The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalie21
Same - just checked and I got the date wrong lol!

Haha :tongue:
I don't have a job :smile:

Neither! Don't think I'll get one now that I'm arranging volunteering placements.
Original post by TaraBelle
thank you! :biggrin:

aha :L I'm taking biology, chemistry, maths and sociology :smile:

other stuff about me:

gcse's weren't as amazing as most on here- 6A*s and 4A's and I also did a couple of BTEC's but they don't really count :L

and in terms of work experience, I think I've raked up a fair bit:
- 3 weeks in India over summer (got to see surgeries and lots of gory stuff)
- weekly 2 hours helping MS patients so their physio
- 6 months 'volunteering' in GP, but it wasn't really anything helpful, just reception work and also a week there on my school work experience week
- attending lectures and stuff at eton college etc that were pretty good

and some general other stuff like tutoring, DofE, youth council, but I REALLY want some work experience in a hospital, so I can compare it to India :biggrin:

Has anyone done extended project on something medical? I was hoping to do it later this year, is it any use? :smile:

Your GCSEs are amazing. And wow a lot of work experience :biggrin: You sound like a great applicant! Welcome to the thread :hi:
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Spent all day playing Oblivion, in preparation for getting Skyrim at Christmas :tongue:

Actually, I watched some Grey's in the middle and did some English, but that didn't involve moving. I love lazy days :h:

Lazy days are epic...I wish Wednesday could be one but I'm using it to ring places up again and try get work experience!

but you've got something you've been doing for years as a commitment, that something I can't get no matter how hard I try :tongue:

So true - luckily I have long term stuff :biggrin:

ooh what are you doing it on? how are you finding it so far? :smile:

ah thank you! I've just moved to a grammar school for sixth forma and all I hear 24/7 is how someone ONLY got 10 A*s and missed out on the 11th :L
I'm actually from India, so over the extended summer holiday you get in year 11 my grandad(retired doctor) arranged all the placements in hospitals for me with his work friends, it was so good, they literally let me do whatever I wanted! :biggrin:

Its good so far :smile:

I go to a grammar school and I have to admit I'm often the one that's moaning about A*s :P

I know so many people who went to India last summer for work experience.
Hi, I'm fairly new on here and decided its about time I joined this thread :biggrin:

so yeah that's it really :tongue: not sure if I should say anymore to introduce myself? :L

to enter this thread you need to state:

Candidate number
GCSE Grades and subjects
As Subject and if possible, targets
Work experience
Extra currcular
Stand on one leg and sing the full national anthem backwards, and to the tune of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Spoiler

Original post by erniiee

Neither! Don't think I'll get one now that I'm arranging volunteering placements.

Haha, yeah, this is my problem!! I don't have enough holiday left and my shifts constantly change so it's hard to get a regular volunteering thing going at a care home or something, I managed to get Mondays off to keep going with Guides, but I don't think my boss'd be too happy if I tried to get another day off to be able to do more voluntary work!
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope

Haha yeah, but I've found that Guiding is one of those things that is really hard for me to let go - I was helping at other units before I decided to become a doctor, so I never really see it as a long term commitment thing, it's just something I've always done...hmm, thinking about it, I do peer educating through Guides as well :smile:

Love guiding so much <3

Original post by erniiee
Haha :tongue:

Me either! But hoping that my volunteering and my connections with local care homes will mean I can get a job when I turn 18 in the summer of year 13 :biggrin:
Original post by AspiringGenius
to enter this thread you need to state:

Candidate number
GCSE Grades and subjects
As Subject and if possible, targets
Work experience
Extra currcular
Stand on one leg and sing the full national anthem backwards, and to the tune of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Spoiler

You crack me up! :lol:
Reply 5987
How's everyone finding the subjects then?

Biology - have to say I'm finding this the hardest out of the 4. Not because of subject difficulty or quantity, but because the exam questions and mark schemes are weird. I think I'll be spending a lot of time with past papers on this one. :P

Chemistry - not finding this difficult. IMO organic is piss easy, inorganic is slightly harder, but once you wrap your head around the concepts, it's fine.

Physics - Suvat and Quantum phenonema I'm finding easy. Moment and Equilibrium I'm finding slightly harder, but not bad overall.

Maths - finding this the easiest, but not getting complacent. I'm aiming for 95+ in both C1 and C2 Jan.
Original post by Xotol

Biology - have to say I'm finding this the hardest out of the 4. Not because of subject difficulty or quantity, but because the exam questions and mark schemes are weird. I think I'll be spending a lot of time with past papers on this one. :P

Chemistry - not finding this difficult. IMO organic is piss easy, inorganic is slightly harder, but once you wrap your head around the concepts, it's fine.

Physics - Suvat and Quantum phenonema I'm finding easy. Moment and Equilibrium I'm finding slightly harder, but not bad overall.

