The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8320
Original post by Craghyrax
I just don't bother. If people want to invest time learning languages, good for them. But nobody's going to know ALL the languages, and if you try and say foreign words authentically (for which there isn't an English translation) then you're bound to get it wrong, so best not to even try and just say the English version.
I've even stopped correcting people who say 'rooibush' or 'redbush' or 'rooibosch' :p: To English people its redbush, and that's fine.

Most of my friends who drink rooibos started drinking it in Russia, where they call it roibosh so that's how they say it. I started drinking it before that though so I call it rooibos as that's how I've always seen it spelt!

I also don't say jalapeños right when I'm talking to English people. I feel like a dick if I slip into a Spanish accent halfway through a sentence, so I just say it like 'halapenyos' or 'halapeenos' if I'm clearly not being understood. Sometimes we must accept anglicisations of words like that - there are plenty of words that have entered into common parlance from other languages and that are now said a different way, so if we tried to say everything right we would sound very strange.

However, I maintain that you shouldn't use cyrillic script to approximate English lettering. That is just bad and wrong :p:
Original post by Zoedotdot
Most of my friends who drink rooibos started drinking it in Russia, where they call it roibosh so that's how they say it. I started drinking it before that though so I call it rooibos as that's how I've always seen it spelt!
All rooibos is grown in South African and exported, and they drank it for centuries before it became popular elsewhere. So I have a stubborn defensiveness of 'rooibos' over the other terms, but I know I'm just being silly and should let people call it what they want.

I also don't say jalapeños right when I'm talking to English people. I feel like a dick if I slip into a Spanish accent halfway through a sentence, so I just say it like 'halapenyos' or 'halapeenos' if I'm clearly not being understood. Sometimes we must accept anglicisations of words like that - there are plenty of words that have entered into common parlance from other languages and that are now said a different way, so if we tried to say everything right we would sound very strange.

Exactly!
I mean I think it would be nice if everybody pronounced foreign words correctly, but it just isn't pragmatic. And I think I prefer people just giving the English pronunciation to something than trying to pronounce it correctly and then coming across as very pretentious :p:

I tried to make my fiance pronounce Bobotie correctly (a South African curry I occasionally make) but he's useless :lol: Still it sounds so funny when he says it the English way 'Bob (as in Bob the Builder) otie (like the o in otter)'. Makes it sound like a Noddy character! The Afrikaans pronunciation is 'Bo (like book)- Bo (like 'booah') - tie'.
(edited 11 years ago)
Library Whispers has closed down due to a high number of "abusive" posts.

I don't really recall seeing abusive messages. Lots of what would be termed "laddish banter" (horrid word) but I can't recall anything intentionally offensive.
Original post by The Mr Z
Library Whispers has closed down due to a high number of "abusive" posts.

I don't really recall seeing abusive messages. Lots of what would be termed "laddish banter" (horrid word) but I can't recall anything intentionally offensive.

There were a lot of in-jokes being passed around I think, and a lot of open naming of individuals and embarrassing situations
Original post by ArchedEdge
There were a lot of in-jokes being passed around I think, and a lot of open naming of individuals and embarrassing situations

Is that what really got it shut down? I knew the people involved in one of those and it was complete fiction (you could have guessed reading it)

also, no worse than the college gossip machine.
Reply 8325
It sounds like Gossip Girl :eek: Have the scandals of the Upper East Side relocated to Cambridge??
What's that coming over the hill? Is it a monster? No, it's rain. ****.
Original post by blueletter

Back home as well? I got absolutely soaked walking home today. :sigh:
Original post by alex_hk90
Back home as well? I got absolutely soaked walking home today. :sigh:
Unfortunately for most of this thread's participants, I'm in Cambridge. It's wet.
Reply 8329
Just bought tickets for the Footlights main show in June :smile:

Also, college want to kick me out of my room on Saturday evening, just after graduation. I'm hoping to convince them to let me stay till Monday morning, that's when I leave Cambridge...
Unfortunately for most of this thread's participants, I'm in Cambridge.

I think this town is big enough for the both of us.
Reply 8331
Original post by Y__
Just bought tickets for the Footlights main show in June :smile:

Also, college want to kick me out of my room on Saturday evening, just after graduation. I'm hoping to convince them to let me stay till Monday morning, that's when I leave Cambridge...

Yeah same (well, Friday, which is when we graduate). I'm going to try to pay for an extra night and go home on the Saturday instead.
Reply 8332
Problem: convincing people to come to your grace reading just before exams start.
Solution: demand RSVP via elaborate poem.
Original post by lp386
Problem: convincing people to come to your grace reading just before exams start.

Join the club :sad:
Eurgh it's ridiculous, my paper is all about modern societies and globalisation, yet they can't even provide a reading list which has anything from within the past 10 years... :/
Eurgh it's ridiculous, my paper is all about modern societies and globalisation, yet they can't even provide a reading list which has anything from within the past 10 years... :/

Castells.
Mind you if you're doing the Therborn stuff, my advice is don't :p:

:teehee: I found that the Cambridge Tripos is a bit like that. In first year one of my reading lists had a suggested essay title: "Should the UK introduce a national minimum wage?" :biggrin:

I see your rain, and raise you a rather large amount of hail...
Which vanished amazingly quickly.
Original post by Craghyrax
Castells.
Mind you if you're doing the Therborn stuff, my advice is don't :p:

Information society? I'm not really doing the media module, focussing on economic/political transformation, globalisation and global health (so's the plan at least...). Also no Therborn on the course this year... :p:

Original post by alex_hk90
:teehee: I found that the Cambridge Tripos is a bit like that. In first year one of my reading lists had a suggested essay title: "Should the UK introduce a national minimum wage?" :biggrin:

Not sure whether I should be focussing on the set texts even if they're largely out of date or not...just seems pointless/ridiculous :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending