The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
I'm hoping it is! :lol:

I'm Penguinsaysquack, the one and only penguin that quacks :teehee:

Sounds like a brilliant idea! I'll have to do that now :tongue:
You live in london? You could always go private accom :erm:

I'd be worried about who i'd be living with and if I'd get along with them to be honest. At least after some time at the school, i'd know some people. But I guess if I start a little forum here regarding Queen Mary Medics looking for private accommodation, I should be alright. BART'S ALL THE WAY!:biggrin:
Reply 1981
Original post by Natalie21
Are you a co-educational grammar?

Surely they shouldn't be teaching exam classes?

Nope all girls! And ikr? Well we had this physics trainee last year that was put in charge of our class without being monitored or anything. We didn't learn a SINGLE thing from his lessons he literally sat at his desk on his phone while we talked :L So many people sent in complaints but the school didn't do a single thing! He finally got sacked at the end of year 10 but it was a little too late for a lot of people tbh! He made us all hate physics because those two or three lessons in the year that he decided to teach us, you could tell he hated teenagers, teaching and doing anything but sitting at his desk on his phone -.-
Stupid question, but if i wanted to to Medicine, without Surgeon stuff would i have to cut a lot of stuff up? & could i be a doctor without having to do loadsa cutting?
Reply 1983
So many Cambridge prospects here :frown: Anybody wanna consider Oxford to give us little people a chance :P lol
Reply 1984
Original post by Jemine1
It's unfortunate! Maybe if I explain to them the situation regarding my exams they'll let me reduce my commitment. If all else fails, nothing is to stop taking my textbook to the hospital:tongue: (except my supervisor)

Hahaha very true! I wish I could do that but I'm that weirdo that needs complete silence to work and I can only revise at certain times :L I'm really easily distracted and I honestly believe I have ADHD because I struggle to stay still or focus on one thing! Maybe a mild form? IDK, basically I'm a tad screwed if I want to do medicine because there will be a lot of work D:
Reply 1985

I agree after a week at a GP surgery I don't think its for me!

Seconded.

Although there are benefits to it.
Reply 1986
Original post by Mojojojo

Stupid question, but if i wanted to to Medicine, without Surgeon stuff would i have to cut a lot of stuff up? & could i be a doctor without having to do loadsa cutting?

Well, not really but it's completely the wrong career choice if you are squeamish tbh.
When are you people going to start preparing for the BMAT/UKCAT?
I'm thinking Easter time or July after our June AS exams.
Does research based experience count as valuable work experience as well?
Reply 1988

but...but... I was hoping there were a sub-species of penguin, which quacked, to which you were referring to.

I'm disappointed :emo:

Personally, I love the look of the course structure and teaching style.

From what I've heard the PBL they do sounds brilliantly structured so that was a major pull factor.
I also like the iBsc's that they offer :yep:
The SSCs are pretty varied and include human dissection so that's good too :yy:
Then there are the hospitals, St Bartholomews and The Royal London. To study within the largest trauma centre would be amazing :yep:

The only downside is whitechapel.. but that doesn't bother me :nah:

And if you've visited it the whole student body is just awesome, they're so friendly. Whether it's to each other, to lecturers, whomever. It has this great feeling about the place that I really liked :yep:

I just love BATL basically :awesome:

planning on applying to Barts myself. what did you get for A levels and GCSE?
Reply 1990
Original post by oli_G
Seconded.

The only benefits I can really think of lots of patient contact, a great deal of variety and quicker training... oh wait ... those are quite a few benefits but it's just not for me
Reply 1991
Original post by Aspire_to_Inspire

I'll start after the ASs as well and yes I think so.
Original post by Frankiej
Wow. You make it sound so good! I think it will most definitely be one of my uni choices next yearbut I'm drawn to King's like crazy as well! I really wish I wasn't because some say it's not as great as people make it out to be and I think their selection process would drive me crazy 0.o

I've never seen the appeal of KCL personally but I've got some friends on here that are going there so I'll find out from them if it's any good :yep:

Though it seems wherever you go you tend to be happy :yep:

Original post by Jemine1
I'd be worried about who i'd be living with and if I'd get along with them to be honest. At least after some time at the school, i'd know some people. But I guess if I start a little forum here regarding Queen Mary Medics looking for private accommodation, I should be alright. BART'S ALL THE WAY!:biggrin:

At least the option is there :smile:

But lets see how everything else goes first before you decide where to apply :smile:

Remember to do open days and stuff nearer the time :h:

What an unusual question.. Why do you ask? :dontknow:

It depends what you want to do but at some point you will definitely do some cutting. It's something everyone will do :erm:
Reply 1993

I think June will be too late for UKCAT because you have from June til October to take it and that's around the time you should start think about PS and the likes. I'd say November for UKCAT and Easter for BMAT
I agree after a week at a GP surgery I don't think its for me!

If you become a surgeon does that mean you have to work in a GP Surgery? i want to be a cardiothoracic surgeon. i love the heart and everything around it. was also considering becoming a neurosurgeon (because it has a lot of room for advancement) or a cardiovascular surgeon (very few of them in England). dont want to work in a GP surgery though. would rather work in a hospital.
Original post by oli_G
I'll start after the ASs as well and yes I think so.

When is the BMAT/UKCAT supposed to be taken anyway?
I've heard June, August, November???
Do we take the exam in school?
Original post by oli_G
but...but... I was hoping there were a sub-species of penguin, which quacked, to which you were referring to.

I'm disappointed :emo:

There will be by the time I'm dead :sexface:

Original post by alexandrafierce
planning on applying to Barts myself. what did you get for A levels and GCSE?

GCSEs: 9A 1B (long course) 2A 1B 1C (short course)
AS levels: AAAAAC (maths, bio, chem, further math, general studies, crit thinking respectively)
A2 levels: A*AAA (maths, bio, chem, further maths respectively)

I should have worked harder for GCSEs :moon:
Original post by Jemine1
So many Cambridge prospects here :frown: Anybody wanna consider Oxford to give us little people a chance :P lol

No way!

Original post by Frankiej
Nope all girls! And ikr? Well we had this physics trainee last year that was put in charge of our class without being monitored or anything. We didn't learn a SINGLE thing from his lessons he literally sat at his desk on his phone while we talked :L So many people sent in complaints but the school didn't do a single thing! He finally got sacked at the end of year 10 but it was a little too late for a lot of people tbh! He made us all hate physics because those two or three lessons in the year that he decided to teach us, you could tell he hated teenagers, teaching and doing anything but sitting at his desk on his phone -.-

Why is your gender on TSR male :P OMG that sounds awful!! Its always physics teachers - our school had an awful one last year!

Original post by oli_G
Seconded.

True.

Original post by Jemine1
The only benefits I can really think of lots of patient contact, a great deal of variety and quicker training... oh wait ... those are quite a few benefits but it's just not for me

I wouldn't say there is a great deal of variety as one GP told me
90% is routine
10% is emergencies/ interesting new cases etc..

starting earlier than that. kind of already started but its not hardcore preparation just quick glances at example questions and their answers. but starting to prepare seriously this christmas

:facepalm: Oh great, I've been reading it as penguin say squack...

I think I interpreted the 'squack' as a specific penguin-type noise...

Latest

Trending

Trending