The Student Room Group

Oxford graduate applicant Marking and Assessment boycott

Hi, I have an offer to study at Oxford in October, but due to the marking and assessment boycott, nearly half of my final year credits have not been marked. As such I cannot meet the academic condition of a first which is required. However, my other grades indicate I would absolutely get a first anyway. I have been in touch with Oxford to find out what's happening but haven't yet received a reply. Is anyone else in the same position? Is there anything I can do?
when will they mark your final year credits and will it be in time to submit them to Oxford?
Reply 2
Original post by beautifulworld
when will they mark your final year credits and will it be in time to submit them to Oxford?

Unfortunately it seems they won't be marking until the end of the calendar year so definitely not in time to submit to Oxford. Oxford said they are considering my case, but I haven't heard anything from them since then
I have also made similar enquiries to Oxford because my dissertation hasn't been marked (and probably won't be until the end of the year as the marking boycott is due to last until mid-October), but I haven't yet received a reply. Given that Oxford students are also impacted by the marking boycott, I don't see why you should lose your place to study there, but you will probably require a letter from your current head of faculty to state that you will probably achieve a first once all your work has been marked.
Original post by Anonymous
Unfortunately it seems they won't be marking until the end of the calendar year so definitely not in time to submit to Oxford. Oxford said they are considering my case, but I haven't heard anything from them since then

Awful, I would get copies of all confirmed marks you have, calculate your current running average.

This might well affect your ability to enroll at Oxford even if they waive the academic requirements of a first based on your track record as you currently don’t have a degree and this is likely something you will be required to enroll on a graduate course.

Id get hold of your course director & push them for updates.
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
Awful, I would get copies of all confirmed marks you have, calculate your current running average.

This might well affect your ability to enroll at Oxford even if they waive the academic requirements of a first based on your track record as you currently don’t have a degree and this is likely something you will be required to enroll on a graduate course.

Id get hold of your course director & push them for updates.

I'm being awarded an ordinary degree - my supervisor has calculated I would get a first even if I only got 40% in the unmarked modules, which they said would never happen on the basis of my previous results. It is extremely frustrating having to wait and not know:frown:
Reply 6
Original post by CharmingCat
I have also made similar enquiries to Oxford because my dissertation hasn't been marked (and probably won't be until the end of the year as the marking boycott is due to last until mid-October), but I haven't yet received a reply. Given that Oxford students are also impacted by the marking boycott, I don't see why you should lose your place to study there, but you will probably require a letter from your current head of faculty to state that you will probably achieve a first once all your work has been marked.

Sorry to hear you're going through this too:frown: hope we both get the answers we want!
I'm being awarded an ordinary degree - my supervisor has calculated I would get a first even if I only got 40% in the unmarked modules, which they said would never happen on the basis of my previous results. It is extremely frustrating having to wait and not know:frown:

At least you have something in the interim, and hopefully Oxford will accept you in the circumstances although they have there own academic policies & regulations about accepting prospective students.

Hopefully it works out - something to consider is could your supervisor act as a reference to your academic potential & write a letter to Oxford on your behalf to help back you up.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
At least you have something in the interim, and hopefully Oxford will accept you in the circumstances although they have there own academic policies & regulations about accepting prospective students.

Hopefully it works out - something to consider is could your supervisor act as a reference to your academic potential & write a letter to Oxford on your behalf to help back you up.

My supervisor already wrote a letter to them saying it'd be virtually impossible I wouldn't end up getting a first; hopefully they accept this...
Sorry to hear you're going through this too:frown: hope we both get the answers we want!

Hopefully things work out for both of us, it is just so frustrating that we have to wait who knows how long for our work to be marked!
My supervisor already wrote a letter to them saying it'd be virtually impossible I wouldn't end up getting a first; hopefully they accept this...

Probably all you can do in the circumstances, hopefully Oxford can consider these circumstances.

Hard to say how flexible they can be.

Really is bitterly unfair, id imagine one thing you could consider is if they say no would you want to see if they would defer your admissions.
Hi, I am very sorry to hear about this. Are you an undergraduate student? I came across the following in a newsletter from the university.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/news/2022-11-14-industrial-action-and-students

I am applying for jobs/further study. How will this impact me?

Oxford, for example, has informed graduate offer holders that no student currently completing an undergraduate degree in a UK university will be denied entry to a programme for which they hold an offer on grounds of missing marks due to industrial action.
Reply 12
Yep Im going through exact same thing, however my MSc is at KCL. I only have a month left to accept but my current uni (royal holloway) are not giving me the required documents (provisional degree certificate, official letter on headed paper, final transcript). I've been trying to get updates for the last month with no luck and just being told to wait ... I even made a formal complaint which got rejected, they just forwarded the complaint to my department.

At the moment, it looks like I wont be doing a masters which is a real shame, even if I got 0/100 in my unmarked module, I would have over 65% to accept ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending