The Student Room Group

A few GCSE EDEXCEL exam tips?

Hey, I was wondering if someone could tell me a few tips for the Monday exam. I especially need help with Currency/Exchange rate questions and Compound Interest, including the New Amount formula.
Reply 1
What level are you?
Reply 2
Unit 3 Higher GCSE.
Reply 3
Original post by ginister
Hey, I was wondering if someone could tell me a few tips for the Monday exam. I especially need help with Currency/Exchange rate questions and Compound Interest, including the New Amount formula.

Think about the currency ones as like a ratio, if that helps. Like if the rate was £1 to $1.50, the ratio would be 1:1.5

Compound interest: write the interest as a decimal. So if the interest was 4% a year, the decimal would be 1.04 (the one is the amount you started with in the first place). Then the number of years it spends in the bank is the power you raise the decimal two. So if it's in the bank for 2 years, you multiply the amount by 1.04^2.

Don't know what new abmount formula is but i'll guess it's like working out the new amount of something after it's in a sale. Say something's 15% off, you write the 15% off as a decimal. 15% is 0.15, but you're taking it away from 1, so you multiply the original amount by 0.85. Similarly, if you've got increasing a price by 20%, multiply by 1.2 (1 is the original amount, 0.20 is the 20% you're adding).
Reply 4
Thanks, can I also ask about the following, I have no idea what to do with them:

The curve passes through points A(0.5,1) and b(2,8)
C is (-0.5,k) find k.
How do I do this?

Another is :

y=f(x)
The minimum point is (2,-1)
Write the minimum point of y=f(x+2)

Please help I have no idea how to do either!
Reply 5
Can anyone help? I've not got long since I don't want to be tired for the exam!
Reply 6
never underestimate the first question....
Reply 7
Well fair point (and thanks) but I really need help with these ones! :smile:
Reply 8
bump for the last 40 mins
Reply 9
Original post by ginister
bump for the last 40 mins

If f(x+2)f(x+2) shifts the graph of a function 2 units to the left, what's going to happen to the coordinates on any point on that graph? (specifically, the x values)
Reply 10
[
y=f(x)
The minimum point is (2,-1)
Write the minimum point of y=f(x+2)

QUOTE]

when there is a number inside the bracket, you do the opposite of what it says eg in this case instead of going 2 to the right, you'll go two to the left, subtracting instead of adding. so the new minimum point will be (0,-1).
ps only the x-axis changes.
Reply 11
Thanks to the both of you, that makes perfect sense, but it's 2 marks so I was expecting harder :biggrin:
Any ideas for the other one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending