The Student Room Group

What university course should I do to become an investment banker?

Hi :smile:

So I'm currently in year 12 doing IB (international baccalaureate) with higher level subjects: Physics (6), Geography(6-7) and Business Management(7) and standard level subjects: Maths(6-7), Chinese(6) and English(5). I am expecting around a total score of around 38-40.

I've decided that I would enjoy a career in investment banking and was wondering regarding the subjects I'm currently taking, what courses people would recommend at what universities at an undergraduate level as a best start in investment banking?

Thanks in advance x
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You posted this in the wrong forum. Believe it or not some people that do economics might not want to go into investment banking. Shocking, I know.
Original post by victoria_hk

I've decided that I would enjoy a career in investment banking

Can I ask why? I've never been able to see the appeal of the nature of the work, never mind the hours, and the whole of what might even conceivably draw me to it is the possibility of high earnings.

The best possible undergraduate degree for investment banking is mathematics. It is best then combined with a postgraduate qualification in financial/quantitative economics.
Reply 3
Original post by tateco
You posted this in the wrong forum. Believe it or not some people that do economics might not want to go into investment banking. Shocking, I know.

what forum am i supposed to post it in? thanks
Reply 4
The investment banking and consultancy section. They will get irritated by someone asking this question as well, though. All they're going to tell you is that a strong quantitative degree is best (Maths, Economics, Physics, Engineering) but you can still get in with an arts degree from a good university.
Reply 5
Original post by cambio wechsel
Can I ask why? I've never been able to see the appeal of the nature of the work, never mind the hours, and the whole of what might even conceivably draw me to it is the possibility of high earnings.

The best possible undergraduate degree for investment banking is mathematics. It is best then combined with a postgraduate qualification in financial/quantitative economics.

I really enjoy the analytical financial side of business and management which prompted people to suggest investment banking as a career to me. I understand the long hours and the stress but I think I work well under stress and I don't think the hours would particularly bother me. (the moneys pretty good too... :wink: )
Reply 6
You need to make sure you are properly qualified to make all the wrong decisions, and screw the country over!

This is vital as without that skill, you will never be respected by the other investment wa...investment bankers :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Maccees
You need to make sure you are properly qualified to make all the wrong decisions, and screw the country over!

This is vital as without that skill, you will never be respected by the other investment wa...investment bankers :smile:

haha, i will! & i'll try not to screw things up....
Reply 8
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by tateco
Well you're only doing ASs at the moment so I struggle to see how you would be able to 'screw things up'.

She obviously means if she eventually becomes one. That wasn't funny. It just made you look like an idiot.

Well done.
Reply 10
Original post by Maccees
She obviously means if she eventually becomes one. That wasn't funny. It just made you look like an idiot.

Well done.

Thanks for the neg, really meant a lot.
Reply 11
Original post by tateco
Thanks for the neg, really meant a lot.

No worries :biggrin:

I like how you edited it as well :')
Reply 12
ahaha, thanks anyway guys, much appreciated
Original post by tateco

I would pos rep you but it says I can't because I've given you too much recently, sorry :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by Maccees
No worries :biggrin:

I like how you edited it as well :')

I edited it because I realised it was a bit harsh. It's just a bit annoying when endless streams of people who have never been here before associate everyone that does investment banking with an economics degree.

I'm not so petty as to neg something that I don't find funny so won't return the neg.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL
Reply 16
Original post by tateco
I edited it because I realised it was a bit harsh. It's just a bit annoying when endless streams of people who have never been here before associate everyone that does investment banking with an economics degree.

I'm not so petty as to neg something that I don't find funny so won't return the neg.

sorry, did not assume that everyone who did economics wanted to do investment banking, just thought that this was the place to post the question.
Original post by cambio wechsel

Listen to this guy. Maths students are gods, they have the most powerful brains and their course actually enhances their ability, unlike Economics. Employers recognise this. Many top economists were/are mathematicians.
Reply 18
Original post by Focus08
Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL

and Imperial
Reply 19
Original post by victoria_hk
sorry, did not assume that everyone who did economics wanted to do investment banking, just thought that this was the place to post the question.

It doesn't matter, but if you had the ability to find the economics forum (a section only very loosely related/not at all related to your question) then why couldn't you find the 'Investment Banking and Consultancy' thread?

Anyway, people have posted useful responses.

You need to be looking at preferably a quantitative degree from one of the target 6.
LSE, Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, Imperial, Warwick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending