The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Maths, Further Maths, History, Physics and Economics.
I'm aiming to study Economics or Law.
I'm hoping to do Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Applied ICT ... Is that okay for dentistry? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I am hoping to study Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Further Mathematics next year. At University I would either like to study Chemistry or Mathematics.
Reply 1323
I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths, English Lit. and History of Art next year.

I really have no idea what to do at uni, i was thinking sociology or psychology but I also like the idea of law, biology or nursing so...:s-smilie: I'm really jealous of people who know exactly what they want to do!
Biology, Chemistry, Geography and ICT (as a back up).
Original post by j3n8038
I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths, English Lit. and History of Art next year.

I really have no idea what to do at uni, i was thinking sociology or psychology but I also like the idea of law, biology or nursing so...:s-smilie: I'm really jealous of people who know exactly what they want to do!

I can help you out. Here's my thoughts based on your choices.

You chose subjects that would make you eligible to study medicine at any uni. I know i'm studying medicine and your choices would be perfect.

If you like working with people and have good communication skills...

Medicine (like me), Nursing, psychology...

Or if you like more research and development (i.e. labwork) and creating stuff...

Biotech, Biochem, chem engineering.

If you are going down medicine, your prospects with that combination are really really promising.

I chose maths, chemistry, biology, physics and doing medicine, though i was constantly debating whether i should choose physics or english. Both are equally relevant to medicine.

Unfortunately, choosing maths and two sciences really constricts your options. You may be outgunned in law by those choosing history, social sciences and more english based subjects. In engineering, you pose the risk of being outcompeted by those taking creative subjects like design or art.

And you're doing 5 a-levels? Really you don't need to but ok. If you are doing med, forget history of art as unis only look at 4 at the highest level anyway. Better to get high marks than ok marks on 5 or stressing yourself out on 5.

Good luck with choosing your career. Look at some career websites like allaboutcareers or just online. Don't leave the decision too late though because you do want to maximize time spending work experience etc. for your relevant subject.

Are these subjects you enjoy the most and do well in? Because if you do, i highly recommend medicine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Ohhh, I'm doing Sociology, History, Government&Politics and Spanish ^.^
Reply 1327
Original post by Med Student
I can help you out. Here's my thoughts based on your choices.

You chose subjects that would make you eligible to study medicine at any uni. I know i'm studying medicine and your choices would be perfect.

If you like working with people and have good communication skills...

Medicine (like me), Nursing, psychology...

Or if you like more research and development (i.e. labwork) and creating stuff...

Biotech, Biochem, chem engineering.

If you are going down medicine, your prospects with that combination are really really promising.

I chose maths, chemistry, biology, physics and doing medicine, though i was constantly debating whether i should choose physics or english. Both are equally relevant to medicine.

Unfortunately, choosing maths and two sciences really constricts your options. You may be outgunned in law by those choosing history, social sciences and more english based subjects. In engineering, you pose the risk of being outcompeted by those taking creative subjects like design or art.

And you're doing 5 a-levels? Really you don't need to but ok. If you are doing med, forget history of art as unis only look at 4 at the highest level anyway. Better to get high marks than ok marks on 5 or stressing yourself out on 5.

Good luck with choosing your career. Look at some career websites like allaboutcareers or just online. Don't leave the decision too late though because you do want to maximize time spending work experience etc. for your relevant subject.

Are these subjects you enjoy the most and do well in? Because if you do, i highly recommend medicine.

Thank you for the advice! I actually did consider medicine for quite a while but it's really competitive and I don't really know if I'm good enough so I guess that's why I started looking at nursing. I also heard that if you want to do medicine you have to show an interest from a really young age and work towards it so I don't know if its too late; if you don't think so, what kind of work experience is useful? I live really nearby to a hospital but I know people who want to shadow or do work experience, even volunteering, have to be 18 usually.

Oh and also, my school makes us choose 5! We do 5 AS's in year 12 and then carry four on to A2 and I'm almost definitely dropping History of Art anyway :smile:
This is probably REALLY late to reply, but. Universities really like it if you take those options they call them "facilitating options" which means they can apply to most uni courses. If you're planning on taking history as well, it's another facilitating option and the universities would love that. Although if you want to take one of the arts at uni, you pretty much have to take that up to A2 (:

I hope this helps, I've spent most of my day finding out about this sort of stuff. If you want more stuff look online, the Russell Groups have a booklet to help with this stuff now :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
Original post by j3n8038
Thank you for the advice! I actually did consider medicine for quite a while but it's really competitive and I don't really know if I'm good enough so I guess that's why I started looking at nursing. I also heard that if you want to do medicine you have to show an interest from a really young age and work towards it so I don't know if its too late; if you don't think so, what kind of work experience is useful? I live really nearby to a hospital but I know people who want to shadow or do work experience, even volunteering, have to be 18 usually.

Oh and also, my school makes us choose 5! We do 5 AS's in year 12 and then carry four on to A2 and I'm almost definitely dropping History of Art anyway :smile:

np. Don't worry about the young age thing. One of the best things about applying for a medicine course is that only your grades truly matter during the selection process. The better you're grades, the better your uni prospects. And you and i both know that is all important.

I suggest looking at foreign medical placements in countries where english may not be a first language. This not only demonstrates your communication skills, but makes a great DofE Gold residential and, if in a hospital etc., would be the best for medical work experience to put on CV.

Even volunteering at an elderly or health condition hospice is the best for medicine. You have to demonstrate people skills, but most importantly commitment and academic skills.

All the best.
Biology, Chemistry, History and English Literature :smile:
Reply 1331
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing.
Reply 1332
Er I'm not sure if I've already commented, but I'm taking english lit, history, latin and classics :biggrin:

WHY IS NO-ONE TAKING LATIN?!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9003
History, Classical Civilisation, French + Physics. In an ideal world Chinese and Politics would be there in place of Classics and Physics, however there are only so many combinations at a moderately-sized grammar school with limited funds (which is more geared to the science and maths type) :frown:
I was wondering, my A-Levels at the moment are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Regardless I'm planning to take maths and physics for the 2 year stint, but should I keep all of my options for the final year, or which subject should I drop out of further maths and chemistry?
I'm looking at taking Physics at Uni, hopefully...

-- Random point, but does anyone else here find themselves saying hopefully after stating their A-Level choices? I'm so nervous about getting in that it's starting to become a habit (':

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
I am definitely doing:
Maths
Chemistry
Biology

and what i'm stuck on is....:
Governement and Politics OR
Economics OR
History.... :biggrin:
English Language and Literature, History, Government and Politics, and Economics.
Well I'm doing biology, chemistry, maths and psychology, however, I'm still thinking about replacing psychology with either English literature or economics... So yeah, hopefully, I do good in A-levels so I can study medicine, preferably at imperial college, only time'll, but until then, good luck guys for results day, hope you all get the grades you want.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S
Hello everyone : hope everyone is good and well , please could I have an opinion on which is better out of AS economics or AS geography. In terms of better I mean which is easier in relation to workload and difficulty. The dilemma is that I didn't do gcse geography or gcse economics, but I want to pick one for AS. I have chosen science and maths for the other subjects: so would geography complement science as I want to do pharmacy or economics complement maths. I like both specifications and syllabuses , but which is easier for a higher mark : I do edexcel geography and aqa economics. Thank you everyone :smile:
english literature, sociology, economics, philosophy and maths

Quick Reply

Latest