The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7000
Original post by Slumpy
After about an hour and a half, people seem to start to lose interest with me, so you must be doing something right!(So long as they want to do A-level stuff in GCSE..)
I have no idea whether he wants A level stuff, but I could only think of two ways that don't involve logs to explain why his idea worked.

On that subject, can you think of a good way to solve 8^m=2^m^2? I don't think many GCSE students would approach the question in a way that would allow them to spot the method that I suggested.
Reply 7001
Original post by harr
I have no idea whether he wants A level stuff, but I could only think of two ways that don't involve logs to explain why his idea worked.

On that subject, can you think of a good way to solve 8^m=2^m^2? I don't think many GCSE students would approach the question in a way that would allow them to spot the method that I suggested.

Assuming you mean 2^(m^2), I'd just go 8^m=(2^3)^m=2^(3m)=2^(m^2)
so m^2=3m, m=3.
I take it that's basically the route you took?(Can't think of anything much simpler..)
Reply 7002
Original post by Slumpy
Assuming you mean 2^(m^2), I'd just go 8^m=(2^3)^m=2^(3m)=2^(m^2)
so m^2=3m, m=3.
I take it that's basically the route you took?(Can't think of anything much simpler..)
Yes. I explained why I'd consider 8^m=(2^3)^m, but I'm still not convinced that he'd spot it in future. He then suggested the m^2=3m, so could get it from there (apart from m=0). He couldn't come up with a good explanation as to why 2^(3m)=2^(m^2) => m^2=3m, but possibly they don't expect one.
Original post by gethsemane342
I will do so if you can prove you can use a calculator. My only criteria for a treasurer is that s/he knows how to use one as I feel this is a basic requirement. The current treasurer can't, as far as I can tell, which leaves me in some doubt as to the future of the Law Soc :wink:

(I would say which one are you but considering the other one is female, I think I can guess which one you must be. Unless there's something you're not telling me)

(If you win it, I may be slightly nicer with the prices I set my books at in the CULS booksale at the end of the year. I was very mean to the current treasurer last year which is how I discovered the calculator criteria - I ended up doing all the calculations myself because his didn't add up... If the other person wins, I might be even meaner than I was :wink:)

Ha! A-Level Maths and AS Further Maths here! :smug:

But yeah, it would mean a hell of a lot if I won! :puppyeyes:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Ha! A-Level Maths and AS Further Maths here! :smug:

But yeah, it would mean a hell of a lot if I won! :puppyeyes:

At hustings, you should introduce yourself as "the one with the weird surname", since that's how everyone seems to know you. :wink:

But yeah, I'll vote for you. If I continue doing Per Inc (will depend on whether I apply/the President and Secretary appoint me), it'll be useful to have an ally to approve my expenses. :colone:
Reply 7005
Original post by harr
Yes. I explained why I'd consider 8^m=(2^3)^m, but I'm still not convinced that he'd spot it in future. He then suggested the m^2=3m, so could get it from there (apart from m=0). He couldn't come up with a good explanation as to why 2^(3m)=2^(m^2) => m^2=3m, but possibly they don't expect one.

Yeah, I see that point. Didn't immediately spot m=0 myself, so I'd be ok with that:p:
I imagine at GCSE you don't need to come up with a good explanation, but perhaps just pointing out 2^x is monotonic, so if either 3m or m^2 is bigger, the two sides aren't equal(obviously very rough, but perhaps enough?).
Original post by Tortious
At hustings, you should introduce yourself as "the one with the weird surname", since that's how everyone seems to know you. :wink:

But yeah, I'll vote for you. If I continue doing Per Inc (will depend on whether I apply/the President and Secretary appoint me), it'll be useful to have an ally to approve my expenses. :colone:

Hah, at least I'm memorable? :wink:

Wahey, that's awesome! Canvas among all the Pembroke lawyers and your lawyer friends in other colleges! Oh, by the way, I met the German girl in your year who got a first last year- she's really nice!

Remind her how nice I was and get her to vote for me! :colone:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Hah, at least I'm memorable? :wink:

Wahey, that's awesome! Canvas among all the Pembroke lawyers and your lawyer friends in other colleges! Oh, by the way, I met the German girl in your year who got a first last year- she's really nice!

Remind her how nice I was and get her to vote for me! :colone:

What, the one who's heavily involved in the Union? When on earth did you meet her? :confused:

(By way of quid pro quo, you should vote MY for Secretary. :yep:)
Original post by Slumpy
After about an hour and a half, people seem to start to lose interest with me, so you must be doing something right!(So long as they want to do A-level stuff in GCSE..)

Ha. After talking to me for more than half an hour most people lose interest...
What, the one who's heavily involved in the Union? When on earth did you meet her? :confused:

(By way of quid pro quo, you should vote MY for Secretary. :yep:)

She came to Catz for a talk and I got talking to her. My friend and I were gobsmacked when she said that she got a first last year. We were even surprised when we found out the 2 of the 9 in the year came from Pembroke!

