The Student Room Group

What A-Levels to take for Cambridge Law

I would like to go to Cambridge Univeristy to study for a Law Degree in the future and I am still struggling to decide which A-Levels would give me a good chance at actually getting in and having a competitive application.

My A-Level Choices are;
English Language & Literature
History
Maths
Philosophy

Are this any good? If not what A-Levels should I consider?

Thank You
Reply 2
Reply 3
Original post by lilzoldier
I would like to go to Cambridge Univeristy to study for a Law Degree in the future and I am still struggling to decide which A-Levels would give me a good chance at actually getting in and having a competitive application.

My A-Level Choices are;
English Language & Literature
History
Maths
Philosophy

Are this any good? If not what A-Levels should I consider?

Thank You

You want to concentrate on the humanitys. They look fine tbh but maybe stick with just english Lit rather than lit/lang. Good luck m8
Reply 4
Don't do Lang + Lit. Stick to straight Literature.
I do lang lit and got into UCL...lang lit is fine, and our course is better than the lit course. if you like the GCSE type english, where both lang and lit are covered, do lang lit.
Reply 6
Original post by judgejohndeed
I do lang lit and got into UCL...lang lit is fine, and our course is better than the lit course. if you like the GCSE type english, where both lang and lit are covered, do lang lit.

:lolwut: How did you get 33/42 on the LNAT??
Reply 7
Original post by Junaid16
Don't do Lang + Lit. Stick to straight Literature.

The sixth form that I applied to said they don't have enough places available for English Lit, so in order to actually stay in the sixth form I had to pick English Lang/Lit.

P.S. It's a grammar school in Ilford (Ilford County High School)

I really wanted to get into the sixth form so I agreed to change it from English Lit to Lang/Lit
Reply 8
The sixth form that I applied to said they don't have enough places available for English Lit, so in order to actually stay in the sixth form I had to pick English Lang/Lit.

I really wanted to get into the sixth form so I agreed to change it from English Lit to Lang/Lit

That's cool then. How come you removed your naija flag :mad:
:lolwut: How did you get 33/42 on the LNAT??

I have no idea...is it a problem?
Reply 10
Original post by judgejohndeed
I have no idea...is it a problem?

It was a compliment:wink: I was wondering how you did it/prepare.

I think you'll find it very easy to justify your choice in your personal statement by the way...while lit offers a creative writing coursework option it isn't COMPULSORY as in lang lit. You can say you chose this course on purpose because it teaches you how to write better - lit is more about analysing texts, obviously you learn how to write well but not necessarily your OWN writing if that makes sense. and obviously the power of language is hugely important in law; what you say in court ultimately decides whether your client is found guilty or not guilty, mastering language goes hand in hand with mastering the art of persuasion. VERY useful for the PS.
It was a compliment:wink: I was wondering how you did it/prepare.

Oh ok..erm to be completely honest - I didn't. I wasn't going to apply to UCL, I wasn't even going to take the test until a week before and I didn't care enough about it to try and prepare. Obviously I don't recommend this approach, I got very lucky with my score and I think my essay was quite good.
They're fine. As long as they're 3 academic A-levels, it doesn't matter which ones you take.

Quick Reply

Latest