The Student Room Group

Acting degree or something more academic /:

Im really passionate about acting and want to pursue it as a career... although my family are so against it :frown:

Spoke to my teacher today and she reckons im good enough to get into LAMDA or Central... RADA wont even look at me cos i dont have 'life experience' if only they knew ahaha.

If my teacher has genuine faith in me should i follow what i want to do and risk job security or do i do something like history or english at a good uni and get a career?

Obviously im aware of the serious competition for acting and it is highly likely that i will be out of work all the time! But i love it?

No stupid replys like 'youre wasting your money' etc... :L

Appreciate the help :tongue:

(Im studying History, English Literature, Drama and Theatre Studies and General Studies... hoping to get in the region of AAA - ABB (couldn't care less about general studies ahaha)
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi there! It's lovely to see someone so passionate about the subject (I am too :smile:)

Basically, I was in your position 2 years ago. I love acting, always have done. The earliest memory I have is of me on stage as Mrs Clause.... anyway :P

I decided to give up on my dream, at the advice of my family who were trying to look out for me and give me the best start in life.
I went to University to study Psychology, which is a fantastic subject!, don't get me wrong, but it's not my passion in life..
So after 6 months at University I dropped out. (there were other contributing factors to the dropping out, that I guess you would call "life experience" lol).
I realised that the only way to be truly happy with yourself in life, is to follow your heart and dreams. I know that sounds cheesy, but when I was at A Level, I helped a friend prepare for a Central audition, and went with her. The entire time I was directing her, I was thinking. "you're good, but I should be doing this...".
So I know that if I didn't at least TRY and pursue my acting career, I would regret it for the rest of my life.
I know I'm good. In fact I'm great. and the worst mistake I made was letting someone tell me otherwise.
I didn't have the best of starts in life, and this is one way for me to go "actually, I AM worth something.... yeah a RADA degree that's what!" ahaha

So moral of the story, I'm applying for RADA, Central, Bristol Old Vic and a few others this year.
I know I'll get a place in one (do you like my blind optimism? :wink:)

You should too! Follow your dreams and let noone hold you back! x
Reply 2
hi guys, im at drama school at the moment so thought id offer my help.

i think you should totally go with what beckythewanderer says. just go for it. you can gage from the auditions if it really is for you. if your successfull then brilliant. if your not- it doesnt matter. most people get in on numerous trys.
i came to it after an english degree and i got loads of experience from uni life.
by the way i think it needs to be pointed out that 'experience' doesnt mean how testing your lives have been and what that can bring to a performance- they generally mean the amount of work, productions, experiences youve had to grow as an actor already. some people audition with none of this and are brilliantly talented. others have relished working before hand; doing am dram, student theatre, even being a jobbing tv actors: anything helps the progression of your skill.

anyway. goodluck. let me know how it goes.
x
Reply 3
Apply for both academic and drama school routes and see how you get on.

Lots of students who their teachers think are marvellous don't get past the audition stage.

Lots of students who are predicted AAA don't get into competitive courses like English or English and Drama.

A 2.1 or a first from a top uni will keep more doors open. You can go on to do postgrad at drama school if your dream remains intact.

Good luck
Reply 4
Thanks Guys :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by jpf1993
Thanks Guys :biggrin:

If you decide to go down the academic route, make sure you research the drama societies at the universities you apply to. I know a few people at university doing very academic subjects who are involved in several plays/musicals a term - acting, directing, producing, taking plays to the Fringe, etc. By the end of their degrees they'll be in a brilliant position to apply for stage school for acting courses or apply for theatre jobs, and they'll have the back up of an academic degree (plus studying English can really help understand writing which is good for acting!).

Quick Reply

Latest