The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I'm taking Maths, Physics, Art and Product Design(Graphics). :smile:
And I'm doing the Extended Project as an extra. 8)
Reply 381
As last year I really wanted to do medicine I did a lot of research and I'll state what is important for medicine.
Chemistry- this is essential.
Biology-is highly suggested but technically not necessary.
Maths- is very important/ essential
If you are applying for med these choices would be suggested especially for the higher level universities.

A fourth subject could be most things (minus blacklisted subjects) I would suggest either Physics/ Further Maths/ but you can pretty much do what you enjoy.
Reply 382
Original post by oli_G
yep. :]

Nice one, how are the GCSEs going?
Reply 383
Original post by Genius7
As last year I really wanted to do medicine I did a lot of research and I'll state what is important for medicine.
Chemistry- this is essential.
Biology-is highly suggested but technically not necessary.
Maths- is very important/ essential
If you are applying for med these choices would be suggested especially for the higher level universities.

A fourth subject could be most things (minus blacklisted subjects) I would suggest either Physics/ Further Maths/ but you can pretty much do what you enjoy.

Maths isn't important, definitely not essential.

Why would you suggest those? If you chose physics then that is all 4 options science based, not loved by many university except Cambridge.

Also, FM is not accepted as an A level when Maths is also offered, so that's a waste of time!
Reply 384
Seen a couple of people mentioning it. Is EPQ worth doing? I know the college I'm going to offers it.
Reply 385
Original post by maisonjaune
I'm going for Further Maths, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Spanish.

I've read through the thread and seen a few people doing similar, but I don't think I saw anyone with the same. Is it a bad combination or something? I was told Spanish goes better than French with the other options, and it's more widely spoken.

But I'm better at French. Anyone know whether this combo will be okay for going to uni etc?

Nope, a good combo in my opinion.Any language is good, choose the one you enjoy the most . What do you want to do?
Reply 386
Lol Maths is certainly important but that is true I got my information from the Cambridge website. However FM is deffo accepted as another A level when maths is offered.
Reply 387
Original post by Genius7
Lol Maths is certainly important but that is true I got my information from the Cambridge website. However FM is deffo accepted as another A level when maths is offered.

No it's not.
Original post by miss_spell
English Lit, Maths, History, French

I think I'm going to do this, but Spanish instead of French! And possibly further maths as a fifth but depends on the workload...
What are you planning on doing afterwards? :smile:
Reply 389
Original post by fletchdd02

Nice one, how are the GCSEs going?

I think well. Have got four exams left so not long to go =]

Am hoping to get about 8A*s but we'll see.

I think there should be a thread for current year 11 (wanna be) medics XD
Reply 390
Original post by oli_G
I think well. Have got four exams left so not long to go =]

Am hoping to get about 8A*s but we'll see.

I think there should be a thread for current year 11 (wanna be) medics XD

Well if you make one there will be many people who join, link me up to it here! xD
Original post by gravitationalpull
So, what is everyone in Year 11 planning to take next year?

I will talk either of the following two :

Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Economics
Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry

If I think I can handle it then I might do 5 AS levels and cut down to 4 in A2. Only time will tell.

Further Maths, History, Physics, Fashion & English Lit
:biggrin:

I might drop one if I epically fail in my gcse's though :s-smilie:
Original post by Ebuwa
Nope, a good combo in my opinion.Any language is good, choose the one you enjoy the most . What do you want to do?

I enjoy Spanish more than French but like I say, I think I understand the French language better. I've been thinking of doing some sort of Maths course at uni but I don't really have any solid plans. Could you suggest some universities which are 'good' for studying Maths at?
Reply 393
Original post by maisonjaune
I enjoy Spanish more than French but like I say, I think I understand the French language better. I've been thinking of doing some sort of Maths course at uni but I don't really have any solid plans. Could you suggest some universities which are 'good' for studying Maths at?

A rough guide
Oxbridge
Imperial
Warwick
Greenwich

http://www.arwu.org/SubjectMathematics2010.jsp
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-mathematics
Reply 394

Well if you make one there will be many people who join, link me up to it here! xD

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32159634#post32159634
are these gcses good? A*A*A*A*A*AAABC? Those are expected grades. I have already got A*A*A*A*ABC. I have already completed my AS-Level Maths and I'm hoping to complete A-Level Maths next year (Year 12). I want to take Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and then one out of Pyschology, French and RE. Then I will keep Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics in Year 13. Is this too much? No haters please, i'm not at all arrogant xx.
Reply 396
nuked
(edited 12 years ago)
thanks my teacher is also advising me to take the 5 but my extra curricular record is looking very poor so i'm clinging to anything that will help me to stand out. i'm already working off timetable to do the maths early so i might consider leaving the 6th one out. i want to study at oxbridge and failing that bristol/bath as they are close to my dads home so i could live there, he has the space lol <3
Original post by thinking...
are these gcses good? A*A*A*A*A*AAABC? Those are expected grades. I have already got A*A*A*A*ABC. I have already completed my AS-Level Maths and I'm hoping to complete A-Level Maths next year (Year 12). I want to take Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and then one out of Pyschology, French and RE. Then I will keep Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics in Year 13. Is this too much? No haters please, i'm not at all arrogant xx.

That's pretty good actually. I think wat you've picked is alright.

plus...kinda jealous that you started maths early.
but dont worry it's good jealously :biggrin:
english literature, physics, history and sociology(wanted to do french instead but it isn't running :frown:)
and need to enquire about general studies...hopefully not.

Quick Reply

Latest