Dw, I already intended to! Met her briefly and she seemed alright. :yep:
Reply 7010
Original post by Slumpy
Yeah, I see that point. Didn't immediately spot m=0 myself, so I'd be ok with that:p:
I imagine at GCSE you don't need to come up with a good explanation, but perhaps just pointing out 2^x is monotonic, so if either 3m or m^2 is bigger, the two sides aren't equal(obviously very rough, but perhaps enough?).
That's the first explanation that I offered, but it's not that obvious that 2^x is (strictly) monotonic, and while it's pretty trivial to prove, GCSE students haven't exactly done much proof. GCSEs are obviously too difficult for me...
Reply 7011
Original post by harr
That's the first explanation that I offered, but it's not that obvious that 2^x is (strictly) monotonic, and while it's pretty trivial to prove, GCSE students haven't exactly done much proof. GCSEs are obviously too difficult for me...

Um...I can't think how to prove it without invoking logs and then power series:colondollar:
But I'd guess at GCSE the explanation might suffice and you can say proof by looking at the graph?
Does anyone know what the details are for organising group bookings at formals, specifically for formals for which you are NOT a member of the college?

Thinking of trying to set up a Formal Dining Society, but not sure how many people I'd get from other colleges at first and how many people they can book for etc? Does it differ from college to college, or as long as there's someone coming who's a member of the college and is part of a society they can book as many places as needed (within reason)?
Original post by ArchedEdge
Does anyone know what the details are for organising group bookings at formals, specifically for formals for which you are NOT a member of the college?

Thinking of trying to set up a Formal Dining Society, but not sure how many people I'd get from other colleges at first and how many people they can book for etc? Does it differ from college to college, or as long as there's someone coming who's a member of the college and is part of a society they can book as many places as needed (within reason)?

From what I gather, only college members can book for formal (because it's done using your card). There's also the further complication that guest tickets are more expensive, so college members' tickets can't be sold on to anyone outside.

As far as Pembroke goes, the Catering Manager has his own set of rules on top of this - he has a policy of requiring a Pembroke "steward" for every ten guests (to undertake that they'll be responsible for the others' behaviour). He also stipulates that you have to inform him of any ticket sales between students, i.e. those which aren't conducted by booking through the online system, and that cancellations are only permitted until 2pm on the day before the formal.

It's a nice idea, but I'm not sure it's practical. Speaking personally, I'd also be reluctant to start booking guest tickets for everyone unless they paid upfront - I've had too many people flake out on me in the past to want to take the risk of being left out of pocket!
From what I gather, only college members can book for formal (because it's done using your card). There's also the further complication that guest tickets are more expensive, so college members' tickets can't be sold on to anyone outside.

As far as Pembroke goes, the Catering Manager has his own set of rules on top of this - he has a policy of requiring a Pembroke "steward" for every ten guests (to undertake that they'll be responsible for the others' behaviour). He also stipulates that you have to inform him of any ticket sales between students, i.e. those which aren't conducted by booking through the online system, and that cancellations are only permitted until 2pm on the day before the formal.

It's a nice idea, but I'm not sure it's practical. Speaking personally, I'd also be reluctant to start booking guest tickets for everyone unless they paid upfront - I've had too many people flake out on me in the past to want to take the risk of being left out of pocket!

Yeah just wanted to get a general idea of how it worked, just I see a lot of societies always organising formals at other colleges (ABACUS do it all the time)
Yeah just wanted to get a general idea of how it worked, just I see a lot of societies always organising formals at other colleges (ABACUS do it all the time)

Every college is different. I don't think you could easily set up such a society without first finding representatives from a good variety of desirable colleges. I'm pretty sure every college requires such a booking to be made by a college member, and at my college you had to get a special group licence from the Senior Tutor on a case by case basis.

There was a group originally set up on facebook of a similar vein to what you were thinking about. It wasn't very successful
Reply 7017
How many colleges has everyone managed to formal at? I was counting the other day and the actual number I've made it to isn't very impressive - I've done Emma, Clare, Trinity Hall, Catz, Trinity, John's, Churchill, Girton, Homerton, Magdalene, Robinson and Downing I think. I've also had places at Murray Edwards and Jesus but was ill so couldn't go :frown: I felt like I'd been to loads, but then counting it up made it seem like not actually that many!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zoedotdot
How many colleges has everyone managed to formal at? I was counting the other day and the actual number I've made it to isn't very impressive - I've done Emma, Clare, Trinity Hall, Catz, Trinity, John's, Churchill, Girton, Homerton, Magdalene and Downing I think. I've also had places at Murray Edwards and Jesus but was ill so couldn't go :frown: I felt like I'd been to loads, but then counting it up made it seem like not actually that many!

That sounds like a lot to me! :tongue:

I've done Downing, Caius, Catz, Magdalene, John's, Churchill (kind of...), Queen's, Pembroke and oh so nearly went to Trinity, but there was a power cut! I've got Clare in week 8, too. It would be amazing to get them all, but I think I'm happy with variety. Girton or Homerton would be very cool though and I'd like to try Trinity again some time :smile:
Original post by Zoedotdot
How many colleges has everyone managed to formal at? I was counting the other day and the actual number I've made it to isn't very impressive - I've done Emma, Clare, Trinity Hall, Catz, Trinity, John's, Churchill, Girton, Homerton, Magdalene and Downing I think. I've also had places at Murray Edwards and Jesus but was ill so couldn't go :frown: I felt like I'd been to loads, but then counting it up made it seem like not actually that many!

I think I've only been to Pembroke and Newnham. I was at Emma for a dinner in the Fellows' breakfast room on Monday though. :biggrin: Do they always serve those rhubarb and custard sweets after formal? They were so good... :sogood:

Latest

Trending

Trending