The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy and Ethics.
Planning to drop Maths at A2. (If its too hard for me)
Original post by gravitationalpull

Edexcel. Apparently Edexcel is harder than OCR. That's the general opinion of sixth formers I've talked to.

Ah, but on TSR people seem to moan on and on about OCR Salters. OCR A is another matter; people seem favourable of that.

I'll compare between the subjects - I've Edexcel for Physics, OCR for Biology and OCR B Salters for Chemistry. I like Chemistry - and you're right, AS doesn't look difficult... but it's a shame how 'easy' some of the organic chemistry seems to be :frown:

A-Levels are exciting because there is no more Citizenship for me. It's not exciting because I have to self-study two A-Levels ;(

Good luck with that! Which ones? I'm self-studying the mechanics modules for maths; due to the way my school's 'option' pools were structured I had to pick Maths(STATS) as opposed to Maths(MECH) which was irritating because a). I enjoy mechanics more than statistics and b). I'm doing Physics - so the mechanics is really reccomended.

This year was stressful; ontop of all the GCSEs I self-studied most of my AS-French and ALL of AS-Fine Art. They're not lying when they moan about the 'jump' from GCSE to AS/A-level; the workload is huge! :redface:
Reply 42
Biology,chemistry,history and lit and lang :smile:
Original post by Lily Academia
Ah, but on TSR people seem to moan on and on about OCR Salters. OCR A is another matter; people seem favourable of that.

I'll compare between the subjects - I've Edexcel for Physics, OCR for Biology and OCR B Salters for Chemistry. I like Chemistry - and you're right, AS doesn't look difficult... but it's a shame how 'easy' some of the organic chemistry seems to be :frown:

Good luck with that! Which ones? I'm self-studying the mechanics modules for maths; due to the way my school's 'option' pools were structured I had to pick Maths(STATS) as opposed to Maths(MECH) which was irritating because a). I enjoy mechanics more than statistics and b). I'm doing Physics - so the mechanics is really reccomended.

This year was stressful; ontop of all the GCSEs I self-studied most of my AS-French and ALL of AS-Fine Art. They're not lying when they moan about the 'jump' from GCSE to AS/A-level; the workload is huge! :redface:

I'll have to do all of Further Maths myself so : FP1, FP2, D1, S1, S2, M3 on top of normal Maths which will be : C1-C4, M1, M2. Additionally, I'll have to do Chemistry AS by myself. I've already started Maths AS alongside GCSE so it's relieved a unit or two of work.

I'm going to be Edexcel for Maths, FMaths, Physics, Chemistry and AQA for Economics. Yeah, our school is Edexcel's bitch but the course does look pretty good.
Reply 44
There seem to be many people doing Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Physics.

Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics
Russian
Further Mathematics (Additional) AS
Reply 45
Well the sixth form college I'm going to are mega strict on not changing subjects after your interview, so I know for sure I'm doing Maths, Chemistry, Biology, and Geology. If I get the grades of course :redface:
Reply 46
Original post by Lily Academia
I self-studied most of my AS-French

If you don't mind me asking, how hard is self-studying AS French? Because I'm going to have to self-study most of it next year. :smile: I took AS maths alongside my GCSEs this year, so I guess I feel like I have a general idea about the workload, but how hard is the actual content / doing it with very little help?
Original post by j.alexanderh
No, I'm just a whiteboy :tongue:

would've +repped but reached my limit.

I'm taking Maths, French, Chem, Bio + EPQ

WELL EXCITED!!!
Reply 48
Economics, mathematics, Chemistry and phycology
Reply 49
There seems to be loads of people doing sciences on here :frown: any arts/humanities potential a-levelers out there?? I'm doing:

History
French
English Lit
Maths
English Lang
So, what is everyone in Year 11 planning to take next year?

I will talk either of the following two :

Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Economics
Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry

If I think I can handle it then I might do 5 AS levels and cut down to 4 in A2. Only time will tell.

Take Chemistry screw Economics :biggrin:
Original post by Silent--ly
If you don't mind me asking, how hard is self-studying AS French? Because I'm going to have to self-study most of it next year. :smile: I took AS maths alongside my GCSEs this year, so I guess I feel like I have a general idea about the workload, but how hard is the actual content / doing it with very little help?

My French teacher has told me that your grammar has to be spot on at AS/A2 level. I'd also recommend you read French books, watch shows, newspapers, films or whatever that is related to the language. Read up words in the dictionary to expand your vocabulary and learn new and practice old grammatical techniques. This summer is the best time to get a head start in my opinion.
Original post by Jedicake
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Computing.

I seem to be the only one doing Computing nowadays. :frown: Oh well, I've been a programmer for a long time so it should come naturally.

Flute boy does computing.

Original post by fluteflute

:biggrin:
Original post by vedderfan94
Take Chemistry screw Economics :biggrin:

Haha I might do both and self study Economics. Both are incredibly interesting! :smile:
Reply 54
My French teacher has told me that your grammar has to be spot on at AS/A2 level. I'd also recommend you read French books, watch shows, newspapers, films or whatever that is related to the language. Read up words in the dictionary to expand your vocabulary and learn new and practice old grammatical techniques. This summer is the best time to get a head start in my opinion.

I already feel pretty confident about the grammar we've covered at GCSE, so I guess over the summer I'll just try watching films in French and reading French books. I don't want to do too much work over the Summer though, as I'd hate to burn myself out before beginning next year :redface:
Biology, Chemistry, Maths (torn between Physics and Business Studies
Reply 56
I love the Further Maths syllabus. It's so interesting and I need to do M3 if I want to do Physical Sciences at NatSci in Cambridge.

You only need 3 mechanics modules if you aren't taking physics. Though I'd still recommend lots of mechanics they are the best applied modules (especially for physics).
English lit
Psychology
Sociology
RS

I might change either RS or English lit but the other two are a must.
I'd recommend Maths over Physics if that is the options you have for the last block. You'll learn a lot more content in Maths which you can apply to other fields in comparison to Physics. However, Physics is more applied so it tends to be a bit more interesting to most people.

I'm going to take 5 as levels and then cut down to 4 for a2 i think :smile:. Currently planning on taking Maths, Further Maths, RS, Latin and French :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest