that you'd be making this weekend to come with me :smile:

Weird!!! Ok, I know she's trying to be nice, and she is truly an awesome friend, but don't any of you think that PAYING for someone to hang out with you is a bit lame :rolleyes: :frown:

Your thoughts? And should I go to the coast or not? I've already been with another set of friends I have from high school :biggrin:

Poll coming!

Let's help determine DB's weekend :p:

I just this moment return from the first floor TV room having watched Indecent Proposal (for a second time); and what do I find? :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending