The Student Room Group

The Super Duper UK Public Transport Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Is it possible to find out which "class" of train if I book the tickets? Chiltern Railways has many different classes of train. I don't want to be in old one, and I'd like to be in new train, and one that has business class + wifi.
Reply 261
Original post by Rtcw
Is it possible to find out which "class" of train if I book the tickets? Chiltern Railways has many different classes of train. I don't want to be in old one, and I'd like to be in new train, and one that has business class + wifi.

what route are you doing?

Wikipedia tells you what trains they run on their routes. Their timetable probably does also.
Original post by Rtcw

Which service are you booked on? Where are you travelling from/to?

You may be pleasantly surprised :wink:
Reply 263
Original post by PJ991
what route are you doing?

Wikipedia tells you what trains they run on their routes. Their timetable probably does also.

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Which service are you booked on? Where are you travelling from/to?

You may be pleasantly surprised :wink:

Birmingham to London. I know what type of trains they use because I regularly commute part of this route and I've seen all kinds of trains from new class to old class.

But, as for full route, I want to be on newer type of train.

I haven't booked anything but I want to make sure I book train that's new.

By the way, why would I be surprised? :O
Reply 264
Original post by Rtcw
Birmingham to London. I know what type of trains they use because I regularly commute part of this route and I've seen all kinds of trains from new class to old class.

The timetable is here.

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/sites/default/files/September%202011%20Mainline%20services.pdf

The ones with M at the top is one of their 'Mainline' trains while MS is a 'Mainline Silver'. The rest probably be the normal rubbishy ones.
Original post by Rtcw

Because the 'new' trains, the ones with wifi and Business Zone - were actually built between 1975-82. The 'old' trains you're on about are much newer (early-mid 90s), it's amazing what a good refurbishment can do :smile:

Chiltern call them the 'Silver Trains' - they depart Birmingham Moor Street at:

And depart London Marylebone at:

Reply 266
No MS on weekend? :frown:

Also, :O I never knew MS was that old. But, meh I wanted something new, like class 172/1, according to wikipedia, is newest. I might want to be on that train but it seems like I can't see any difference on any train classes except class 165 which has HORRIBLE interior, seriously, it looks like London Midland train (Correct me if I'm wrong). Class 165 doesn't even have table (Again, correct me if I'm wrong).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rtcw

Also, :O I never knew MS was that old. But, meh I wanted something new, like class 172/1, according to wikipedia, is newest. I might want to be on that train but it seems like I can't see any difference on any train classes except class 165 which has HORRIBLE interior, seriously, it looks like London Midland train (Correct me if I'm wrong). Class 165 doesn't even have table (Again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Not too clued up on actual train specifications, but I'd assume the ones without tables and 3+2 seating would be for London commuter services and so there's a bigger need for capacity rather than luxury.

The problem is that train companies usually put any train on any route and without access to TRUST (the system that logs it all) it's not publically available.
Original post by Riba_Info
Hi,

I am an international student. I didn't travel much by train in UK.
I have to go to Stoke on trent from Birmingham tommorrow before 11 am and be back to birmingham after 6pm.

I want to travel by London midland train. Can anyone tell me if the trains are available often like london euston to birmingham or there are only 2-3 trains on a tight scedule?

Does it definitely have to be London Midland?
Reply 269
Original post by Riba_Info
Hi,

I am an international student. I didn't travel much by train in UK.
I have to go to Stoke on trent from Birmingham tommorrow before 11 am and be back to birmingham after 6pm.

I want to travel by London midland train. Can anyone tell me if the trains are available often like london euston to birmingham or there are only 2-3 trains on a tight scedule?

As A Mysterious Lord says, does it have to be London Midland?