Maths - finding this the easiest, but not getting complacent. I'm aiming for 95+ in both C1 and C2 Jan.

Biology - Loving biology - doing really well in tests and really enjoying it so far :biggrin:

Chemistry - Loving chemistry as well - think I'm on a different spec as we haven't done any organic stuff yet :smile:

Maths - Finding this the hardest subject but its still good :biggrin:

Geography - Loving geography - its absolutely great!!
Reply 5989
Biology - Loving biology - doing really well in tests and really enjoying it so far :biggrin:

Chemistry - Loving chemistry as well - think I'm on a different spec as we haven't done any organic stuff yet :smile:

Maths - Finding this the hardest subject but its still good :biggrin:

Geography - Loving geography - its absolutely great!!

How are you doing in tests and stuff for all your subjects?

I got highest in Chemistry (only person to get above 90), joint highest in Maths (even out of FM people), 2nd highest in Physics, and in the top 5 for Biology in these November tests we did (to measure our progress).

I was pretty happy. :smile:
You crack me up! :lol:

Ooh, that must hurt. Go to hospital, where you get two for the price of 1:

1) free health care
2) clinical experience for the PS

:colone:
Love guiding so much <3

Me either! But hoping that my volunteering and my connections with local care homes will mean I can get a job when I turn 18 in the summer of year 13 :biggrin:

Ah yes. Would be great to have a job in a relevant sector :smile: volunteering opens doors!
Original post by Xotol

I got highest in Chemistry (only person to get above 90), joint highest in Maths (even out of FM people), 2nd highest in Physics, and in the top 5 for Biology in these November tests we did (to measure our progress).

90%?

What January modules do you have?
Original post by Xotol

Bio - pretty good overall, just having to get used to the questions and how I'm supposed to answer them

Chem - pretty much the same, mainly questions, although it's taking me ages to get to grips with bond angles!

Phys - brutal, I didn't help myself by not doing maths, but I am getting there with it, definitely the hardest, but I managed an A in my last test so hard work is paying off

French - if the topics weren't so boring...(I really don't care about advertising so spending 3 weeks on that has really got me down!), it'd be great, but the stuff we're actually doing is generally pretty easy, nothing too hard to understand but some of the people in it are doing my head in (what is hard about present tense verbs!? You are doing A level and cannot conjugate them...what is wrong with you!? Yeah, it really annoys me!)
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Bio - pretty good overall, just having to get used to the questions and how I'm supposed to answer them

Chem - pretty much the same, mainly questions, although it's taking me ages to get to grips with bond angles!

Phys - brutal, I didn't help myself by not doing maths, but I am getting there with it, definitely the hardest, but I managed an A in my last test so hard work is paying off

French - if the topics weren't so boring...(I really don't care about advertising so spending 3 weeks on that has really got me down!), it'd be great, but the stuff we're actually doing is generally pretty easy, nothing too hard to understand but some of the people in it are doing my head in (what is hard about present tense verbs!? You are doing A level and cannot conjugate them...what is wrong with you!? Yeah, it really annoys me!)

6000th POST!

WOO :woo: :dance:
:party:
:yay:
Original post by Xotol

I got 100% in my matins test last week, showing all the FM people who's boss. Like a baws.

I got third n my class for biology. Must. Work. Harder :whip:

I'm, top n my class, in teacge progress, for English lit :moon:

I'm joint top in chemistry with 95% :fuhrer:

I need to work harder. :whip: bad Aspiring.
Original post by erniiee
6000th POST!

WOO :woo: :dance:
:party:
:yay:

Lols, I feel quite special now you've pointed that out!!

Also, test wise: Bio - A, 89%; Chem - A, 94% (I was impressed!); Phys - A, 81%; French - A, 92%

Not sure about class positions, but I think I'm top in French and Chem, near top in Phys thanks to that last test, however I don't have a clue about Bio!!!! I'll have a better idea on Monday (reports) and then in a couple of weeks time (mocks)!
Original post by Xotol

Really well :biggrin:

We have past paper tests every week in Geography and so far I've got 158/160 marks.

In Chemistry (98%) and Biology (97%) I think I got the highest marks in the class and in Maths I got (97%) :smile:

Original post by AspiringGenius
Ooh, that must hurt. Go to hospital, where you get two for the price of 1:

1) free health care
2) clinical experience for the PS

:colone:

Hahaha!! :colone: Always on the look out for experience for the PS :wink:

Original post by erniiee
Ah yes. Would be great to have a job in a relevant sector :smile: volunteering opens doors!

It would be great and would help if I reapply which looks pretty likely tbh. :/
Reply 5998
let's not start showing off again :teehee: Everybody'll start posting their results...

well done though guys :getmecoat:
Original post by Pride
let's not start showing off again :teehee: Everybody'll start posting their results...

well done though guys :getmecoat:

Xotol started it.

Latest

Trending

Trending