The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by c++renegade

hi everyone, erm i'm not entirely sure i want to study medicine BUT anyway my a levels are Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature. I'm likely to get 8A* and 2A's and an A for FSMQ which is fine for me but i feel i've let myself down a bit by not revising more than 2 days in advance. i've done 8 months voluntary at the British Heart Foundation and mentored/tutored underprivileged children in an area of deprivation and i'm also head girl :biggrin: ooh and finally i am off to medical summer school at UCL just to really see if medicine is what i want to do.

well you sound like a very good candidate if you do apply for medicine. a lot of people seem to be doing voluntary work at the BHF. How did you go about that? :biggrin:
Original post by Lily Academia
Nope. Il y a moi aussi.

Not a single relative - finding work experience is proving to be a bit of nightmare :redface:

aw i feel exactly the same, my uncle is a gp but he lives quite far so thats pretty useless...what are your plans to find work exp?
Original post by oli_G
Just out of interest is there anyone else here that has absolutely no family members involved in medicine - i'm kinda feeling like im the only one :/

I have no family member, apart from nurse mother. I get jealous when friends can walk into work experience cause they know GPs in family etc :'(
Original post by oli_G
well you sound like a very good candidate if you do apply for medicine. a lot of people seem to be doing voluntary work at the BHF. How did you go about that? :biggrin:

Basically there’s an area in south London near where I live that’s just littered with charity shops. Me and a friend just started at the top of the road and went into all the shops. It was end of year 9 and we were in uniform so a lot of the shops said no on grounds of age, but thankfully BHF didn’t seem to care so 2 days later we were working in store as sales assistants. If you live in London I don’t think it should be too hard I mean if it wasn’t for our youth we could have easily got into the other shops. What’s your plan atm?

aw i feel exactly the same, my uncle is a gp but he lives quite far so thats pretty useless...what are your plans to find work exp?

Ohh, I've sent out around 30 letters :blush:

I've got:

- a week at GP Surgery arranged (took an awful lot of time and effort, but tenacity seems to be the key if you've got no relatives who work in the field :yep:) shadowing doctors and nurses
- an interview for a volunteering placement at my local hospital next week (Again, took a lot of letters, emails, phone calls and patience. But it's all worth it. I'm a little worried about this. If anyone could provide any information on what they're likely to ask etc and answer my qualms on silly little things like attire - formal/casual, but not too formal, but not too casual :rolleyes: - I would be so grateful! :redface:)
- a week in a Health and Research Institute at a university - did synthesis lab work and shadowed students; more chemistry oriented than medicine, but it was really interesting.
- (hopefully; this is half arranged!) a week at Bristol university doing various lab work into researching various infections

And I've sent off lots of letters to Hospices and care homes. Unfortunately, I also live in a very rural area which is making things even more difficult! :redface: Seems as though the cut-off point is 17/18 for most clinical experience which is a bit annoying, but understanable.

Basically there’s an area in south London near where I live that’s just littered with charity shops. Me and a friend just started at the top of the road and went into all the shops. It was end of year 9 and we were in uniform so a lot of the shops said no on grounds of age, but thankfully BHF didn’t seem to care so 2 days later we were working in store as sales assistants. If you live in London I don’t think it should be too hard I mean if it wasn’t for our youth we could have easily got into the other shops. What’s your plan atm?

Oh, why oh why couldn't I live in a city? :tongue:

I live in a hamlet. We have a postbox - that is it :redface:
Reply 186

I've got:

- a week at GP Surgery arranged (took an awful lot of time and effort, but tenacity seems to be the key if you've got no relatives who work in the field :yep:) shadowing doctors and nurses
- an interview for a volunteering placement at my local hospital next week (Again, took a lot of letters, emails, phone calls and patience. But it's all worth it. I'm a little worried about this. If anyone could provide any information on what they're likely to ask etc and answer my qualms on silly little things like attire - formal/casual, but not too formal, but not too casual :rolleyes: - I would be so grateful! :redface:)
- a week in a Health and Research Institute at a university - did synthesis lab work and shadowed students; more chemistry oriented than medicine, but it was really interesting.
- (hopefully; this is half arranged!) a week at Bristol university doing various lab work into researching various infections

And I've sent off lots of letters to Hospices and care homes. Unfortunately, I also live in a very rural area which is making things even more difficult! :redface: Seems as though the cut-off point is 17/18 for most clinical experience which is a bit annoying, but understanable.

