The Student Room Group

The Cider Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by superwolf
Where've all my fellow cider lovers gone? :sad:

The muscovado cider did taste a little different - drier than the caster sugar one. I found it tasted nicer once I added a bit more sugar as I was drinking it.

In more exciting developments, I've just started off my first batch of mead. Takes at least three months though, so won't be trying that any time soon.

I'm also planning another cider project: apple cider mixed with homemade cherry syrup and a bit of amaretto. I reckon it should taste something like a bakewell tart. :biggrin:

:yy: thumbs up for bakewell tart flavoured cider :biggrin:
:ditto:

Reading halfway through your post I though about trying some ameretto in cider, then I read it, so let me know how it goes :smile:
Reply 582
We're only here for the swally!!!!
Reply 583
Hmm, got out of bed at 3.30am to research cider making ingredients. I'm not obsessed in the slightest.
Reply 584
Hmm, got out of bed at 3.30am to research cider making ingredients. I'm not obsessed in the slightest.

PRSOM.
I hate fizzy cider, prefer the still warming variety from somerset, devon, dorset etc. Any recommended varieties?
Reply 586
Have now bought all the ingredients for my bakewell tart cider. The experiment begins tomorrow.
I'm quite looking forward to hearing how the bakewell tart one goes.
Was thinking if could do a battenberg one with apricot juice and amaretto. It would need quite a bit of amaretto in it though to taste right.
Never been more proud to live in Nailsea, birthplace of The Wurzels
Reply 589
Things are looking good. I've started off the cider, boiled down the cherry syrup, and bought the amaretto. Everything's on track to be done for Saturday night.
Reply 590
**** yeah: just tasted it and, despite some slightly dubious floaty bits, the bakewell tart genuinely tastes of bakewell tart. :biggrin: I also rather suspect that it's going to be completely lethal...
**** yeah: just tasted it and, despite some slightly dubious floaty bits, the bakewell tart genuinely tastes of bakewell tart. :biggrin: I also rather suspect that it's going to be completely lethal...

And with that, I'm off to the shop tomorrow to buy everything to join you in this cider venture. I honestly didn't think it would work, nice one.

How did you make the cherry syrup?
Love my cider - particularly a fan of one I found in a local pub. Like the idea of brewing my own, what would be the easiest route to go down for a beginner for brewing?
Original post by Alofleicester
what would be the easiest route to go down for a beginner for brewing?

Get a 2 litre bottle, wash it out, fill it about 3/4 full with apple juice and throw about 100g of sugar in, a packet of baking yeast, squash the bottle and close it.

Twist the cap each day to let the pressure out, but don't open it properly, you don't want anything getting in if you can help it.
Or alternatively if you've got any balloons lying round, put one over the mouth of the bottle, and prick a hole in it with a needle or the very tip of a knife, and wrap a rubber band or some sellotape round the bottom of it to keep it on, and you can just leave it.

It'll probably take about 3 weeks, it's finished when the pressure isn't building up much if at all anymore, and there should be a light brown layer at the bottom of the bottle, that's the yeast.

After you've given it a go once to get an idea for what you're doing, you can try messing with things like different sugars, different yeasts, adding in other juices, stuff like that.
Hey Guys, i'm thinking about making this hard apple cider thing too just so me and some uni friends can see what it's like. I'm thinking about leaving it over the christmas holidays at uni, does it matter if it's been in the bottle for longer than 3 weeks?

Has anyone actually tried it? :smile: Any good? Can I join the society?
(edited 12 years ago)

I confirm this was very tasty - and did actually work :biggrin:

Original post by SilentIdea
Hey Guys, i'm thinking about making this hard apple cider thing too just so me and some uni friends can see what it's like. I'm thinking about leaving it over the christmas holidays at uni, does it matter if it's been in the bottle for longer than 3 weeks?

If you leave it too long, usually longer than about a week, then it will turn to vinegar.

However, yes - the cider that superwolf makes is very good, strong yet tasty - and of course you can join the society :smile:
Hm i forgot about this society. To brew or not to brew :beard:
Reply 597
I still havn't brewed :frown:
Reply 598
Original post by Evil Monkey
And with that, I'm off to the shop tomorrow to buy everything to join you in this cider venture. I honestly didn't think it would work, nice one.

How did you make the cherry syrup?

I'm pretty damn pleased with myself. :biggrin: I made the syrup like this:

700g frozen morello cherries
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup kirsch
1.5l water

Boil for three hours or so, then strain out the cherries (I used a sieve this time, but I've now bought some muslin cloths to squeeze more juice out next time).

Original post by Alofleicester
Love my cider - particularly a fan of one I found in a local pub. Like the idea of brewing my own, what would be the easiest route to go down for a beginner for brewing?

The recipe in the OP is piss easy, and I've been using that (with the odd variation) for a while now. There are probably a lot of recipes out there that produce nicer cider, but this one seems pretty good for beginners, as you can get everything you need from the supermarket.

Original post by SilentIdea

Three weeks would probably be too long for the cider in the OP - after a week or two it does go a bit vinegary. But it only takes a few days to brew, so you could easily do it before or after christmas.

To join the society click here. :smile:

Original post by paperclip
Hm i forgot about this society. To brew or not to brew :beard:

Woo, it's a paperclip! :woo: Brewbrewbrewbrewbrew!

Original post by GQ.
I still havn't brewed :frown:

Saddening news comrade. But all is not lost. Get yourself to a supermarket forthwith!
Reading back people seem to be using pressed juice - will basic supermarket juice work fine?

Quick Reply

Latest