The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StarryEyed4
Hard one. Sounds like an interview here :eek:
Generally like helping people, and would love to work in a hospital (:
Obviously its a noble and very respectable profession too :P
Theres so much more, I first thought it was for me when I was admitted in hospital myself, and just was curious on various conditions of other patients and stuff. Then I got to do a day at Kings doing a practical session with students, and it was really fun, and helpful because all my questions were answered.
wbu??

Haha!!
Awesome :biggrin:
Well I've always been fascinated by the human body since I was about 6 and it just seems like the natural job - one where you can still be involved in the science but get to see how it directly affects upon the lives of the patients, hopefully for the best :biggrin:
Original post by Natalie21
Haha!!
Awesome :biggrin:
Well I've always been fascinated by the human body since I was about 6 and it just seems like the natural job - one where you can still be involved in the science but get to see how it directly affects upon the lives of the patients, hopefully for the best :biggrin:

Awww :P bless, ambition from the young days :biggrin:
Awww :P bless, ambition from the young days :biggrin:

It's true my favourite books were these science books explaining how your teeth work and your digestive system :L
It's true my favourite books were these science books explaining how your teeth work and your digestive system :L

Thats soo cute :biggrin: I didn't mind, as long as it was something like the hungry caterpillar :L
Funny enough, I used to treasure my encyclopedia on the human body :colondollar:
Hi! Just joined TSR :biggrin: I'm a hopeful medic as well :smile: Just want to ask has anyone here got GP work experience??
Thats soo cute :biggrin: I didn't mind, as long as it was something like the hungry caterpillar :L
Funny enough, I used to treasure my encyclopedia on the human body :colondollar:

Haha!! Yes I still love mine :biggrin:

Original post by nicecookie
Hi! Just joined TSR :biggrin: I'm a hopeful medic as well :smile: Just want to ask has anyone here got GP work experience??

Heya :biggrin: Welcome to TSR and this thread :biggrin:
We've been discussing GP w/e for most of today as many of us having been calling up/writing emails/letters with not much luck!

We've been discussing GP w/e for most of today as many of us having been calling up/writing emails/letters with not much luck!

Me too :P Although they have been used for the past couple of yearss!!

Thank you :biggrin:
Oh i see. I'm planning to phone GPs tomorrow and i'm just checking the success rate of getting one. Doesn't seem to be good :frown:
Is the problem due to confidential issues? :confused:

Welcome to TSR and this wonderful thread :biggrin:

Thank you! It's nice to meet new people here :biggrin:
Me too :P Although they have been used for the past couple of yearss!!

Haha same :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:
Oh i see. I'm planning to phone GPs tomorrow and i'm just checking the success rate of getting one. Doesn't seem to be good :frown:
Is the problem due to confidential issues? :confused:

Let us know how it goes :smile:
Many are just too busy with patients or training doctors etc.
Reply 1391
I don't want to sound like a judgemental **** or whatever but why do you guys actually want to be medics? Personally I have a genuine interest in both biology and chemistry and science as a whole but I spent a week in a hospital last week and it just sickened me, everyone was so over-worked and the hospital was under-staffed and they just seem so stressed out.

I just don't get why you'd want to subject yourself to that.

I'll probably do a degree in biochemistry or something since that genuinely interests me(I do a lot of further reading). Medical disorders interest me too but I'd hate to be a doctor.

EMZ=|

EDIT: Why the neg, I'm asking a genuine question? I'm also trying to help since some people seriously don't seem to have taken into account how stressful it'd be.
(edited 12 years ago)

Love this thread :smile:
Original post by Emor
I don't want to sound like a judgemental **** or whatever but why do you guys actually want to be medics? Personally I have a genuine interest in both biology and chemistry and science as a whole but I spent a week in a hospital last week and it just sickened me, everyone was so over-worked and the hospital was under-staffed and they just seem so stressed out.

I'll probably do a degree in biochemistry or something since that genuinely interests me(I do a lot of further reading). Medical disorders interest me too but I'd hate to be a doctor.

EMZ=|

Well some of us might want to work as GPs instead, not that I do but y'know.
Haha same :smile:

Let us know how it goes :smile:
Many are just too busy with patients or training doctors etc.

Sure will do :smile: Yeah, that does make sense.
Reply 1395
Well some of us might want to work as GPs instead, not that I do but y'know.

Yeah I guess being a GP wouldn't be so bad but I just always think it'd be a bit monotonous.

I'm not being critical I'm just genuinely interested. 'Cause I figure a fair amount of you have had work experience so you know what the atmosphere's like.

EMZ
Sure will do :smile: Yeah, that does make sense.

How many have you got to call up?

Original post by Emor
Yeah I guess being a GP wouldn't be so bad but I just always think it'd be a bit monotonous.

I'm not being critical I'm just genuinely interested. 'Cause I figure a fair amount of you have had work experience so you know what the atmosphere's like.

EMZ

Well everyone is different and some people like working in stressful atmospheres.
How many have you got to call up?

Well everyone is different and some people like working in stressful atmospheres.

Erm I'm planning to call GPs that I can get there easily. Probaby around 15-20. What do you think of this number?
Reply 1398

Original post by Emor

EMZ=|

Yeah, hospitals are great. It may be hectic but I love the buzz of it and the fact that you can do a job where you genuinely get to make a difference and meet many types of people in the process. It's a career where you get to experience extremes - good and bad. Also the actual degree allows you to learn, in depth, how the human body works. And IMO the human body is the most interesting result of the universe. If you think about it we are organisms that have evolved over millions of years to the point where we are discovering our own origins. A job involved with that is surely a worthwhile one.
Erm I'm planning to call GPs that I can get there easily. Probaby around 15-20. What do you think of this number?

Yeah I called 15 - everyone in my town.

Latest

Trending

Trending