I've recently (a couple of months ago) had a interview for a volunteer placement at my local hospital :biggrin:

It was quite formal and they basically asked what school you went to, what you wanted to do and a bit why, a bit about all the paperwork, where you'd like to volunteer in the hospital and you get to ask them some questions.

I've got:

OMG well done! i think you definitely deserve anything you do get, im quite an apathetic person by nature to be perfectly honest and i struggle to find the motivation to sit down and make the effort... :frown: would it please please PLEASE be possible for you to send me a copy of the email so i can use it? if you dont mind?:colondollar: ... that said i completely understand if you say no.

i think for your interview you should wear dress smart/casual i.e. a blazer or dark coloured cardigan, a plain top or checkered shirt and some black or grey smart trousers and plain black shoes. tbf i think you should wear the checkered with this to inject some youth into the outfit, non?

good luck with it all!
Original post by oli_G

Original post by oli_G
I've recently (a couple of months ago) had a interview for a volunteer placement at my local hospital :biggrin:

It was quite formal and they basically asked what school you went to, what you wanted to do and a bit why, a bit about all the paperwork, where you'd like to volunteer in the hospital and you get to ask them some questions.

Thank you :h: That's eased my worries a bit.

I've already been told a bit about the paperwork - 6/8 weeks for an application to go through on average :grumble: - but I'm just glad I've got an interview. The person who is organising it sounds lovely.

I'm going to try and get references sorted this week; I have to take two along plus records such as a birth certificate/driver's liscence (something, I take it, that proves I'm me, and not some... convict? :tongue:) a passport photo so an ID badge can be made etc. With regards to references though: since you obviously can't have a relative write one, is it acceptable to get a teacher? And if so, can I literally blurt out: "Do you mind writing me a reference?" :tongue:
Reply 189

I've already been told a bit about the paperwork - 6/8 weeks for an application to go through on average :grumble: - but I'm just glad I've got an interview. The person who is organising it sounds lovely.

I'm going to try and get references sorted this week; I have to take two along plus records such as a birth certificate/driver's liscence (something, I take it, that proves I'm me, and not some... convict? :tongue:) a passport photo so an ID badge can be made etc. With regards to references though: since you obviously can't have a relative write one, is it acceptable to get a teacher? And if so, can I literally blurt out: "Do you mind writing me a reference?" :tongue:

Oh the references have been the bane of my life. I got my head of year at school to be one and a sailing instructor at my sailing club to do the other. Both their email systems broke, so they didn't receive the requests :rolleyes: after exchanging about 200 emails i'd finally managed to sort it out and emailed my contact at the hospital and I was happy to see it sorted out...

Got an immediate automatic reply 'X is away till 20th June 2011'. FML.

And yeah the paperwork is a bore, I mean why does it take so frigging long to realise I'm not a criminal?

Btw about getting a teacher to do the reference, I literally asked my one whilst we were both walking through the school quite quickly and in a three second conversation which considered of "hey can you give me a reference for some hospital work" "yeah sure" it was sorted out - so don't worry :P

God i've written an essay

/MOAN

Yes, teachers are fine. Just ask them and they will be happy to oblige I'm sure :smile:

If possible a year head or someone who doesn't teach you maths...
Reply 191

OMG well done! i think you definitely deserve anything you do get, im quite an apathetic person by nature to be perfectly honest and i struggle to find the motivation to sit down and make the effort... :frown: would it please please PLEASE be possible for you to send me a copy of the email so i can use it? if you dont mind?:colondollar: ... that said i completely understand if you say no.

i think for your interview you should wear dress smart/casual i.e. a blazer or dark coloured cardigan, a plain top or checkered shirt and some black or grey smart trousers and plain black shoes. tbf i think you should wear the checkered with this to inject some youth into the outfit, non?

good luck with it all!

Apathy ftw :biggrin:
Hopeful medic of year 11 wooooo :biggrin:
Trying to get part time job at pharmacies, it's not much but it's something as they won't let under 16s work at our local hospitals.
Going to volunteer at hospices and more care homes too :smile:

good luck with it all!

Thank you :h:

I sent off a lot of different emails - but they were a bit... tailor fit? I mean, I mentioned a lot about what A-levels I'm taking and the reasons for that etc and how I paint (an awful awful lot :blush: - I took my AS-level Fine Art this year, with no lessons... so pretty much spent every night doing art) which is one of my main hobbies. Largely I focussed on why I wanted to volunteer, and how important I felt it was for me to gain a better understanding of the structure of a hospital and how the different members of staff (whether they be HCAs, nurses, consultants, what have you) all play important roles and are integral to the hospital functioning.