There are two trains an hour, but you need to change trains at Stafford. There are two CrossCountry trains an hour which are cheaper and go straight into Birmingham
Reply 270
Guys,

I travel from Birmingham to Coventry twice a week for work, each trip costs he 5.50 in West Midlands daysavers + £1.80 in Birmingham bus fare to get to Newstreet. That's nearly two hours wages! I got a offer flyer thing through from UCAS for a card which allows you to use busses and trains in the West Midlands area for £340 a year. This is the most financially viable option going and will save me loads, however I lost the damn flyer :frown: If anyone can help that would be cool.
Reply 271
Can someone tell me the main differences between buying online and at the station, in terms of pricing? Some things online seem to be more expensive, and others are cheaper, is that just the way it is buying online?
Reply 272
Original post by fnm
Can someone tell me the main differences between buying online and at the station, in terms of pricing? Some things online seem to be more expensive, and others are cheaper, is that just the way it is buying online?

There shouldn't be any difference, you should be able to go to the station and buy the same fare as you can find online, if you go to the trainline they charge a booking fee, but this can be avoided by using the train company's website.
Reply 273
Original post by Rtcw

Web Gemini shows the 172/1s as operating the following trains more or less every weekday - not much use for one going to Brum. The interiors are similar to the 165s, with 2+2 instead of 3+2 seats.

Diagram One
2A05 0600 Marylebone - Aylesbury
2H15 0720 Aylesbury - Marylebone
2R17 0900 Marylebone - South Ruislip
5G17 0923 South Ruislip - Gerrards Cross
2H91 0948 Gerrards Cross - Marylebone
5S90 shunt to the Wall Siding with a 165
5S53 shunt to Marylebone with 2x 172
1N53 1816 Marylebone - Bicester North
5N64 shunt to turnback siding and back
2H64 1947 Bicester North - Marylebone
5E64 2100 Marylebone - Wembley LMD

Diagram two
5H00 0543 Wembley LMD - Marylebone with 165, 172 and 168.
2W06 0620 Marylebone - High Wycombe
2H07 0710 High Wycombe - Marylebone
2W14 0813 Marylebone - High Wycombe
2H21 0912 High Wycombe - Marylebone
5S21 1003 shunt into Wall Siding
5F73 2255 Wembley LMD - Marylebone

Diagram three
5H00 0543 Wembley LMD - Marylebone with 165, 172 and 168.
2W06 0620 Marylebone - High Wycombe
2H07 0710 High Wycombe - Marylebone
2W14 0813 Marylebone - High Wycombe
2H21 0912 High Wycombe - Marylebone
5S21 1003 shunt into Wall Siding

Diagram 4
On Wembley LMD
Reply 274
Well, on friday i need to go to waterloo from St Pancras Intl, it's easy ?

I need to the take the northern line. I go in direction to High Barnet/Edgware then I come down from the tube (what is the right sentence to say what I mean ? :s) and I take the same line but in direction to Morden then I stop at Waterloo. Right ?
Original post by Tom_Sg

I need to the take the northern line. I go in direction to High Barnet/Edgware then I come down from the tube (what is the right sentence to say what I mean ? :s) and I take the same line but in direction to Morden then I stop at Waterloo. Right ?

I've done that route many times.

From St Pancras, take the Piccadilly Line southbound to Leicester Square (heading towards Heathrow Terminal 4).

At Leicester Square, get off the train and change to the Northern Line southbound to Waterloo (heading towards Kennington).
Reply 276
Original post by Tom_Sg

It appears that you were told to travel northbound to Euston and change there for a different branch towards Waterloo. However, I agree with AML's advice - it's quicker and easier to go via Leicester Square.
(edited 12 years ago)
Chiltern Railways app shows you the chepest fare and this feature is available on the website.

Again, Chiltern Railways does not charge you a booking fee.

Advance fares are available from £5 and if you have a railcard you can get further discount on this!
Reply 278
I'll take silver mainline train. Weirdly enough, I totally forgot what silver train looks like inside. I hope it has table with AC sockets on it like class 165's.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rtcw
I'll take silver mainline train. Weirdly enough, I totally forgot what silver train looks like inside. I hope it has table with AC sockets on it like class 165's.

Chiltern use the same trains that Wrexham & Shropshire used to use (as they were owned by the same company).

Here's standard class: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/Q_Mark_IIIA_TSO_12127_Standard_Class_Interior.JPG

Quick Reply

Latest