The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Zazuwaved
OH i didnt know that, Thanks. What about Economics what this difference between BS and Economics?

Economics is how global economies work (think supply/demand), as well as individual economies. It's more of a bigger picture. Business Studies is how a business itself works (HR, marketing, finance etc).
Reply 81
Original post by Lily Academia
It's difficult, but it's definitely worth it :yep:. If you're taking AQA, the course is split into 4 main sections which have subsections that you'll have to study and know the specific vocab for:

HEALTHY LIVING/LIFESTYLE: - sport, health and wellbeing, smoking, drugs
POPULAR CULTURE: - cinema, fashion and trends, ... and another subtopic I can't for the life of me remember!
FAMILY/RELATIONSHIPS: - adoption, single-parent families, civil partnerships, friendship
MEDIA: - television, advertising, communication technology

All of those topics will be relevent to France and you go into its culture a lot more than you would have done at GCSE. Content-wise, there's a lot more to learn and I'd suggest that you get a good grip on grammar and not leave it all till last minute (like myself :redface:). But overall it's not too tricky - I managed it, and I wouldn't say I'm all that brilliant at French. A lot of people find the oral exam (which is 35 minutes long in total and accounts for 30% - the 70% is in the form of a 2 hour Reading/Listening/essay writing paper) the hardest bit - but that was - personally - my favourite. Doing a lot of prep for that REALLY helped me with the essay writing.

If you need any help next year, or have any more questions, feel free to ask! :h:

Thanks, this is really useful, especially as I'm doing AQA :smile: I've bought a copy of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in French - its sitting on my bookshelf waiting for the exam season to be over so I can find time to read it :colondollar:
Reply 82
Original post by gravitationalpull
My friend in Year 12 bought this awesome |CD| which had 10,000 common words in the French language. He used to play it everyday for an hour over summer. According to him, he expanded his vocabulary by 6,000 words which is remarkable. Make use of your ears :L

He just listened to the same 10,000 words over and over again? :eek:

I'm pretty sure buying an audio CD of a book would be more useful, you can learn vocabulary, grammar, sentence structure and pronounciation all at the same time, plus it has a plot to keep you interested :biggrin:
Reply 83
History (definitely)
Philosophy
Economics
Maths (generally seen as the best A-Level to take)

I'm only in year 10 so they might change slightly.

:bl:
Mines a mixed bag of sciences and humanities. I rather like it. Though economics instead of physics would've been nice, but oh well, it clashed with history which imo is more important.

Anyway:

Maths
Geography
History
Physics

(will) Have A*s in all at GCSE, apart from History which I haven't actually done at GCSE. Nevermind, my Geography teacher didn't do history GCSE and did exceptionally well in History A level and studied at Cambridge :O So I'm sure it won't matter too much.

--

Not totally sure what I want to do at uni. At this rate it could be anything from straight History, straight Geography, Economics and politics/PPE, geography or history w/economics or politics etc. or even straight politics. Wouldn't do straight economics though.

Either way, an essay subject for sure.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by Cgt
Why do so many people choose 'Maths'?

English Lit', Film, English Lang', Media

It's the best A-Level to take as it goes with everything... except your choices :teehee:
Original post by Tahooper
History (definitely)
Philosophy
Economics

Are you by any chance thinking of applying for PPE?
History (definitely)
Philosophy
Economics

WTF you're in Year 10 why are you choosing your A-levels now? I chose mine the day I enrolled at college. :colonhash:
Reply 88
nuked
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and maybe even biology
My advice would be to do 4 AS levels. And then 3 in A2.

your ucas points will only take into account your top 3 A level grades anyway, and uni offers will be based on 3 A levels.

You won't do as well as you could only doing 3 at A2 and if you are going on to university it wont account for much.
Reply 91
Original post by Bulbasaur
Are you by any chance thinking of applying for PPE?

I've heard of that term before, but I have no idea what it is, what exactly is it? :biggrin:
Reply 92
Original post by Lily Academia
It's one heck of a lot. But then I did it all in my free time - so I had no lessons... so perhaps that's why I thought there was so much?

It's brilliant though when you get into it :h:

Yeah it should be good fun. I know art will be better than this year cos none of the idiots will be doing it. But I am properly looking forward to French A-Level; it really is 'la langue d'amour' :colondollar:
Reply 93
English Lit, Maths, History, French
Original post by Zazuwaved
OH i didnt know that, Thanks. What about Economics what this difference between BS and Economics?

Economics is without a doubt so much more interesting. It applies to global markets, macro businesses, stock markets, the government and so much more. You should check the syllabus at your school!
Reply 95
nuked
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by j.alexanderh
Maths + Further, Physics, Japanese, Music.

Expecting to see lots of enthusiastic future music students, I haven't come across many so far.

:O you get to do Japanese ! I am so jealous! I got to do Chinese GCSE and then chose it for A level, only to be told I couldn't do it as I was the only person to choose it!!! :s-smilie:e
Reply 97
Original post by nerimon18
WTF you're in Year 10 why are you choosing your A-levels now? I chose mine the day I enrolled at college. :colonhash:

:flute:
I've heard of that term before, but I have no idea what it is, what exactly is it? :biggrin:

Philosophy, politics and economics. It's a really popular course at Oxford and similar universities. Never mind, your A levels just looked like you would want to apply for it because you had pretty much all of those, bar politics; although History suffices for that.

Reason why is because a lot of people usually take those subjects specifically aimed at PPE, when you in fact don't need them. I.e., for PPE philosophy, economics or politics A level is definately not required, but most people have atleast one of them. I would have economics but History is seen as being more important, and has more applications than econ. Particularly when I don't want to study straight econ and don't have further maths (to atleast AS for top unis)) for that anyway lol.
Reply 99
Original post by GMD
Philosophy, Politics and Economics. A university course.

I see, so you can get a single degree for PPE? Is it three times the work?

Quick Reply

Latest