Don't worry over writing something - it's surprisingly easy once you get going. You must want work experience: why? Explain your reasons for wanting to studying medicine, your interests around the subject and what you hope to get out of various work experience/volunteering placements.

If you need any help, just PM me. I won't send a complete copy of my emails (there were so many drafts! :redface:) but I can help with what content to put in if you're stuck for what to say. I'm sure you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about things such as work-experience/volunteering etc - most people organise this next year, and that's when hospitals etc are more likely to accept you. I'm just a bit worried since I'm going to be in Kenya next summer for a month on a World Challenge Expedition - so I won't be able to get much done :s-smilie: :grumble: :rolleyes:

I think this summer just try to focus on contacting local hospitals, GPs, hospices, care homes - anything that's medically related. It's important, I think, to get a realistic view of what medicine is like as a job - the less 'glamorous' side will be far more apparent in somewhere like a hospice or care home, so getting a placement at one of these would be really good :yep:

Good luck to you too! :hugs:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Yes, teachers are fine. Just ask them and they will be happy to oblige I'm sure :smile:

If possible a year head or someone who doesn't teach you maths...

Aw. What's wrong with maths? :tongue:

They specified someone who has known me for over 2 years; my form tutor etc or English teacher are probably the people I'll ask; they've known me for +4. The head of year has only just been made a head of year - our last one left a few months ago (mysteriously... there were lots of speculations as to quite why).
Original post by oli_G

Original post by oli_G
Oh the references have been the bane of my life. I got my head of year at school to be one and a sailing instructor at my sailing club to do the other. Both their email systems broke, so they didn't receive the requests :rolleyes: after exchanging about 200 emails i'd finally managed to sort it out and emailed my contact at the hospital and I was happy to see it sorted out...

Got an immediate automatic reply 'X is away till 20th June 2011'. FML.

And yeah the paperwork is a bore, I mean why does it take so frigging long to realise I'm not a criminal?

Btw about getting a teacher to do the reference, I literally asked my one whilst we were both walking through the school quite quickly and in a three second conversation which considered of "hey can you give me a reference for some hospital work" "yeah sure" it was sorted out - so don't worry :P

God i've written an essay

/MOAN

Paperwork... *shudders*

Unfortunately, as a doctor you'lll most likely find that you're going to be swimming in it :rolleyes:
Original post by AishaTara
don't know about the job bit,but I've heard volunteering is valued more because it shows ur not after the money etc and you work with all sorts of people so im volunteering more than a job!
but sweet! what gcses are you predicted?
I used to play the violin in primary school but dropped it at grade 2, wish I hadn't!

Yh but apparently because they've introduced the ridiculous fees for unis they've started to look for people who work so that they show they're willing to work and that they haven't just been spoiled all their life with rich parents. If you get what I mean.

I'm on grade 5 at the moment. . . It's painful mannn.

Errm I'm predicted 10 a*s, two as and I got a b in dance which I took last year. I reli want those grades but am so scared especially after these exams. I would hate to get anything below 8 a*s tbh. I'm so scared for results day.
Reply 197
Original post by oli_G
pretty much. you?

Hoping for cambridge :s-smilie:

Original post by XPURPLElemonadex
Like the big fail I am, I don't do any extracurricular activities. Well none that matter anyway, I doubt being able to wield a hammer better than most men twice my age is going to get me into Oxford haha I'm planning to chalk up some activities over the 10 weeks off school starting this Saturday when all of my exams are over.
As for college courses, I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Philosophy and Economics. The Philosophy part is mainly because its academic and really generic, but it'll help with making decisions and I like debating things. I'm taking Economics because its more highly regarded than Business Studies, and I want to open my own OB/GYN private practice. Business is also my fallback.

They are probably not interested.

Surely extra circulars do matter to unis that put emphasis on the personal statement? :s-smilie:
Reply 199
Original post by nicolaangel
Surely extra circulars do matter to unis that put emphasis on the personal statement? :s-smilie:

Umm i think that to some unis like Bristol, and Nottingham, impressive extra-curriculars will definitely help.

But the sort of universities where the interview is mainly academic (e.g. Oxbridge, Imperial) don't give any advantage to candidates with extra curriculars. I think the Cambridge website says that extra-curriculars, while good and rewarding to most, will have no impact on the applications.

Latest

Trending

Trending